vanee

Culture shock for Canadians in the US

184 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found a problem with asking someone where the washroom was.

We were on a bike trip and I just HAD to go, we ran into a Hotel and I asked for the washroom, the girl just looked at me and told me the dryer was broken. While I stood there in disbelief wondering what the hell the dryer had to do with it :wacko: , my SO spoke up and asked where the restroom was :blink:

I had to laugh at the touqe and tobaggon post, my SO has a tobaggon he just loves!!!!!Wearing on his head!!!!!! I really do worry about him.

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

lol, that stil lhappens to me!! i ask for the washroom and they have no clue what I'm asking for!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, me too (VBG)!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was watching a documentary on Elvis the other day ( I have no idea why, I don't even like him) , anyway, the guy was talking about Elvis when he was in the Army and that he had to go to Germany. How Germany was so hard for him because he had never been to another foreign country before, except Canada but thats not a foreign country! What!!!!? Canada isn't a foreign country??? :unsure:

I couldn't believe that!

I've been here almost 2 yrs in June and I am still trying to adjust to this place. It is so unfriendly. I haven't made a single friend here. I live in a prodominetly Mormon town much smaller then what I'm used to. ( grew up in Vancouver, BC) Unless you're Mormon, people won't give you the time of day.

I get teased constantly at work. Always with the Canada "EH" #######. So much so, that I'm almost ready to quit my job and go home. I am not liking this place at all. :cry:

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that too. :(

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Timeline

in the US, the washroom is where the laundry machines are. I figured that out when we went house shopping one time. It was funny. :lol:

I totally understand raphael, I felt the same way for the longest time here. Do a Yahoo search for groups in your area who are not Mormon. There's gotta be someone! Even if you have to go for a bit of a drive.

Or move. We still want to, or at least I do. I'd like to be a lot closer to the border and my family. We have no family here other than James' brother, and even though he lives across the street, we never see him. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wanted to say that Im sorry to hear that youre having a hard time, I went through the same thing only in reverse when I moved to Canada from Las Vegas 5 years ago.. even at work, they would tease me all the time about my "huhs and uh huhs"...LOL...now its just a joke with all of us because everytime I say Huh and they point it out, I point out everytime someone says "EH" or "You's".and we all laugh about it..LOL..I love my coworkers now and they have all been so supportive of this new journey that we are on to get my husband to the US... and I will miss them so much

I still get incredibly homesick all the time... when I first moved here and was having such a tough time, I asked my family and friends to "mail" me pics, or write me a letter every once in awhile, send me the local paper, not just emails...and that helped alot..its so nice to have real mail, other than bills, in the mailbox!

I agree about the Yahoo groups....theres so many of them...

If you scrapbook I can suggest scrapbook.com...its a very friendly place and you may meet other scrappers there in your area...if you do go there you will have to look me up!

another great place to meet others is if you do any volunteering... when your helping others or even animals people wont care what religion you are...or maybe I should say they shouldnt care..

It took me awhile to make friends too, it was just me and my husband for the first year and a half.. we started doing date nights together...usually dinner and a movie..but to make them interesting we would take a bag and put names of restraunts around town that we had never been to, in it...and would pick one.. did the same with movies we wanted to see...might seem a bit childish but we really had fun doing it and found a couple really great places to eat that we still go to..

again sorry to hear that youre so unhappy....and I hope it gets better for you..

Edited by kimmbo

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

I'm worried that I'm not going to adapt once I move to PA, too. I felt like such a foreigner when I asked a waiter at a restaurant where the washroom was and he said condescendingly, "You mean the bathroom, right?"

I mean, there's a lot of other stuff too, like the recycling around here (non-existent) and the high fructose corn syrup. I read labels to see whether HFCS is in it and it's become a joke around my friends and family. And I can't get used to not seeing the French labels either. :(

I guess it's just worry about finding a job too, since I only have an associate's degree. I worry that I'm just not going to adjust, but I'm trying to find the good side in everything. (And I really do like the fact that PA sales tax is half as much as BC sales tax, and that things seem to be slightly cheaper over here.)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

I had a funny moment here in Canada a few weeks ago. I am working in a Flower Shop right now and had to phone in a Wire Transfer to a Floral shop in Washington. I was spelling out the name of the person the flowers were going to- Suzi. I said" S-U-Z-I", the woman on the phone goes "S-U-S-I-E"? I said no," S-U-Z-I". Then she pauses and asks "What is zed-I?" I realized she knew zee, not zed. :)

Nini & Bee, what part of PA are you moving to? We're in the Philadelphia area.

My wife was dealing with a bit of home-sickness last week. She knew people from my church before we were married, but she feels she only knows those people on a surface level. As she's gotten to know them more, I think things are getting better. She feels she'll never know anyone like she did in Canada, but she's only been two months.

On a lighter note, my wife went to mail something today and couldn't figure out the mail box. She eventually did. I guess they're different than Canada Post boxes. Someone asked her to babysit in case of jury duty and she never heard of that. I guess you all don't have that north of the border.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

(And I really do like the fact that PA sales tax is half as much as BC sales tax, and that things seem to be slightly cheaper over here.)

Don't forget NO sales tax on clothing in PA! :thumbs:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline
Nini & Bee, what part of PA are you moving to? We're in the Philadelphia area.

My wife was dealing with a bit of home-sickness last week. She knew people from my church before we were married, but she feels she only knows those people on a surface level. As she's gotten to know them more, I think things are getting better. She feels she'll never know anyone like she did in Canada, but she's only been two months.

On a lighter note, my wife went to mail something today and couldn't figure out the mail box. She eventually did. I guess they're different than Canada Post boxes. Someone asked her to babysit in case of jury duty and she never heard of that. I guess you all don't have that north of the border.

Yep.. I'm hearing your wife for sure.. It is difficult going from having people who really KNOW you around.. to nothing, you are just "the newbie" or "the Canadian"..

We were walking through the mall the other day and I remarked to my hubby on how i don't even look for people that I know anymore. I wouldn't expect to see anyone that I know or run into anyone cause i know NO one here.. So.. yeah.. that made me a bit sad.. just thinking of how many people I knew back home, how many times I'd run into people on the side of the street etc. It's an adjustment for sure.. You are right.. its' only been 2 2 1/2 months for me as well.. time will help all this I am hoping.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I mean, there's a lot of other stuff too, like the recycling around here (non-existent) and the high fructose corn syrup. I read labels to see whether HFCS is in it and it's become a joke around my friends and family. And I can't get used to not seeing the French labels either. :(

I'm not in the US permanently yet, but I'm on my second 2-month stay, so I'm getting used to it, and I'm gradually finding things I like.

The health food store has a lot of products I like, but it's too far to go to as often as I'd like to. And even it has a poor selection of produce compared to what I'm used to. But you may want to look for health food stores in your area.

I love the prices at the local grocery store. :) But one time I looked at the ingredients of every type of bread they had, and every one of them had HFCS in it. :( Fortunately, I've found a bakery nearby that makes delicious bread with only healthy ingredients.

The yogurt in the regular stores doesn't taste like the yogurt I'm used to, but again, I found healthy yogurt in another store -- this time a co-op.

I hope you'll be able to find products you like too. :star:

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been here almost 2 yrs in June and I am still trying to adjust to this place. It is so unfriendly.

I just mentioned to my hubby a few days ago how unfriendly I find the people here. The only person that I could get any kind of conversation out of was the nail tech that did my nails last week...... and I think he could relate as he was an immigrant from Vietnam. He asked my why I would ever leave Canada to move to the US........ said he heard it was a better place to live........ :thumbs:

Hope things get better for you soon...... it's really hard when you never feel like you're at home.

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.