luukee

I-130 preparation questions (split topic)

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks again TeaCup! Again thank you for guiding me through this.

No problem! :)

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

TeaCup/All,

I was wondering about one thing with the G-325A. For the section of my parents info. on the last field, it requests City and Country of Residence. Since both of my parents passed away, should I just put Deceased? Or should I put Deceased and the previous state and country ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

TeaCup/All,

I was wondering about one thing with the G-325A. For the section of my parents info. on the last field, it requests City and Country of Residence. Since both of my parents passed away, should I just put Deceased? Or should I put Deceased and the previous state and country ?

it looks like from reading the instructions of the I-130, it looks like the best answer is to put N/A (and maybe i'll add the deceased next to it?)

thanks again guys.

All you need to write is "deceased" for that field. DO NOT write N/A.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Hey guys -

Just wondering if you guys can take a look at my explanation letter. I'm hoping that I've covered some of the things I felt were important that I wasn't able to do on the I-130. This one is slightly more than a page, after I put down my address, so I think I need to cut a few things, on top of that I'm using 10.5 pt font

:(

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks so much guys!

May 15, 2014

Name

Current Address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

ATTN: I-130

PO Box 21700

Phoenix, AZ 85036

Subject: Explanation Letter/Addendum to Cover Letter for I-130

To whom may it concern:

I, (Name), would like to use this letter as a chance to describe our relationship and clarify a few things that we feel are needed in addition to the I-130 as well as inform you of our future plans.

(Wife) and I met through a mutual friend and began chatting on the mobile application called “Viber” in February 2013. In April 2013, I met my wife for the first time in person. From then on, since my wife works as an international flight attendant for (AirlineName), we were able to meet once or twice a month in person and went on a couple of dates together. After a few months, we grew very fond of one another and our relationship continued to grow. Our daily chats and voice calls (using Viber) became longer and longer every day, while her flights to the U.S. became more and more enjoyable as we were able to see one another.

At the end of October 2013, I took vacation to meet her in Hawaii (one of her flight routes) and proposed to her on top of Diamond Head State Monument. She was thrilled that I asked, but I was even more thrilled that she accepted. Afterwards, we started making plans for our wedding. We decided to officially get married here in the states, at the courthouse in Santa Ana, California, U.S.A. on January 8, 2014. Having the small wedding here at the courthouse allowed for a few members of my family and some of our friends attend. We later had our cultural engagement, tea ceremony and wedding banquet in March 2014 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We had a wonderful wedding banquet at the beautiful Windsor Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, where all of my wife’s family and friends were able to attend. Some of my relatives and friends from the U.S. were also able to join us in celebrating our wonderful day.

Since the wedding, I’ve gone back to the U.S. and we’ve continued to chat, call and video chat while we’re away from one another. As mentioned earlier, we use Viber to chat and call, and for video chat we use Skype. While using these programs to communicate with one another, we don’t always use our real names and usually use some sort of nickname. For our Viber chats, you‘ll notice her name on my phone is “Lo Po,” which means “Wife” in Chinese/Cantonese. Or you may also see her name translated into English as “Jade.” For Skype, she generally uses this email address “email.address.com” and has the Display name “Jade.” For myself, I’m using “email.address2.com” and the Display name (name)

For the future, we would like to settle down here in the U.S. where I’m currently living and to start our family together. Even though we continue to chat, voice call, and video chat, every day, I always look forward to seeing her in person for the 1 day and half that she flies here. Being apart has been tough, but we hope that you will grant us this chance of a lifetime to be together.

Thank you very much for your understand and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

After reading a few of other sample letters, mine looks pretty bad - no need for all description...going to update it ...

Your cover letter is good, it's very detailed.

I didn't mention how we met in our application because I know the interviewer is going to ask me anyway.

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

Thanks TeaCup for the feedback, I did a major edit on Explanation letter

Here's my updated one, but I'll make another edit as you've suggested after this one teacup:

May 15, 2014

Name

Address

PO Box 21700

Phoenix, AZ 85036

Subject: Explanation Letter/Addendum to Cover Letter for I-130

To whom it may concern:

I, (Name), being the Petitioner, would like to use this letter as a chance to describe my relationship with my wife, (wife name), the Beneficiary. In addition, I would like to clarify a few things that I feel are needed in addition to the I-130 as well as inform you of our future plans.

My wife and I met through a mutual friend and began chatting on the mobile application called “Viber” on February 2013. On April 2013, I met my wife for the first time in person. We were able to meet in person at least once or twice a month since my wife works as an international flight attendant for Name Airlines.

We officially married at the courthouse in Santa Ana, California on January 2014. We later had our cultural engagement on March 2014 and our cultural tea ceremony and wedding banquet on March 25th, 2014 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

After the cultural wedding, I went back to the U.S. and we’ve continued to chat/call while we’re away from one another. We use Viber to chat and call, and Skype for video chats. While using these programs to communicate, we don’t always use our real names and usually use nicknames. For our Viber chats, I may refer to her as “Lo Po,” which means “Wife” in Chinese/Cantonese. As for her, she will refer to me as “Lo Gong,” which means husband in Cantonese. For Skype, she generally uses this email address “email address” with the display name “Jade.” For myself, I’m using “email address” with the display name as Name.

In regards to written the dates, generally, we (Americans) would use the format Month/Day/Year, while Vietnamese people would write it in the format Day/Month/Year. An example would be Name’s birth date. We would normally write 05/08/1988 representing May 8th, 1988, whereas the Vietnamese would write it as 08/05/1988. We mentioned this issue, since some of her documents that require a birthdate input, may be filled in as 08/05/1988.

For the future, we would like to settle down here in the U.S. where I’m currently living and to start our family together. Being apart has been tough, but we hope that you will grant us this chance of a lifetime to be together. Thank you very much for your understanding and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

TeaCup, Here's my cover letter - Thanks again Teacup!

May 16th, 2014

Name

Address

PO Box 21700

Phoenix, AZ 85036

Nature of the submission: I-130 Original Submission

To whom It may concern:

Enclosed please find my form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for Name and supporting documents.

Included are the following documents:

• Personal check in the amount of $420.00
  • Cover Letter
  • Explanation Letter/Addendum to Cover Letter
  • I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
  • Copy of Birth Certificate (Petitioner)
  • G-325A (Petitioner)
  • Passport Style Photo (Petitioner)
  • G-325A (Beneficiary)
  • Passport Style Photo (Beneficiary)

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage:

• Copy of Marriage Certificate from the United States of America
  • Copy of Bank statement showing joint ownership of the account
  • Copies of documents for Name’s and Name’s cultural wedding. (Flight itinerary, VISA stamp, boarding passes, hotel receipts, restaurant receipt, wedding invitation)
  • Copies of various Chat logs and messages (Skype and Viber)
  • Copies of Name’s documents (Flight attendant badge & dates of her flights into the United States)
  • Copies of documents for trip to Hawaii (Flight itinerary, ticket stubs, car rental, parking fees)
  • Photo pages as evidence to our bona fide relationship and marriage

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date. Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter.

I finally submitted my I-130, hoping everything goes well. Thank you again TeaCup, B&G, Christeen, Ryan H, NLR, and rest of VJ for helping me get started and understand what was needed to kick this off. I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me, the support was very much needed with all the stress. hope to hear from USCIS soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.