jft

Russian passport renewal in US?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The big pain with the Russian visa is getting an 'invitation'. If you want to do it by the book then your fiancé can apply for the invitation (in which case he can also state for multiple entry visa -- though officials probably will not want to give multiple entry because they are unaware of the recent changes as was in my case). Once you have the invitation its straight forward to apply. I think that unless you do it in person at the embassy, you will have to go through an agency (i.e. you cannot mail the embassy directly anymore).

There are other ways of getting the 'invitation'... there are services that basically sell and expedite it online since getting it by the book takes a long time.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her internal passport will be fine on the streets of Russia, but if she wants to return to USA and experiences slow motion in Russia on the passport renewal, it could be a longer vacation than she planned on. Sounds safer to do it here in the US.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

The big pain with the Russian visa is getting an 'invitation'. If you want to do it by the book then your fiancé can apply for the invitation (in which case he can also state for multiple entry visa -- though officials probably will not want to give multiple entry because they are unaware of the recent changes as was in my case). Once you have the invitation its straight forward to apply. I think that unless you do it in person at the embassy, you will have to go through an agency (i.e. you cannot mail the embassy directly anymore).

There are other ways of getting the 'invitation'... there are services that basically sell and expedite it online since getting it by the book takes a long time.

The agency I listed upthread takes care of the invitation for you, so I have never had to worry about that. Just don't forget to get the visa registered in Russia if you will be there more than 7 business (working) days.

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/04/2014 - NOA1 Notice Date / NOA1 Уведомление Дата

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/05/2014 - Check Cashed by TSC / Чек обналичены TSC

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy / Поступило NOA1 Печатная

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/14/2014 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy / Поступила NOA2 Жесткий диск

10/16/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC / Дело Отгружено NVC

10/23/2014 - Case Received by NVC / Дело Поступило NVC

10/24/2014 - Case Number Assigned by NVC / Номер дела, присвоенный NVC

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

11/24/2014 - Medical Exam / Медицинский экзамен

11/26/2014 - K-1 Interview (Approved!!) / K-1 Интервью (утвержденный!!)

event.png

Timeline

Hey I'm from Texas too! (:

Well, I certainly don't want to do anything that could

Potentially get me banned from ever going back. Or for a certain amount of time, at least. But I reeeeally need to be there with him. And ideally, I would love to get the 3 year visa. Our plan is for me to go back to Russia in Deember after the interview (projected to be in August) so that I can meet his dad & then he would come back to the US with me. We're not selling his home or anything so I really want to be able to go back to Russia often without having to do the whole visa thing all over again each time. If you use an agency & you get the invitation, is that it? No interview? That hardly seems legit. It would be amazing if that's all there is to it!

Well just noticed you're actually from Oklahoma. Oops! Saw Texasav8r & jumped to conclusions! :$

04/23/2014- Mailed I-129F petition

04/24/2014- Arrived at Dallas lockbox

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

05/01/2014- Received NOA1 hardcopy, Alien Registration # changed

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

09/22/2014- Received electronic NOA2 dated 9/19/2014

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

12/17/2014- Interview: APPROVED

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

04/06/2015- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1 for all three

04/13/2015- Received NOA1 hardcopies for all three dated 4/3/2015
04/18/2015- Received NOA for biometrics appointment dated 4/10/2015

04/28/2015- Biometrics appointment in Houston

Timeline

Hey I'm from Texas too! (:

Well, I certainly don't want to do anything that could

Potentially get me banned from ever going back. Or for a certain amount of time, at least. But I reeeeally need to be there with him. And ideally, I would love to get the 3 year visa. Our plan is for me to go back to Russia in Deember after the interview (projected to be in August) so that I can meet his dad & then he would come back to the US with me. We're not selling his home or anything so I really want to be able to go back to Russia often without having to do the whole visa thing all over again each time. If you use an agency & you get the invitation, is that it? No interview? That hardly seems legit. It would be amazing if that's all there is to it!

Well just noticed you're actually from Oklahoma. Oops! Saw Texasav8r & jumped to conclusions! :$

Howdy.....I am actually from Texas...just moved to Oklahoma (not by choice :) ) from Austin as my office was closed there.

It is totally legit and I have used the agency many times. They are very nice to work with and they make it a breeze. You do not have to attend an interview (although they do say that there is a remote possibility if they need to call you in for some reason, but that is extremely rare). Like I mentioned, fill out a form, send a couple of photos and your passport (I always use Fedex Ground) and they will handle the rest.

They forward your paperwork and passport to the Russian Embassy in San Fran or Wash DC after they review it and you specify how you want it returned to you (I always pick the standard 2 day Fedex). The invitation is handled by them and the Visa will be in your passport when it is returned to you. It really is very simple and worth the price. The 3 year is a good idea and only costs a little more. You will need to provide additional documents (w-2's, bank statements, etc.) for the 3 year though and it requires a little more effort, but again, very much worth it IMO.

02/28/2014 - I-129f Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center / Я-129F Принято и направляется в сервисный центр Техаса

03/05/2014 - NOA1 Received via Email & Text / NOA1 полученных через электронную почту и текст

03/06/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed / Регистрационный номер иностранца Изменен

10/09/2014 - NOA2 Received via Email & Text / NOA2 редакцию по электронной почте и текста (219 DAYS!!)

10/27/2014 - Case Left NVC for Moscow Consulate / Дело Левый NVC для Москва консульства

10/29/2014 - Moscow Consulate Received Case and Changed Status to Ready / Москва Консульство получил случай и изменила статус Готов

event.png

that waytorussia works. i personally used a local agency in my city that says they do all russian related documents including passport renewal and some tax stuff and visas. i got a russian visa for the first time actually a year ago (april 25. 2013) and they got it to me near end of may but called me the day visa was approved (about mid may) so I could buy ticket asap (wifes vacations started june 6). it was a 3 year multiple entry too. but pricey. prob would be faster had it not been for may celebrations too. their site is www.russerv.com i think.

why not call them and ask for how long they take to do passport renewals and if so maybr you can mail them passport and for visa the same. (speaking to 2 persons in thread)

also i think they are part of a bigger network so maybe they know someone in your city

PS: wait I just remembered, to OP, cant you also renew passport in gosuslugi? i know for sure you can apply but you may have to be living in russia

sorry for disorganized post, im on a phone :/

udate: just read texas post and yeah i agree with him except i didnt need to do anything they filled form and didnt ask me for any documentation other than photos and passport. 3 year visa was like 400 something. they did ask me question while they filled it but no documentation.

btw my visa didnt have an invitation although they did make up a random one with some random hotel i didnt use. I was worried about that but at poe guy made a call and boom. i was in. i did register everywhere I went

Kind of side tracked, but what visa agency? And does this work for US citizens? I'll hopefully be traveling to go to the interview with my fiancé' & I'm kinda terrified of having to interview for the visa. Not to mention that I don't know which one to apply for to get there.

My fiancé' just got his foreign passport in November. Applied for it in July. Took 4 months. He said that renewals are faster. I've read that people have entered Russia with about a week left before expiration then they renewed it there. Even four months is better than six. And if I'm not mistaken, since you're already married, if she has a US passport now, she can leave Russia before her Russian passport is finished because she uses that to enter the US anyway, not the Russian passport. Just a thought.

Edited by Snipe

Always double check your documents and forms. Not only do you get delayed by RFEs and Checklists, but the time it takes for them to review the new items you send could be used to approve more applications. Save yourself and others valuable time!

Current Status: NVC:
-Assigned and Received NVC Case Number, IIN, and BIN April 18, 2014. (100% sure case # was assigned today because I called twice and it wasn't assigned in the morning when they opened but in the afternoon it was)
*Could not provide email then as case was still being updated in their system
-On April 21, 2014 I was able to provide my email and beneficiary's.
-On April 28 I was able to fill out DS-261
-On April 29 I received and paid AOS Fee (at 1pm)
-On May 1 I received and paid IV Fee (at 1pm [became available]), also AOS Fee shows as PAID
-On May 5 IV Fee shows as PAID and DS-260 became available and was completed. Also, AOS Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 7 IV Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 28 AOS Accepted

-On June 2 IV Accepted/Case Complete

-On June 11 Interview Email Received

-On July 3 Interview at Moscow

Note: Medical Exam scheduled after interview letter received by calling the specific clinic, earliest appointment was 2 weeks ahead)

-Visa approved, came to us, got greencard, sadly things didnt go well and divorced. Last I hears she was still in the US and got a full greencard (I notified USCIS of divorce though)

Timeline

PS: wait I just remembered, to OP, cant you also renew passport in gosuslugi? i know for sure you can apply but you may have to be living in russia

sorry for disorganized post, im on a phone :/

Haha Snipe loves gosuslugi! He suggested it to me for my fiancé to get his police certificates. We're currently going through registering on there to be able to. He's done as much as he can online, now just has to take his documents to a office in Central Sochi to verify.

Howdy fellow Texan! Thank you soooo much for the info! I am SO thankful I asked on here. I've been dreading the day I had to start the process for this visa. My fiancé was denied a tourist visa back in December to come here & from that experience, I just never wanted to have to apply for a visa. Russian government scares me! This puts me so at ease. Again, thank you!

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

Timeline

Haha Snipe loves gosuslugi! He suggested it to me for my fiancé to get his police certificates. We're currently going through registering on there to be able to. He's done as much as he can online, now just has to take his documents to a office in Central Sochi to verify.

Howdy fellow Texan! Thank you soooo much for the info! I am SO thankful I asked on here. I've been dreading the day I had to start the process for this visa. My fiancé was denied a tourist visa back in December to come here & from that experience, I just never wanted to have to apply for a visa. Russian government scares me! This puts me so at ease. Again, thank you!

Anything for a fellow Texan :). Don't worry about the Russian government, they are fine. The first visit will be a bit of a culture shock and there are many aspects of the culture that you will notice a big difference in within minutes of your arrival, but do not worry. They are quite different in their approach to daily life and customer service is virtually non-existent so don't look for friendly smiles around every corner, however, they are a very friendly and loving family-oriented people and once they know you, there is a huge difference in how they interact with you. I could go on for pages about what to expect and look out for but do not wish to derail this thread.

I highly recommend a book by Walter Parchomenko called "A Weak American in Russia and Ukraine" http://www.amazon.com/Weak-American-Russia-Ukraine-Misadventures/dp/147833634X

It has a great deal of valuable information regarding the country and culture and is quite humorous too :).

Sorry for going Off Topic OP. FWIW, my fiance' just made a 7 hour drive to Kazan to renew her passport 3 weeks ago and was told to expect it in a month. I will update the exact amount of time it took when she receives it.

Edited by Texasav8r

event.png

Timeline

Dual post...ooops.

Edited by Texasav8r

event.png

you know, gosuslugi is probably the only thing that works properly in russia when it comes to government. probably because you cant bribe a computer or it cant blackmail you into submitting obscure documents and then after asking for more in attempt to just make you ask for a bribe.

so yeah its probably why its sp efficient and useful. I know for sure you can apply for international passport through there because thats how my wife got hers but dont know about renwal since eitherway they are 10 year passports.

Always double check your documents and forms. Not only do you get delayed by RFEs and Checklists, but the time it takes for them to review the new items you send could be used to approve more applications. Save yourself and others valuable time!

-Assigned and Received NVC Case Number, IIN, and BIN April 18, 2014. (100% sure case # was assigned today because I called twice and it wasn't assigned in the morning when they opened but in the afternoon it was)
-On May 1 I received and paid IV Fee (at 1pm [became available]), also AOS Fee shows as PAID
-On May 5 IV Fee shows as PAID and DS-260 became available and was completed. Also, AOS Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 28 AOS Accepted

Note: Medical Exam scheduled after interview letter received by calling the specific clinic, earliest appointment was 2 weeks ahead)

-Visa approved, came to us, got greencard, sadly things didnt go well and divorced. Last I hears she was still in the US and got a full greencard (I notified USCIS of divorce though)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This is a very helpful thread, thanks to all that have contributed as I will soon be going through the three year visa application. On my first three visa applications, the service I used (a local visa/passport service) told me I would need to demonstrate a need for the three year version with multiple single or dual entry visas. Hopefully, three so far will be enough.

Meghan, enjoy your time at the interview. If you need a great place to stay in Moscow about six blocks from the consulate send me a note, or look at my thread about hotels in Moscow. We found a very modern apartment on the same road as the consulate called Apartments on Sadoskaya-Kudrinskaya Street. Booked it through Booking.com, and it was very reasonable (four days, three nights for around $700). They only take cash (rubles), but the convenience was worth it along with the flexibility for checking in and checking out.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

$700 sounds a bit pricey for 3 nights especially if you are really just going to be sleeping there. Izmaelova area there are a few hotels, gamma, delta and they are under $100 dollars and they are really nice. Definitely better than a holiday inn or something of the sort in the States. They are more of the type of the chocolate in the pillow and shoe shinning stuff in the closet type. they even have towel robes for when you shower. It was about 3 min from metro (basically to exit complex of hotels since metro is right there) and I think you dont need to to transfer more than once to get to embassy, about 20 min max. 15 to red square. They dont charge extra for registration and everyone speaks English. The only thing is you should order ahead of time, for my 2nd trip to Moscow I didn't order in time and while there were rooms, they were pricier. You gotta order like 2 weeks ahead probably to get good price, kind of how you can get Kupe for the price of platzcard in RZD if you buy a month ahead :P

They also take American credit cards so no need to be carrying that much cash with you. oh and have good exchange rate. oh and everything is safe or at least looks safe. even night.

lol my post sounds like an ad for them but frankly I was impressed.

PS: you dont need to demonstrate nothing for 3 year multi entry. If they refuse to do it, go to another agency. I got mine on the first trip without issues.

Edited by Snipe

-On May 28 AOS Accepted

Timeline

This is a very helpful thread, thanks to all that have contributed as I will soon be going through the three year visa application. On my first three visa applications, the service I used (a local visa/passport service) told me I would need to demonstrate a need for the three year version with multiple single or dual entry visas. Hopefully, three so far will be enough.

Meghan, enjoy your time at the interview. If you need a great place to stay in Moscow about six blocks from the consulate send me a note, or look at my thread about hotels in Moscow. We found a very modern apartment on the same road as the consulate called Apartments on Sadoskaya-Kudrinskaya Street. Booked it through Booking.com, and it was very reasonable (four days, three nights for around $700). They only take cash (rubles), but the convenience was worth it along with the flexibility for checking in and checking out.

We love booking.com! We only discovered it when we were planning our trip to Turkey and he spoke to a travel agent about what hotels were best. I can totally understand paying more because of the convenience. That really is close! But since its going to cost me close to $1,500 to get there myself, that's waaaay out of price range :(

$700 sounds a bit pricey for 3 nights especially if you are really just going to be sleeping there. Izmaelova area there are a few hotels, gamma, delta and they are under $100 dollars and they are really nice. Definitely better than a holiday inn or something of the sort in the States. They are more of the type of the chocolate in the pillow and shoe shinning stuff in the closet type. they even have towel robes for when you shower. It was about 3 min from metro (basically to exit complex of hotels since metro is right there) and I think you dont need to to transfer more than once to get to embassy, about 20 min max. 15 to red square. They dont charge extra for registration and everyone speaks English. The only thing is you should order ahead of time, for my 2nd trip to Moscow I didn't order in time and while there were rooms, they were pricier. You gotta order like 2 weeks ahead probably to get good price, kind of how you can get Kupe for the price of platzcard in RZD if you buy a month ahead :P

They also take American credit cards so no need to be carrying that much cash with you. oh and have good exchange rate. oh and everything is safe or at least looks safe. even night.

lol my post sounds like an ad for them but frankly I was impressed.

PS: you dont need to demonstrate nothing for 3 year multi entry. If they refuse to do it, go to another agency. I got mine on the first trip without issues.

We will look into those because that's a lot more reasonable. Its just going to cost us too much to get there in the first place to then spend so much on a hotel. Did you use an online agency or visit an actual office? One of the other members gave me the link to an online agency that he uses but it worries me a little. I mean, he uses it so I shouldn't worry too much. But I'm just a little worried about mailing off my passport and that much money.

Also consider airbnb, you can find much cheaper places there (hotels are very expensive in moscow!)

Is that a website or something where you find hotels? Yes, we're starting to realize just how expensive!

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

Timeline

Is that a website or something where you find hotels? Yes, we're starting to realize just how expensive!

Its a website where people can rent out their apartment or a room in their apartment. I just started using it (a friend recommended it to me) and so far its been great. The way it works is: search for an apartment or room. Each listing has a profile with pictures, information and reviews (I usually try to go to those that have been reviewed the most to make sure they are legit -- and positively reviewed!). Before booking its a good idea writing the owner a message introducing yourself and asking about availability since many times they have to decide whether or not they take you (you will need a profile and can opt to cross-verify your identity with Facebook/linkedin etc.

I suggest you just look at the listings around moscow and the prices (don't focus on the area near the embassy since moving around in metro is quite easy and cheap... just make sure you have good access to metro). If it looks good give it a try! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.