3 posts in this topic

Hey, everybody! Just wanted to drop in and mention this tip. Here's our situation, in case it also applies to you.

My husband (US/Canadian Dual Citizen) has been living in Canada since he came here to go to University in 2005. We met in 2009 and married last year and now we want to move to the US so we've filed for a CR1 Visa (en route to NVC as I type) He's a musician/composer/music teacher and as such is self-employed.

He hadn't filed taxes in either country for a few years (Baaaad boy!) but since (a) You have to file a joint return in Canada and (b) we need to get up-to-date on US taxes to file AOS at NVC, we're catching up on all the taxes.

Soooo, Canadian taxes are sent in, waiting for response from CRA. Using that information, I started looking around for how to get him into compliance with the IRS.

First of all, there's what's called the Streamlined Process for Non-Resident US citizens, which lets him come back into compliance by filing the last 3 years of taxes. If he owes money, he owes it plus interest, but there's no criminal liability. So *whew*! Only need to file 3 years!

But...

Then I started filling in the forms on one of the free tax filing websites. And darn near had a heart attack. Because his income is all from self-employment, the "self-employment tax" came up and said he owed, like, $3000 for last year. I freaked out. There is no way we can afford that. And if he had the same income from a regular employer, he wouldn't owe anything, because of the "foreign income exemption." I knew there must be a way around it, since I know we didn't really make any decent kind of money last year. And besides, he didn't live, work or anything in the US all year (except visit family and take our honeymoon). But professional accountants charge a minimum of $300 per year to prepare cross border taxes.

So I kept looking...

And it turns out that he is indeed exempt from Self-employment tax, because he is covered by the social security programmes in Canada. But we need to provide proof of that. We need to ask the CRA for a Certificate of Coverage under the Canadian-US tax treaty. Here's the link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/cpt56/README.html

It basically says that hubby pays into Canadian "medicare" and the Canada Pension Plan and, as such, should not be double taxed by the US. So once we have that we can send in his US taxes and write in that he is "exempt from self-employment tax, see attached form".

I know it's kind of a specific problem, but it might apply to anyone whose US citizen husband is living with them in a country covered by a US tax treaty. And what a giant relief to find out that we weren't going to owe thousands of dollars in back taxes and penalties!

Hope this is helpful!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is really good information. I just had a very hard time preparing our tax this year because of all the US States involved. Not that any of us live in Canada anymore, this information will definitely help in the future if we ever decide to move there.

Thanks!!!

Timeline

Jun - Job offer in US
Jul - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US - 2 year valid

Aug - Left for Hong Kong for training - re-entered @ JFK and received 2nd TN

Sep - Continued work in U.S. on TN visa - valid till Jul 31, 2014

April - Met husband for the 1st time

May- decided to get married

August - Married in Texas, honeymoon in Hawaii (did not leave U.S.)

October - Quit TN job in U.S and moved to Ohio

Feb 18th (Day 0) - Mailed in my AOS package via UPS Express (I-130 & I-485, I693, I864, I765, I131)

Feb 19th (Day 1) - UPS tracking shows package delivered!!!

Feb 25th (Day 6) - Rcvd text&email NOA1 (I-130 = Initial Review & I-485=Acceptance, I693, I864, I765=Initial Review,I131 = Initial Review )

Feb 27th (Day 8) - Rcvd NOA1 in the mail

March 4th (Day 13) - Received biometrics appt letter in the mail - (appt for March 20 in Indianapolis)

March 20th (Day 30) - Biometrics Completed in Indianapolis

March 24th (Day 34) - waiting..... waiting.... and waiting for my travel authorization .. really wanna go to Canada

March 31st (Day 41) - AOS - Received text and email for change of status to "interview and testing"

April 7th (Day 48) - AOS - Received text and email for NOA mailed with info about "interview and testing". Says Interview scheduled for May 8th!!!!

April 10th (Day 52) - AOS - Received NOA2 in the mail for interview on May 8th at 9:30 in Indianapolis

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.