peezey

Issues you may need to discuss with your MENA SO

327 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Oy. Once we start an argument as to who has a stronger claim on suffering we are doomed. It can be nothing but ugly. So, in an attempt to make this something more productive...

Maybe Palestinians, Jordanians and those in the region have personal experience on which to base thier opinions. I disagree ferociously with the interchangable use of Jews and Zionists, but I understand why it may be the case. However, in Algeria you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the younger generations who has met a Jewish person. There is no experience. How then are opinions formed? And, how are they ever challenged?

In the few instances over the course of a year when I could get someone to talk politics with me, they laughed off the Israel issue, claiming Algeria was not the Middle East and didn't care about it. But, what passed as common knowledge was riddled with gross stereotype and fear of "Jews." The Jews were going to come back for their apartments in Algiers. The Jews rule the world. People one does not like are suspected of being closeted Jews, etc. How does one get the idea that, for example, Hilary Clinton is Jewish (this one kind of cracked me up as just being wacky, up but started to annoy me after I heard it once too often)? And, more importantly, how do you encourage real information in the face of loony stereotyping and scapegoating? We know how to start when we talk about a similar problems in the US regarding Muslims. But, I don't understand enough about how information flows and opinions form in Algeria to know there.

That is my objective stance and the questions that come from it. But it matters to me personally as well. My husband and I lived and will soon live again in San Francisco where we rarely have to deal with the Jewish/Muslim issue. If anything we are a bit of a curiosity in a party trick way which is easy enough to brush off or, if the mood is right, explain. So, we can live in our US world quite well. But I do worry that being married to a Jew isolates him in his own culture and only encourages what is already his tendancy--to live in the US and never look back.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Oy. Once we start an argument as to who has a stronger claim on suffering we are doomed. It can be nothing but ugly. So, in an attempt to make this something more productive...

A longer view of history precludes such a claim, and I haven't asserted one. I realize that much was lost for many, and there is no reason for a pissing contest about how "real Palestinians" got to stay and suffer, while others lost everything, were forced to move, and therefore, their heritage is moot. That is simply another form of oppression.

My family has our own long history there, and it is one that has not been forgotten by attainment of American citizenship for some of us. We were pushed away, but never stayed away, and never before made to feel lesser. I have ventured far across the boundaries, and, it's true, in much of the Middle East, Arabs have few if any contacts with Jews. There is an undeniable chasm, and one that helps to exaserbate the misunderstandings. Of course there are Arabs who do not hate Jews, and Jews who do not hate Arabs; that is a given. While we can't quell the conflict in this thread, we can cope with the original genesis of it, and that is, how does it play out in your household? It is a relevant question and an important one.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My husband and I lived and will soon live again in San Francisco where we rarely have to deal with the Jewish/Muslim issue. If anything we are a bit of a curiosity in a party trick way which is easy enough to brush off or, if the mood is right, explain. So, we can live in our US world quite well. But I do worry that being married to a Jew isolates him in his own culture and only encourages what is already his tendancy--to live in the US and never look back.

I meant to comment on this as a Muslim who was once married to a Christian. The isolation can go both ways, you separated from the Jewish community and he separated from the Muslim community. I won't hazard a guess as for whom the isolation will be more life-altering, but it is difficult to equalize or abolish it altogether.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
My husband and I lived and will soon live again in San Francisco where we rarely have to deal with the Jewish/Muslim issue. If anything we are a bit of a curiosity in a party trick way which is easy enough to brush off or, if the mood is right, explain. So, we can live in our US world quite well. But I do worry that being married to a Jew isolates him in his own culture and only encourages what is already his tendancy--to live in the US and never look back.

I meant to comment on this as a Muslim who was once married to a Christian. The isolation can go both ways, you separated from the Jewish community and he separated from the Muslim community. I won't hazard a guess as for whom the isolation will be more life-altering, but it is difficult to equalize or abolish it altogether.

I agree in general, but not in our case. I am not part of a Jewish community, but am of Jewish heritage. It isn't the religious issue that worries me, but the cultural one. We do not feel the pressure of this in the US, but really do when in Algeria.

I also did not mean to imply that you have not been insulted here, only that it derailed what could be a good discussion.

Good to see someone else up at this hour.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'll be up all night. I have a proposal deadline looming. Thanks a lot for your input. Insha'allah, it will look better for all of us in the daylight. No more derailments!

Are there safe places to travel witin each country? i.e. is the fighting limited to the gaza strip I hear about, or is it dangerous to be anywhere within these two countries because of the constant fighting?

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Since when did debate and education become a shouting match? Alot of us arent educated to some of these subjects and are interested to listen and learn give us a break we already know how to fight and put others down, we learned that as children.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Of course there are Arabs who do not hate Jews, and Jews who do not hate Arabs;

And there are Jews who ARE Arab.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The fact is, marrying a Palestinian doesn't make you an expert on Palestinians.

awww ####### there goes my insta-knowledge abou brazil then :(

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
If anyone wants to know what my husband said, he is ready to translate it, but he didn't want to shame you in front of everyone.

how do we really know that was your husband and not you?

I've kept info about myself to a minimum on the boards because I've learned that it does no good to talk about personal stuff in public.

:yes: the piranhas will use it against you.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
If anyone wants to know what my husband said, he is ready to translate it, but he didn't want to shame you in front of everyone.

#######?

Yeah arguing in another language is not right anyway...how can anyone know if the TOS is being violated if the words are made secretive by being typed entirely in a language most people on here cannot read or understand. I have no problem with people writing in their native tongue, but a translation should always follow. And if it is something that "shames" someone, it could be a violation of the TOS.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

#######?

Yeah arguing in another language is not right anyway...how can anyone know if the TOS is being violated if the words are made secretive by being typed entirely in a language most people on here cannot read or understand. I have no problem with people writing in their native tongue, but a translation should always follow. And if it is something that "shames" someone, it could be a violation of the TOS.

:yes: maybe that's why it was in arabic...... :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

mar7aba ..ana mahmoud men falasteen ..awal she ya eli bt7ki 3an 7alek falastenih .. enti ath bati eli enek ma bt3rafi 3an falasteen wla she .thanyan marati bt3ref 3an falasteen akthar menk ..b3deen men treeket 7kyek .. embayen 3leek ma zorti falasteen wla elk ay 7da fi falasteen .. liano law ana kont m7lek .kont tameet 7ali fi jorah wi est7eet eni a7ki 3an 7ali falasteeni.. ba3deen mesh kol alnas wa7ad ...ana ma bkrah alyhood kolhom ..liano fi almlee7 wi al3atel ween ma kona ..fi falasteen wa fi kol al3alam.ba3deen kabel la tektbi ay shi ..e3rafi sho katabti.. mshan t3rafi keef alnas ra7 etjawbek.. lianek bt7ki ma 7keet shi wa enti 7keeti al7aki .eli a3ta lanas eli mwjodeen yjawbook bna2a 3la 7kyek.fi alakher la tekhzeena allah ykhleeki li ana falasteenyeh wa elna alsharaf enkon falasteenyeh... Mahmoud alfalasteeni men jenin

arrrggghhh I hate that my computer will not pick up certain letters and shows them as 7s or 3s ...any solutions? doenloads? settings?

7's are Haa ح and 3's are ayn ع

Edited by Bosco

Filed: Timeline

#######?

I think the Arabic was typed to prove a point as far as 'who's more Palestinian', but that's just my take on it.

I do think WOM's analogy about being French was very relevant. omG, did I just agree with WOM? :o:lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.