Paloma Mireles

Getting Married in Mexico & the US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello fellas my name is Paloma and I got into a big dilema, my boyfriend and I want to get married here in Mexico within the next month, but we are wondering if that would be a problem if we get married here first and then my fiance start his work visa process... am I being clear? - So my question is, should we wait to get married and get married in the states? or should we get married and then start the work visa process and get married in both countries??? -

Please, please someone answer. We are desperate, his family doesnt want us to be together cuz I'm older than him but I dont think thats a problem.....

We are desesperate!!

S.O.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

First I don't think legally you can get married twice to a same person, so you have to choose where to get married. It doesn't really matter where you get married you can start the process once you are married. Does your boyfriend have any kind of visa? Can he legally travel to US? If not then you can get married there, file for CR1 or you can wait and come back to US, and file for K1 (which is for fiancee visa) Once that's approved, he can come to US and you guys can get married here. Hope this helps, good luck :thumbs:

event.png

K1 from Armenia
I-129F Sent : 2013-01-16
I-129F NOA1 : 2013-01-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-05-21

NVC Pkg. Rcv. : 2013-06-03

Interview : 2013-07-16 (APPROVED)

US Entry : 2013-10-05

Got Married : 2013-10-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am not really following what exactly you are asking about. He has already applied for a work visa? He wants to apply for one after you marry? Why not marry and then file for a CR-1, if you are planning to live in the US permanently?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello fellas my name is Paloma and I got into a big dilema, my boyfriend and I want to get married here in Mexico within the next month, but we are wondering if that would be a problem if we get married here first and then my fiance start his work visa process... am I being clear? - So my question is, should we wait to get married and get married in the states? or should we get married and then start the work visa process and get married in both countries??? -

Please, please someone answer. We are desperate, his family doesnt want us to be together cuz I'm older than him but I dont think thats a problem.....

We are desesperate!!

S.O.S.

This is what I know:

You cannot get married twice, not even to the same person. You have to first choose where you want to get married.

If you marry in Mexico (as I did), you can submit the I-130 petition after you marry in Mexico in order for him to enter the US as a permanent resident. I'm not sure if he can apply for a work visa at the same time but entering as a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) is always better.

If you decide to marry in the USA after he gets his work visa and enters the U.S. legally, you can adjust his status (but you must do this ASAP). Find out what requirements are needed from HIM to be able to marry you in the U.S. since he will not be a LPR at that time. Once you know that, you can make an informed decision.

My suggestion is to look at the requirements first from the county clerk's office. Afterwards, you can decide.

Also, try contacting the office of your congressman/woman and ask for a consultation. Their consultations are free and they can guide you to make an informed decision as well. Explain the time sensitivity for them to see you right away. I did that (I reached out to their office and explained I was filing the I-130 within a month and needed some guidance) and afterwards I felt reassured as to what/how the process is/works.

Best of luck.

:wub: God's timing is always perfect. . . :star:"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" (Luke 1:45) ^_^

I-130 Petition (Spouse): 2/20/14: NOA1; 8/18/14: NOA2

NVC Process (IR1)
09/17/14: Case received / Case # and IIN assigned
09/18/14: Submitted DS-261
10/08/14: Received Welcome email
10/10/14: Paid AOS bill
10/16/14: Paid IV bill
10/18/14: Completed DS-260
10/21/14: AOS & IV received / scan date
12/15/14: Case Complete (N/A then phone confirmation)
02/18/15: Biometrics Appt.
02/25/15: Consular Interview (APPROVED!!)
03/05/15: POE at San Ysidro Port of Entry (by car)

Timeline

Thanks for your time fellas!

We are both Mexicans, I have a B2 visa and I always go to the US, he doesnt have any kind of visa.

His grandpa was a US citizen but my fiance is not, he was born in Mexico like I did.

He has family in US and so do I, my brother and sister live there legally; my brother with a Greencard and my sister is a US citizen.

His uncle lives in the states legally and he said he will help him with the work visa process, but my question now that i saw all this is, that if it would be a problem if we get married here in Mexico and then we moved to the States. like I said, we are Mexicans but we want to move to the US legally

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My first assumption is that the work visa is pie in the sky.

Work Visa's usually come with a dependent option, I think they all do.

Which work visa is he going for, there are many varieties.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks for your time fellas!

We are both Mexicans, I have a B2 visa and I always go to the US, he doesnt have any kind of visa.

His grandpa was a US citizen but my fiance is not, he was born in Mexico like I did.

He has family in US and so do I, my brother and sister live there legally; my brother with a Greencard and my sister is a US citizen.

His uncle lives in the states legally and he said he will help him with the work visa process, but my question now that i saw all this is, that if it would be a problem if we get married here in Mexico and then we moved to the States. like I said, we are Mexicans but we want to move to the US legally

First I don't think legally you can get married twice to a same person, so you have to choose where to get married. It doesn't really matter where you get married you can start the process once you are married. Does your boyfriend have any kind of visa? Can he legally travel to US? If not then you can get married there, file for CR1 or you can wait and come back to US, and file for K1 (which is for fiancee visa) Once that's approved, he can come to US and you guys can get married here. Hope this helps, good luck :thumbs:

Timeline

My first assumption is that the work visa is pie in the sky.

Work Visa's usually come with a dependent option, I think they all do.

Which work visa is he going for, there are many varieties.

We are not sure yet, he is still looking for that. We are going through the type of work visas so we can see which one would work better for us

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

L1 comes with a L2 for you that allows you to work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.