Papetica09

Intent to marry letter does it have to be notarized?

38 posts in this topic

I like that! Very true :idea:

I submitted mine and my wife's I-129F last Jul. Other than pictures, the letter of intent, relationship summary, etc ( of course), there was nothing in the package that were orginals and/or notorized. When we/I say originals, I think we're talking about passports, birth certs, divorce decrees, translations, etc. Nothing original or notorized included along those lines. I did, however, sign, print my name under and date every paper at the bottom...along w/her signature on some along w/mine. The package took me about 2 months to complete from the time we started researching, to completing and shipping. The key is to prove that the relationship is legit, neither of you are criminals, marriage will happen and there is a means of support. They want your spouse to come to the US and not have to be taken care of by our government.

We got no RFEs and approved in 46 days.

Thank you!

K1 Visa

Service Center :         Texas Service Center

Transferred?               California Service Center on 2014-08-11

Consulate :                Dominican Republic

I-129F Sent :              2014-05-15

I-129F NOA1 :            2014-05-22                

I-129F NOA2 :            2014-09-16

NVC Received :         2014-10-07

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :           2014-10-09

NVC Left : 2014-10-22

Consulate Received :  2014-10-23

Interview Date :          2015-01-13 

Interview Result :       Approved:                 

Marriage :  2015-06-06

Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 117 days from your NOA1 date.  Your interview took 236 days from your I-129F NOA1 date

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed :                2015-04-11

NOA Date :                2015-04-17  

Bio. Appt. :                2015-05-12

Approved : Yes     Green Card Received: 2015-10-20

Employment Authorization Document

Approved Date :         2015-07-02

Date Card Received :  2015-07-15   ----Estimates/Stats :Your EAD was approved in 82 days.

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office :               Vermont Service Center

Date Filed :                2017-07-17

NOA Date :                2017-08-01

RFE(s) :    2018-11-16

Bio. Appt. :                2017-09-06

Interview Date :          No-Interview

Approval / Denial Date :   2018-12-18

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp :        Yes

Green Card Received :               

Comments :

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are we talking about proof to send along with USCIS I129(f) or docs for embassy interview? For the former, a definite no, but the docs you prepare for them must have original inked signatures.

For the embassy interview, that is a bit murky, but generally speaking, any govt docs need to be official copies from the govt office that issues them. Your own signature does not need to be notarized (I don't think), but I took no chances and did it anyway. Cost a total of 10 minutes of my time.

Translations from foreign languages do not need to be notarized, but they need an original signed statement from the translator that he/she is competent to translate and did a true and correct translation.

And the translator cannot be the petitioner or beneficiary. I found that one out since my last fiance was a professional English-Russian interpreter, well qualified to translate, but not for this since she is the beneficiary.

Edited by Al422

Are we talking about proof to send along with USCIS I129(f) or docs for embassy interview? For the former, a definite no, but the docs you prepare for them must have original inked signatures.

For the embassy interview, that is a bit murky, but generally speaking, any govt docs need to be official copies from the govt office that issues them. Your own signature does not need to be notarized (I don't think), but I took no chances and did it anyway. Cost a total of 10 minutes of my time.

Translations from foreign languages do not need to be notarized, but they need an original signed statement from the translator that he/she is competent to translate and did a true and correct translation.

And the translator cannot be the petitioner or beneficiary. I found that one out since my last fiance was a professional English-Russian interpreter, well qualified to translate, but not for this since she is the beneficiary.

Thank you so much!

K1 Visa

Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 117 days from your NOA1 date.  Your interview took 236 days from your I-129F NOA1 date

Adjustment of Status

Date Card Received :  2015-07-15   ----Estimates/Stats :Your EAD was approved in 82 days.

Lifting Conditions

Green Card Received :               

Comments :

Here's an interesting question I just thought about: If the signatures must be original, yet the beneficiary e-mails a notarized copy of the G-325A and the letter of intent would that be considered an original signature because it was notarized. The notary is stating that this person who signed the document was identified to them and they are so stating this by placing their notary stamp on this document. Then the person takes that notarized document and submits a copy of it to the USCIS--via e-mail to the petitioner who prints it out and includes it in the I-129F package. So would having the document notarized take the place of having to spend hundreds of dollars to have the original document sent from overseas?

Just wondering. (of course I realize that it will depend on the USCIS person handling each case)

Dave

Here's an interesting question I just thought about: If the signatures must be original, yet the beneficiary e-mails a notarized copy of the G-325A and the letter of intent would that be considered an original signature because it was notarized. The notary is stating that this person who signed the document was identified to them and they are so stating this by placing their notary stamp on this document. Then the person takes that notarized document and submits a copy of it to the USCIS--via e-mail to the petitioner who prints it out and includes it in the I-129F package. So would having the document notarized take the place of having to spend hundreds of dollars to have the original document sent from overseas?

Just wondering. (of course I realize that it will depend on the USCIS person handling each case)

Dave

That is indeed an excelent question! Lets see what the veterans say...

K1 Visa

Adjustment of Status

Lifting Conditions

Green Card Received :               

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Dave

A notarized letter of intent was sent by FAX and used to satisfy an RFE for the missing letter of intent just recently. I believe it was the notarization that helped that letter of intent get accepted for the approval. If it would work all the time, that I do not know.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Do we need to have this letter notarized as well? I know that all copies of birth certificates and divorce decree have to... Is there anything else that has to be notarized? Im putting my package together and I dont want something like this to delate our process.

Thank you!

When I was putting my package together I thought the letter of intent had to be notarized but then i read somewhere in this website that you dont have to. Having a letter notarized does not make the statement of intent more true, its coming from you and a notary cannot confirm it, so i figure it didn't matter if it was notarized so you don't have to. I didn't notarized any of the other forms either.

For the 325A, sign it and dated it; both of you will need to sign it and date it. Try to send as many pictures as you can. I submitted a separated long letter about how my fiance and I met. I submitted my paperwork in October and received no RF, and got my Noa2 within 20 business days and I think it was because everything was organized and detailed. Let me know if you need additional info. Good luck!

When I was putting my package together I thought the letter of intent had to be notarized but then i read somewhere in this website that you dont have to. Having a letter notarized does not make the statement of intent more true, its coming from you and a notary cannot confirm it, so i figure it didn't matter if it was notarized so you don't have to. I didn't notarized any of the other forms either.

For the 325A, sign it and dated it; both of you will need to sign it and date it. Try to send as many pictures as you can. I submitted a separated long letter about how my fiance and I met. I submitted my paperwork in October and received no RF, and got my Noa2 within 20 business days and I think it was because everything was organized and detailed. Let me know if you need additional info. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the info!

K1 Visa

Adjustment of Status

Lifting Conditions

Green Card Received :               

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.