Culture shock for Canadians in the US

184 posts in this topic

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup, subract 30 and divide the remainder by two. You'll be correct within a couple of degrees. Maybe changing over to Fahrenheit is easier for those of us who are a little (ahem) more mature. I grew up with F. When I bought my first car, I filled it with gallons of gas. Celsius never felt natural to me and I don't mind changing back a bit!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I still use celsius and write "cheque" Of course when writing papers for school, I have to bow down to the authority! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone!

Oh, another two items I forgot to add to the list:

a) The spelling of a bank check is "cheque", not "check"

B) The date is written 31/01/07 (day, month year), not 01/31/07 (month, day, year)

c) Thanksgiving is both in October and November (Yippee, two thanksgivings! Though I only get to celebrate one here in the USA :(). And yes, there are a lot more other holidays here in the USA than in Canada!

As for the temperature conversion thing, here is my simple solution:

-Stick my head, arms, and feet, out the door/window and figure out if it is:

a) Really Cold (Winter, big winter coat)

B) Cold (Winter/Fall, small winter coat)

c) Warm (Fall/Spring, light jacket)

d) Hot (Spring/Summer, no coat or jackets)

e) Really Hot (Summer, short sleeved clothing)

-Lol...it worked in the old days before they started recording temperatures, so it should work now. Besides, I still can't figure out the conversions, as I am mathematically-challenged. Then again, I could just be lazy and ask my husband (the math whiz in the family) what the temperature is. Still, I prefer the simple solution way...

The temperature today where I am: Really Cold (and yes, I still have a foot (how many metres is that?)) of snow to shovel)....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Job application forms in the U.S. ... do they actually have checkboxes for race?

I've *never* seen that here in Canada, though it's been awhile since I filled out a job application.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Yes, they really do have a box to check for your race on pretty much everything down here. In Canada it is illegal to ask that question.

The first thing I noticed it on was the form for our marriage license. I was sitting there filling it out and looked at James flabbergasted, he said "just fill in the damn form!" then the lady asked me to put my hand on the bible and he jabbed me in the ribs to say "just do it already!"

And btw, according to the Caldwell County registrar's office, being Canadian makes me a different "race" than my husband. I tried to explain the difference between nationality and race to the woman, and she would have nothing of it. eejit :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is kind of scary that they'd ask for race on like everything! I figured it was probably illegal here (same with requiring an SSN on a job application or requiring your marital status).

On my marriage license there was something for race too, which I filled out, I just found it ODD... I didn't have to swear on a bible but I did have to take that oath swearing that we weren't incompetent or related to each other -- at which point I laughed since we are of different ethnic backgrounds.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ha HA!! I was thinking I musta been crazy when I read the Race Block on the Marraige license!!! I had to call my fiance at work and ask him what the HECK I had to put there. Funny the difference between the two Countries. I guess that's the difference the Charter of Rights makes!! :) Wacky!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah my dad sent me a money order and put on it Cheque and I was like what is that ha ha. It was a money order or check, just never seen it written that way.

Also had to look on the postage date, and it is done differently rather then the usual month/day/year, they have it in a different order so it's confusing for me understanding Canadian. Of course for those comming here to the US now, it'll be a bit confusing for them too writting down things.

Another thing is when at a restraunt, my dad always asks for "the bill" rather then "the check". Don't know if this is a local thing or not, but not sure if it would make any differnce, I'm sure they can figure out what's what.

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When my husband and I went to get our license, they filled in the info for us... well when we we're going to sign it, I noticed that the woman had checked "Hispanic" for my husband. He's Portuguese and Brazilian... I really don't get those race boxes, especially when they have like 3 boxes.

She apologized and said she had made a mistake- but then she just looked at him and asked, "So, what are you then?" Why do they even care?

Ha HA!! I was thinking I musta been crazy when I read the Race Block on the Marraige license!!! I had to call my fiance at work and ask him what the HECK I had to put there. Funny the difference between the two Countries. I guess that's the difference the Charter of Rights makes!! :) Wacky!

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Timeline
Yeah my dad sent me a money order and put on it Cheque and I was like what is that ha ha. It was a money order or check, just never seen it written that way.

Also had to look on the postage date, and it is done differently rather then the usual month/day/year, they have it in a different order so it's confusing for me understanding Canadian. Of course for those comming here to the US now, it'll be a bit confusing for them too writting down things.

Another thing is when at a restraunt, my dad always asks for "the bill" rather then "the check". Don't know if this is a local thing or not, but not sure if it would make any differnce, I'm sure they can figure out what's what.

The whole month/day/year vs. day/month/year things is a bit of a pain. When I went to have my Ontario DL switched over to a Texas one years ago they just copied the info from the card rather than having me fill out anything. And, of course, they issued my Texas DL with a birthdate of August 11th when in reality I was born on November 8th.

I used to always tease my American friends/family about asking for the "check" at restaurants. It just didn't make any logical sense... a cheque is something you use to pay OUT money so if you owe the restaurant, why would THEY be giving the money to YOU? :D

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

I just got an email from a Canadian friend and it made me think about this linguistic difference between Canada and US: She mentioned she went out to eat EAST Indian food. My fiance says that too ... EAST Indian. Here in the US, I have only heard : Indian food (not specifying the EAST).

BTW, I vary between saying "bill" and "check" in restaurants, just depends what comes out of my mouth in that moment.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
The whole month/day/year vs. day/month/year things is a bit of a pain. When I went to have my Ontario DL switched over to a Texas one years ago they just copied the info from the card rather than having me fill out anything. And, of course, they issued my Texas DL with a birthdate of August 11th when in reality I was born on November 8th.

I used to always tease my American friends/family about asking for the "check" at restaurants. It just didn't make any logical sense... a cheque is something you use to pay OUT money so if you owe the restaurant, why would THEY be giving the money to YOU? :D

I had to go to a clinic during my first visit in Canada to see my fiancee (at the time, she was my girlfriend) and when they read my Texas DL, they completely got my birthdate wrong. I had to correct them. I found it somewhat amusing.

As far as asking for "the check" or "the bill" in restaurants, it depends on where I am at the moment. If I'm in the U.S., I'll ask for "the check," since that's what is expected; likewise, if I'm in Canada, I'll ask for "the bill," since that's what is expected. Although my fiancee had to inform of the difference the first time I was there, since when we went out to a restaurant and I asked for "the check," she politely told me that in Canada, it's customary to ask for "the bill." It didn't really matter though -- obviously that restaurant had served enough American to understand what I meant. ;)

I've noticed lately that I've been thinking and saying "zee" more easily that when I first got here. I'm not quite sure I like that :P

There's another Canadian guy at my work, he's been down here a lot longer than I have, but has somehow managed to keep his accent mostly. I on the other hand, picked up the local accent not long after arriving. And he is a few years older than I am, and from a different part of Ontario, so he says a few things differently. Like "warsh". He said that one day and I almost said to him "your Orillia is showing" ;)

He also says "shedule" rather than "skedule". Which is I believe, an age thing. I remember my parents and grandparents and such saying "shedule" but most people my age or younger are enough Americanised to say "skedule".

Its little things.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

I didn't really realize that I "sounded Canadian" until a bunch of people I called during my brief stint as a credit card collections agent asked me what part of Canada I was from. Freaked me out, actually!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.