Pinocchio Liberal

Do you ever get sick of?

242 posts in this topic

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't for the life of me understand why people post very personal things in the general OT forum other than to garner sympathy. I can understand PMing someone that your kind of close to, but to just put very personal events out there just does'nt seem quite normal. It's just very annoying to me sometimes and wanted to post on the subject.

I don't understand why some people need to post all the personal stuff they do on here either. But to play devil's advocate, just because you or I don't understand it doesn't make either of us the judge of "normal". Alluding to someone else's differences as unnatural or not normal is pretty certain to get hackles up quick.

I suspect that there's lots of topics you feel are great for a message board that others don't care to read about. I know the phrase is trotted out ad nauseum, but if those kinds of personal or attention-seeking threads are so annoying, just don't read them. That's what I do. (Those and the dang politic ones. :P)

Oh, and before anyone gets the impression I'm making comment on Melo's thread in particular regarding "attention-seeking", I put threads about a family member dying in a completely different category. Having been there myself, attention seeking is sometimes the only link to sanity you can get. And if someone needs that at that time, the more power to 'em.

ceriserose, I just used the word "normal" for the lack of a better word. I think I'm gonna take you up on the "personal or attention-seeking threads are so annoying, just don't read them" advice.

I am not going to make any comments on the unicorn statements, I will just get reamed! :innocent:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I am not going to make any comments on the unicorn statements, I will just get reamed! :innocent:

Pun intended??? :lol:

O....M.............oh yeh I just did that! So I will just utter something I learnt recently....That's funny right there, I don't care who you are....(did I get that right?)

O....M.............oh yeh I just did that! So I will just utter something I learnt recently....That's funny right there, I don't care who you are....(did I get that right?)

yeap..git 'r' done welch cake

yeap..git 'r' done welch cake

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

YEPPER :devil:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I'm kind of out of the loop on this topic but just wanted to say a couple comments.

I've never had a problem with Marc, but I've never been in a debate with him over something. He is more "conservative" or whatever you want to call it, which I am also. So I've never gotten into it with him. A lot of people have not either. But I have learned that sometimes you can get along better with people who share opposite views than you, if you just stop insulting each other for one second and think rationally.

That's something that kind of bothered me about this thread, Marc. You have (or had) bad feelings towards some members because of past arguments/mud slinging with them so you decided to judge everyone who ever says "sorry" on here and accuse them of being fake.

I am not going to ignore this thread just because I don't agree with what you said with calling everyone fake. It obviously had little to do with all of the members on VJ and was only about some. There are people on VJ that I don't care for either. I just avoid interacting with them as much as possible and it becomes a non-issue.

And if you have to debate with someone with different views, learn how to do it without going to insults automatically. I get along well with many members who have very different views than me.

And if someone needs sympathy, and wants to post something on VJ because they know many people have seen them go through the visa process, a very important thing, then what's the issue? And people who claim that no one here matters to them really, I'd like to know why they spend hours upon hours on here then talking to nobodies. :P That's my ramble.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was very very PI$$ED OFF at some of the remarks made in this thread below. I did go over the top and should have showed more restraint. Erekose, I do owe you an apology! You can really ruffle my feathers at times.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...47879&st=30

I think we need to be honest with ourselves and admit that many of us have a difficulty in reading member's responses in some of these political threads (where most of the trouble starts) with a degree of objectivity and not bring our personal biases (against particular people) into play.

Most of the time, if you look at any of these things – it all starts to go downhill when it becomes about people and not the topic under discussion. People end up reading what they want to read rather than what was actually written, or giving anyone the benefit of the doubt to clarify their meaning.

I mean, I still don't understand how you arrived at the "sympathy" comment in that thread. If you think you were upset by some of the comments there – I wasn't best pleased at being accused of something that couldn't (as I see it) even be reasonably inferred from what I wrote. Of course interpretation is subjective - but there comes a point where people are reading into things that were never intended.

Still I apologise for the drunk comments. We are all adults after all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Does'nt it make you feel like ####### to pretend to feel for people you dont even know?

Sometimes. I know several people from Vj personally so of course I feel for them. Other have a online friendship, so I feel for them, but I find it annoying to pretend to care for people I find annoying.

I was very very PI$$ED OFF at some of the remarks made in this thread below. I did go over the top and should have showed more restraint. Erekose, I do owe you an apology! You can really ruffle my feathers at times.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...47879&st=30

I think we need to be honest with ourselves and admit that many of us have a difficulty in reading member's responses in some of these political threads (where most of the trouble starts) with a degree of objectivity and not bring our personal biases (against particular people) into play.

Most of the time, if you look at any of these things – it all starts to go downhill when it becomes about people and not the topic under discussion. People end up reading what they want to read rather than what was actually written, or giving anyone the benefit of the doubt to clarify their meaning.

I mean, I still don't understand how you arrived at the "sympathy" comment in that thread. If you think you were upset by some of the comments there – I wasn't best pleased at being accused of something that couldn't (as I see it) even be reasonably inferred from what I wrote. Of course interpretation is subjective - but there comes a point where people are reading into things that were never intended.

Still I apologise for the drunk comments. We are all adults after all.

Is this sarcasm? I sincerely am trying to make peace. I see a little animosity in your statement! from" MY POINT of VIEW" I will never UNDERSTAND why people come to a forum for sympathy! LIFE can and will be MEAN and CRUEL! My point is to STAND TALL. We live, We LOVE and WE DIE! And that is a fact. My OP was to see if the sympathetic people could also show "HATE" and they did in glorious fashion.

Edited by CarolsMarc

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No, there was no sarcasm intended there. Just the obvious point that there are two sides to everything and that most of the flaming on this forum stems primarily from personal issues arising out of different world views and not about the topic under discussion.

In regards to your other point, perhaps you will like this book. Its a good read.

The Sea-Wolf tells the story of a soft, domesticated creature forced to become tough and self-reliant by exposure to cruelty and brutality. In this case, the creature is human: a literary intellectual named Humphrey van Weyden. Onboard a San Francisco ferry which collides with a ship in the fog and sinks, he is picked up ("rescued" is not the word) by Wolf Larsen. Larsen is the captain of the seal-hunting schooner Ghost, bound for Japan. Brutal and cynical, yet also highly intelligent and intellectual he rules over his ship and terrorizes the crew with the aid of his exceptionally great physical strength. Van Weyden adequately describes him as an individualist, a hedonist, and a materialist. As Larsen does not believe in the immortality of the soul he finds no meaning in his life and has come to despise all human life and deny its value. Being interested in someone capable of intellectual disputes he somewhat takes care of "Hump" while forcing him to become a cabin boy, do menial work, and learn to fight to protect himself from a brutal crew. Later, another castaway is picked up, Maud Brewster, a famous woman poet, with whom Hump soon falls in love. After an attempt to escape from the Ghost Maud and Hump are cast away on a lonely island. In inhospitable conditions they are forced to learn to provide for themselves beyond every human civilization. But then, Larsen - meanwhile deserted by his crew - reaches their island.

Erekose, Instead of quoting from books, let's quote from OUR LIVES! My life started out kinda rough. My mother was divorced, Ironed clothes for a living while RAISING THREE OF US. I remember seeing her little spiral notebook with the charges she made to her customers. After eight hours of ironing I think she made about fifteen bucks. Her LOVE was never ending! And she continued to do this untill we were old enough for her to go to college at night. She IRONED and educated herself , and RAISED ALL THREE OF US.

Perhaps this is where the unsypathetic part of me comes from! This is NOT a story from a book, its my story! So get off your ASSES and make your life COUNT! To hear whining makes me kinda SICK!

― Andrew Wilkow

Oh one more thing, My mom never ever whined about anything! .......................................NOT ONE! The whinin I hear sometimes here, really grates on me! OOooops I'm gonna get it now. :blush:

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

No, not "get it" Marc, but I do wish to say that maybe in some ways you're stronger emotionally in areas that others aren't. I don't see posts as whining, I see them as needing some support, and if they don't feel they can speak to friends or family in RL, then why not here? or any other forum? Granted, it would be nice to talk to RL F&F and many do, me included...but there are some things they just will not understand, about immigration especially, that we have all been through or are going through. Also, maybe people like the relative anonymity of a message board. That's not to say that we couldn't be 'found out' if we put enough info out there (as I myself have in past!) and things like that...but *most* people aren't psychotic enough to care or want to do anything like that....(I do know it happens, yes.) ...just because they read something about your personal life on some board somewhere. Sometimes people just need encouragement and a bit of understanding, and it doesn't really matter *where* it comes from. Why is that so bad? It's great for you if you don't "whine"...yes, that's a good quality...but not everyone is able to just "pull themselves up by the seat of the pants, and get on with it" all the time. Just my thoughts and opinions on it. M.

Proud lollipop member. ;)

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)