misa

USC visiting Canada

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Reverse situation (just trying to cover all our bases), my husband is finally coming here for a visit for the first time (I always go there to visit). I know Canadian POE officers are a lot nicer than the US ones, but has anyone's USC spouse/fiance been denied entry to Canada and for what reasons? He'll be flying in and POE is in Toronto.

I vaguely remember someone here saying that their fiance was hassled by Canadian POE officers.

Should he bring a letter from his employer and proof of ties to the US?

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I visit my husband, both pre-marriage and post, I carried with me proof of my ties to the US. Since filing for the K-3 I brought with me proof of filing although I have yet to show it. Prior to my marriage I have been "pulled in" to secondary in Canada on 4 occasions at the Bluewater bridge POE, 2 of which I was required to show my proof of ties to the US and my intent to return. I think the reason was likely due to the amount of time I said I intended to visit and the fact I was not employed and had my children with me. At the time we were homeschooling and I intended to stay for weeks at a time. One time when asked when I planned to move to Canada, I laughed and said " oh that's not gonna happen". I think I was bit in smug in my response as the officer was a bit taken aback, but they haven't asked me since ( maybe he made a note lol ).

If it makes you feel more at ease, I guess a bit of proof can't hurt.

Good Luck!!!

google.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I used to work as assistant to an MP I had a number of occasions to hear about partners refused entry at the border. Overwhelmingly, the biggest single reason was for lack of proper identification. A lot of Americans just showed up with their driver's license expecting that would prove their nationality and be allowed in the country. Unfortunately, they would be turned back. The second biggest reason was someone presenting themselves at the border with a pick up truck or a trailer loaded up with their belongings. They were planning to move in with their girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse but hadn't done any paperwork - didn't think that was necessary because "after all it is Canada - it is not like it's a foreign country, right?"

Canadian authorities are interested in the same things US authorities are - someone who gives indication that they don't intend to follow immigration regulations or are a risk to violate general Canadian laws. Since he is flying in he will require his American passport to enter the plane plus to return to the US so he will have his proof of citizenship; he needs a valid reason for entering the country - visiting you is valid (VBG), and he needs to show he does not intend to stay in the country permanently. Having a return air ticket is good and it wouldn't hurt if he brought along proof of financial ties to the US - a job (immigration will probably ask him what he does and where he works), proof of a lease or mortgage, things like that. Make sure what he packs is reasonable for the length of time and the weather during which he is visiting, and he shouldn't have any difficulties.

Enjoy the visit.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

definitely bring proof of ties! paystubs, lease, utility bills etc. Since at the time I lived not too far from the CDN border and used to visit my inlaws and DH quite a bit, they LOVED to sweat me at the border. There were times I was treated horribly. I even got turned back once and got my NEXUS card pulled by them. Needless to say, they had my azz flagged. I wasn't taking anyones job or going on welfare up there for G-d sake! :ranting:

I prayed for DH to get a job in the US (be transferred). I was so happy when he was and the last time I entered (he was already in California and I was heading up there to pack up his stuff for the movers), I got sweated. Pretty much treated like a common criminal. :ranting:

SOMEONE needed to sign off on the movers and clean his place. It was an afterthought that saved me. I drove to Cali with him and we signed the lease the night before I was to fly up to Vancouver to pack up his stuff. I tossed the newly signed copy of the lease into my purse and my camera with pix of the new house. I had DH's offer letter. I got pulled at Vancouver airport. Thank G-d I had the lease and the house photos and the return airline ticket and the agent was cool. She even complimented the house we got. I flew out of there on 8/22 and so wanted to get a chance to tell some of them to F themselves! :P

So yeah make sure you have major evidence of ties

Proud AF Alumna

US Chick married to a CDN Dude!

Got married in Las Vegas 12/11/01

Filled out I-130 2/15/02

Filled out I-129F 2/22/02

I-130 was approved 10/22/02

Was out of work for 6 months :( Immigration process was at a stand still thanks to this

Got his EAD and SSN in February 2003

Job market sucked, he couldn't get a job in the US so no AOS

9/8/04 :( DH moved back to Canada K-3 expired

End of 2004, now have job and salary to satisfy affadavit of support (YAY!)

in the wee hours of 6/1 Fire was lit under our butts! (Don't ask!) :(

Visa bill mailed on 6/3

Visa bill received on 6/7

I-864 stuff was sent via overnight mail on 6/14!

Information packet and docs generated 6/20/05

I rec'd the DS-230 packet on 7/26

Sent ds-230 via express mail 8/13

9/15/05 CASE COMPLETED!!!!!!!

10/6/05 Case sent to consulate

10/27/05 Medical Exam ...was marked incomplete

11/10/05 New Medical Exam letter issued! YAY!

11/15/05 Interview--APPROVED BABY!

4/30/06 Activated IR-1 Visa at the Pacific Hwy Crossing in Blaine, WA

5/12/06 Dave Received the Welcome to the US letter...

5/31 Green Card arrived in the mail! Also got 2 more welcome letters!

Dave's company has transferred him 7/6!

Started his position in Bay Area, CA on 8/14!

mcsurvivor.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My US citizen husband (fiance at the time) visited me in Canada almost every weekend until I moved to the U.S. and he got hassled continuously, but that was because he lied one of the first times he crossed, about a charge he had almost 30 years prior.

They just hauled him inside (he drove across the border) and did a random check through the computer on him, and discovered the charge and wouldn't allow him to enter. I drove down to the border to see if there was anything I could do to get him across, but they said no there was nothing I could do, but if he had just not lied about the charge when asked, there wouldn't have been a problem (because it was almost 30 years prior), but the fact that he lied caused them to be suspicious about him in other ways.

He had to obtain all kinds of court documents, etc. to prove he had been "rehabilitated" and then he was allowed into Canada again, but not without being hauled into Immigration and questioned over and over and over again about the same issue, and him giving the same answers over and over and over again. Finally, they stopped hassling him about that issue. Then, because he came across the border every weekend, they got suspicious about whether he was conducting some kind of illegal business in Canada, and started asking him questions about where he was employed in the U.S.

So, proof of a job (with pay stubs, etc.) is a good idea for anyone entering Canada frequently.... and don't lie to the officers.... the consequences can be worse than just telling the truth.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

Thanks for the responses! He packs very lightly and is only here for 5 days. He's got a passport and I'll get him to bring pay stubs, letter from employer, utility bills and his car info back in Virginia (he just bought a new car).

Do you think he should bring copies of the NOAs for the I-130 & I-129F showing that it's not him that's intending on moving to Canada?

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline

It wouldn't hurt, but what he has should be fine:-). Canadian border authorities tend to be more reasonable than the US ones.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks again for all the tips. I'll make sure he brings everything he needs to.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know I'm late entering into this thread, but I just felt I had to add my two cents in.

Misa, it really depends on the border officer and not a whole lot else. Hopefully, when you cross, he or she has been having a good day and their life (professionally and personally) is doing well too. If it's not, that could reflect on your chances in getting into Canada, the United States, or whatever country you wish to visit.

The first time I visited my Canadian fiancee, I practically walked right through Canadian Customs & Immigration. They asked me a couple of questions and that, as they say, was that. The second time through (which happened just recently around Christmas time) was a lot different. I told the truth and the border officer looked at me like I was some sort of criminal, hauling drugs and armed with an AK-47. I was sent to Secondary, and there they told me (rather rudely, I might add) it was "up to them whether or not I enter Canada." Fortunately, I was let in -- but I had to relate every detail of my trip, my finances, my relationship, etc., before they'd give me the "green light." I also had to provide written documentation that I'd leave Canada when I said I would, and show some ties to the United States as well.

Now, it could be that the border officers were in a bad mood because I entered into the airport on a flight at (or around) midnight, and they were probably tired of seeing people. That, and my plane was the only one coming in, so they had time to stop and grill me, whereas if it was busier, they may not have had the time to concentrate on me. Regardless, that's what happened to me. I did get in, but it was a huge hassle.

I told my fiancee about it after being let in, and she was rather worried about crossing U.S. Customs & Immigration since the stories are always that Canada is more easy going than the United States. As it turned out (thankfully), my fiancee had a pretty easy time getting through. She told the truth and was passed along. My border officer was in a really good mood too -- he called me a "hounddog" and gave me a high-five for having a girl in Canada.

Anyway, the point of this post is to show that everyone's experience is different, and the experience you have heavily depends on the officer you get and that officer's mood and psychological state at the time. :dance:

Timeline

Thanks for your experience. He'll be flying in and his POE will be here in Toronto. He'll be bringing proof of ties to the U.S. including letter from employer, his car papers/payments (he bought a new car recently), copies of our K3 petition and approvals (showing that I'm the one immigrating, not him) and anything else we can think of. Only a few more days and he'll be here. Only for 5 days but we take short visits over nothing. :)

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline

He got here this morning (yay!). Here was the entire conversation at the Canadian POE at Toronto Pearson:

Officer: Where are you coming from? (scans his U.S.passport)

Him: U.S.

Officer: Purpose of trip?

Him: Visiting my wife. (he has all our paperwork with him including original approvals and letter from employer)

Officer: Why is she here? (something to that effect)

Him: Because she's a Canadian citizen and lives in Toronto.

And then he was waved through. :)

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

my now husband was hassled once upon entry to Canada because of a juvenile car theft charge, but they guy ended up letting him through.

A couple years later, same border crossing, different border guard, saw the charge when she scanned his passport, saw his truck full of stuff (we'd been told by several Canadian immigration officials that if he wanted to start the immigrationprocess from within Canada, that was perfectly legal) and she banned him from entry on grounds that he'd be a menace to society.

He hasn't stepped foot in Canada since 2001.

Anyone with a criminal record, juvenile or adult, could be deemed inadmissable and will be turned around at the border. The paperwork to overcome this is an incredible pain in the ####### and can take several years. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Ugh, that's horrible Reba!

Anyone with a criminal record, juvenile or adult, could be deemed inadmissable and will be turned around at the border. The paperwork to overcome this is an incredible pain in the ####### and can take several years. :P

Especially if the charges are DUI (which I am not implying your husband has). I only know about the DUI because we were researching if/when we do the reverse situation and move back up here. Apparently DUIs deem people inadmissible (he doesn't have one).

AOS & EAD Timeline

He got here this morning (yay!). Here was the entire conversation at the Canadian POE at Toronto Pearson:

Officer: Where are you coming from? (scans his U.S.passport)

Him: U.S.

Officer: Purpose of trip?

Him: Visiting my wife. (he has all our paperwork with him including original approvals and letter from employer)

Officer: Why is she here? (something to that effect)

Him: Because she's a Canadian citizen and lives in Toronto.

And then he was waved through. :)

That's very nearly my experience at Toronto. I fly in, with all my info, hand them my passport, they ask where I'm headed, I answer, and then they asked me all about C. What does he do? Why is he there?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.