mtb324

CFO Nightmare...Please Help

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Notarized? OMG, that's crazy. I don't think she can get this done, she was supposed to go back up in the morning. The agent did not mention that he needed it notarized. Do they often ask for this? Wouldn't he have mentioned it? This is so frustrating, each of these ridiculous requirements take an extra day and we are getting very close to the deadline. Pointless government bureaucracy is the worst

There's nothing pointless with it at all ... it's for the protection of these young girls, many of whom are quite naive.

What's ridiculous is waiting until the last minute to familiarize oneself with the requirements (and best practices, as gleaned from the experience of others) and lacking an effective plan to handle them all in a timely and efficient manner.

It doesn't end here either ... there's filing deadlines and additional documentation and fees to consider as you move to adjust status, apply for work, removal of conditions, etc., etc., etc.

Edited by novedsac

Having (optional) classes for girls going to the US makes a lot of sense to help them and give them information. Asking someone to travel 3 hours and lose two days of their life to get a second ID when they are standing right there with a passport and a packet full of identifying information is ridiculous. Asking for copies of divorce papers, bio sheets and forms that we already provided multiple copies of last year is plain stupid and asking a 21 year old woman to ask for a form from her mother is something out of the 19th century and is illegal in most of modern society.

As for our lack of preparation I tend to agree. We tried to follow everything carefully but the CFO thing we completely missed. Still trying to figure out how that happened...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The forms you provided up to now all went to US officials. These folks are Filipino officials. They do not have access to the US files.

Granted the government web sites on the CFO semniar don't explain it well. But this messaging board explains it very well. And when you don't understand, ask questions.

My fiance has her interview next month, and before I came to this board, I knew ZERO about the CFO. I learned about it here and make it my business to keep reading about it so I can learn more.

That is what she should have done. So she made that mistake, but no need to make it twice. Take a whole bunch of hours and read all the stuff there is to read here. Then go back and do it right.

The guy told her to be there at 9am today so he could meet with her. Then when she got there at 830 and at 9 he said she didn't have an appointment and to come back at 1 he might be free. He said she didn't send him the email (both she and I did) and then said well maybe he didn't check his email yet. Clearly these are little nazis with a bit of power in their hands making the most of it.

Having (optional) classes for girls going to the US makes a lot of sense to help them and give them information. Asking someone to travel 3 hours and lose two days of their life to get a second ID when they are standing right there with a passport and a packet full of identifying information is ridiculous. Asking for copies of divorce papers, bio sheets and forms that we already provided multiple copies of last year is plain stupid and asking a 21 year old woman to ask for a form from her mother is something out of the 19th century and is illegal in most of modern society.

As for our lack of preparation I tend to agree. We tried to follow everything carefully but the CFO thing we completely missed. Still trying to figure out how that happened...

The Philippines isn't the U.S., they have their own customs and culture. 21 is very young in the Philippines, in contrast to the 18 going on 45 year olds we have here in 'Murka, which you would know if you understood the first thing about the place. Having lived there before, and returning there to stay permanently this autumn, I must say I find your attitude more than a little obnoxious - they're out of the 19th century, they're Nazis, etc.

Good luck in your marriage - you're going to need it. :rolleyes:

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Timeline

Hope all is going ok. THe CFO is hassle but worth while. they may be seeing her visa date and knowing she was under 21 at the time of issue or filing so they are asking for parental consent versus parental advice. Sometimes it is best to have one parent attend with your betrothed in order to process any issues right there on the spot. Normally, you take everything you submitted to the Embassy to the CFO. (this at least gives you al lthe paperwork) Take a parent, and be prepated for any "gotchas" along the way. Some go through quick. You "lag" time between the visa issueance and the CFO probably raised questions with them. Jsut be patient.

You visa can be renewed at the US Embassy as long as you are both free to marry. Just callthem to set an appointment and explain why the delay took so long. The US Embassy may or may not charge you a fee for renewing the visa. But you do not have to re-file everything. Just call the US Embassy to renew her visa.

Best of luck, be patient, You are on the last of the hurdles besides POE. My hats off to you and her for being patient for her to finish schooling. She is sure blessed to have you. Just hang in htere.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My fiance obtained a K1 visa and was all set to fly out. We were unaware of the CFO process. My fiance was told she needed a yellow sticker and was held back from flying. She missed the flight entirely. She was then told she didn't have proper ID (even though she had a passport). She had to return home and get a police clearance. She came back the next day and took the seminar. Afterwards, she went through some kind of interview with a Filipino officer (it all sounded quite shady) who started giving her new requirements. Because she is 21 1/2 years old, he asked her for parent consent (is this legal? We were always told her age was old enough she did not need parent consent). They also asked for my divorce papers, which we had already given 6 months before as part of our visa app. So she has had to return home for a second time to get her mother's consent and is headed back to the CFO on Thursday (closed tomorrow). We are terrified that they are going to just keep asking for new requirements. The worst part is that our visa expires in 8 days (she had to finish college).

What is going on here? Is this some sort of scam or is this the normal process? It almost seems like they are looking for a bribe or that this is some kind of third world official scam or something? We are very nervous. Does anyone know what else we should bring or have on hand? Could they be trying to run out the clock to the visa expiration for some reason.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm sorry to hear about this. What they asked from your fiancee though, are all legal and part of the requirements before leaving the country.

The CFO seminar is required by the PH Gov't and this entity requires other documents as well.There's actually a reminder/pamphlet about this requirement when you get your visa packet.

For more info as to what CFO requires, visit http://cfo.gov.ph/

As to the parental consent:

The rule on parental consent is found under Article 14 of the Family Code. It states that in case either or both of the contracting parties are between the ages of 18-21, they shall exhibit , the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned.

There's also the rule on parental advice found under Article 15 of the Family Code. It states that any contracting party between the age of 22 and 25 shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage.

(It actually sounds ridiculous but it's the law :) )

Anyways, hope she'll be able to fly soon. Good luck!

Edited by fromphwithlove

• 1 month later...

I'm Filipina too,but i am not favor in those kinds of requirements like CFO,it will cause a lot of problem when you didn't take it,they say to avoid human trafficking,but for me with or without that CFO human trafficking in my country is still every where,they just create that simply because they don't like their people to have good future in an easy way,they will always creating and finding things for Us to experience hardship..:(

hardrockangel, on 02 Jun 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm Filipina too, but i am not favor in those kinds of requirements like CFO it will cause a lot of problem when you didn't take it, they say to avoid human trafficking, but for me with or without that CFO human trafficking in my country is still every where, they just create that simply because they don't like their people to have good future in an easy way, they will always creating and finding things for Us to experience hardship.. :(

Maybe this will help you understand why there is a CFO seminar for departing females from the Philippines.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/focus/05/16/14/why-filipinas-marrying-foreigners-need-counseling

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Here's the thing about CFO: For most people it is pointelss. It does not tell them anything they don't already know. But most is not good enough because for the few that do lean things, what they learn could be life saving information.

How can the Philippine government distingusih between those who need it and those who don't? They can't. So the best policy is to make everyone go. Those who don'tt need it waste 1/2 day. Big deal! And for those who do need it, well if it saeves one life it is worth it.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm Filipina too,but i am not favor in those kinds of requirements like CFO,it will cause a lot of problem when you didn't take it,they say to avoid human trafficking,but for me with or without that CFO human trafficking in my country is still every where,they just create that simply because they don't like their people to have good future in an easy way,they will always creating and finding things for Us to experience hardship.. :(

Are you flying back to the Phils after you get your visa or flying directly to the states? If you fly back to the Phils you will have to attend to exit.

Depending on the age of your daughter (processing in Manila) she may not be required to attend just be registered and get her sticker.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

She's 18 yrs old hank,so she will just need to register it's ok..I will fly direct to us if god permit..she will follow before the wedding .hopefully everthing will go smoothly. Thank you

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

She's 18 yrs old hank,so she will just need to register it's ok..I will fly direct to us if god permit..she will follow before the wedding .hopefully everthing will go smoothly. Thank you

At 18 she will have to attend. 12 and under register only. There is more info in my link.. follow the flashing arrow.

Plus she has additional requirements

For youth emigrants aged 13 to 19, the following additional documents are also required:

1. Photocopy of parent's passport or valid identification card, if accompanied by parent/s during registration
  2. Letter of authorization from parent/s authorizing the guardian to register the child with CFO on their behalf (if accompanied by guardian during registration)
  3. Original and photocopy of DSWD travel clearance (click here for the new guidelines on issuance of travel clearance)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.