Dev & Mike

exchange french driving license in Texas

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I moved to Texas on a Fiancé Visa in October 2013.

I finally got my EAD and Travel Document in February 2014.

I would like to go exchange my french driving license but I am wondering whether they will not let me do that because it has been more than 90 days that I arrived in the country and on their website, it says, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/movingtotexas.htm

Driver Licenses

An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

NOTE: The individual must apply in person at any driver license office for a Texas driver license within those 90 days to continue driving legally. An unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province must be surrendered to DPS when applying for a Texas driver license.

Adults (18 and Older)
Individuals who hold a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or from Canada, France, South Korea or Germany (the countries Texas has license reciprocity agreements with), do not have to take the knowledge or driving tests.

At the same time, it does not say that you cannot exchange it after 90 days right? What do you think?

I did not go to do that earlier because I was busy working on my immigration status with getting my EAD, Travel Document, AOS application.

Anybody who has been in the same situation?

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Hello,

I currently live in Texas and my husband is the alien spouse--his situation was similiar as his foreign DL expired before he came.

In Texas, to apply for DL, you have to provide proof of occupancy for the past 30 days (name on rental lease, renters insurance, etc)

Passport, and you HAVE to already have your SSN

You pay the 25 fee--take the written AND drivers exam

He is from Barbados so not sure how it works since you have a French DL

Filed: Timeline

thank you for your answer.

My foreign driving license is not expired, there is actually no expiration date on a french driving license unless you have some medical conditions.

I was just concerned that they say that you must apply in person at any driver license office for a Texas driver license within those 90 days to continue driving legally.

So maybe I am not allowed to drive anymore but I can still exchange my DL without taking the written and drivers exams.

I suggest you just go to the DPS and find out. Make sure you take your green card and passport with you, plus the proof of address that they ask for. I'm on an L-1B, and my wife had to rush home to pick up my passport when I took my test, even though I had my learner permit with me.

Where are you in Texas? If you're in a big city where the lines are long, either see if they have an electronic booking system (Houston implemented this a couple of years ago), or drive out to one of the outlying towns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.