vanee

Culture shock for Canadians in the US

184 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm still getting used to the whole "check card" thing... like how it's not really like a debit card (but it is) and not really like a credit card... and getting asked if I want cash back each time.

I STILL don't understand this. What the heck IS this card? Is it a debit card or is it a credit card? Is there some sort of writeup about it online so I can figure out what it is? I just don't get it. Please help. LOL

:) Here's Navy Federal's explaination of it.. I have both a DEBIT card (like we have in Canada) AND a Check Card (used liked visa but linked to my Checking Account). As far as I can tell it's the banks answer to stores refusing to accept personal checks.. I dunno..

http://www.navyfcu.org/credit_cards/debit.html?p=c3&n=c2

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm still getting used to the whole "check card" thing... like how it's not really like a debit card (but it is) and not really like a credit card... and getting asked if I want cash back each time.

I STILL don't understand this. What the heck IS this card? Is it a debit card or is it a credit card? Is there some sort of writeup about it online so I can figure out what it is? I just don't get it. Please help. LOL

:) Here's Navy Federal's explaination of it.. I have both a DEBIT card (like we have in Canada) AND a Check Card (used liked visa but linked to my Checking Account). As far as I can tell it's the banks answer to stores refusing to accept personal checks.. I dunno..

I still don't get it. How can it be a credit card if the purchase amount is automatically debited from your chequing account? Doesn't that make it a debit card? Am I some sort of moron? (Don't answer that. LOL)

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I still don't get it. How can it be a credit card if the purchase amount is automatically debited from your chequing account? Doesn't that make it a debit card? Am I some sort of moron? (Don't answer that. LOL)

No...you're not a moron. :) Some places here in the States run a debit card as if it's a credit card. :blink: Yeah, weird I know but that's what they do...I've had it happen to me countless times. Yet...the money is automatically taken from your checking account. I don't get it...never have...I have learned not to question it. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wachovia "debit" card is a debit card and a Credit card. One has the option to go both ways, guess the card is "bi" lol I never use it as a credit card, dont get enough points from it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A check card is like a credit card, except that it's a type of "debit" card that looks similar to a credit card but acts like a check because the purchase amount is deducted from the cardholder's checking account. :)

And yes, many places take debit cards but use them as credit cards in a way (i.e. no need to enter a PIN) and in fact, some card issuers inform the cardholder to choose "credit card" instead of "debit card" on the electronic pay devices. The money is still deducted from your account like a debit card, however.

One thing that I should note that, at least in my experience, many more places here in the U.S. accept credit cards versus debit or check cards. Using a debit or check card is less common here, than say... in Canada. Most people use credit cards. This throws my fiancee for a loop -- she says you can pay for practically anything in Canada with debit and she hardly ever uses her credit card. I'm the opposite. I have a debit card, but I rarely use it (only for taking money out of ATMs, really) and rely on my credit cards.

Filed: Other Timeline

When James and I were first dating, there was hardly anywhere in the US to use a debit card. It was either cash, credit card or cheque. Its becoming more common to be able to use your debit card in US stores however, but I think they're just a little slower in their acceptance of terminology is all. I hate carrying cash.

It still boggles me that people even bother writing checks/cheques here! Just swipe your dang card already! sheesh! Banking is so far behind the times down here. :P

As for recycling, it drives me absolutely freakin' batty that not more cities here in the US have curb side pick-up, and offices don't recycle. Here in Morganton the city says it would cost them too much money to have curb-side pick up, and they've just got rid of one of the recycling drop-off depots in town as well. :angry: Every time I go to drop off my recycling the bins are full, (even when there were 2 depots) and yet they claim not enough people want to recycle. ugh...eejits...and yet smaller towns on either side of us have managed to offer curbside pick-up and not had to raise property taxes. :P

The only thing that gets recycled in our office where I work is aluminum pop/soda cans. But I just can't bear to just throw away the reams of paper that get wasted every day, so I bring it home with me and take it to the depot myself. I'm going there anyway right? I can't tell you how long it took to train my husband to recycle, but he's getting the hang of it. I just wish he'd take it there sometime himself. He's just sitting around doing nothing these days anyway! Now...if I could just convince him to set up a compost in the garden, and turn off lights and the TV when he's not actually using them :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We use our credit cards for everything. Flying home to Saskatoon for free because of the points!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
It still boggles me that people even bother writing checks/cheques here! Just swipe your dang card already! sheesh! Banking is so far behind the times down here. :P

Seriously! It's unheard of to write a cheque in a Canadian retail store and has been for a long time. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seriously! It's unheard of to write a cheque in a Canadian retail store and has been for a long time. :)

...its so funny for me to hear all of this...LOL..when I moved to Canada I couldnt believe no one would accept checks, and a group I was in of other American women that had moved to Canada the subject came up alot...we were so sad that we could no longer use our designer checks in any store (mine had the cast of Happy Days on them)..LOL..my husband would say "thats why we have debit cards"...I told my mom and sister just last week that it will be nice to be home again so I can order a pretty box of checks and starting writing them again in stores....my husband says he will continue to use a debit card..LOL

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline

Ditto here with the check debit card - I was confused about why they were running it as a credit card rather than the debit card until one of the cashiers explained that their system was only set up to accept credit. So, ok - it comes directly out of the account either way - one way I type in my PIN and the other way requires my signature. I do appreciate it though when stores ask to see some proof of identification when I use the card - it may be a nuisance, but a reassuring one.

I hear you about the recycling. When I arrived nearly 3 years ago I picked up a small plastic bucket with a lid from Lowes to use for food waste (keep it on the counter) and then we made our own composter out of chicken wire. Well, we have filled 2 chicken wire bins - and emptied out the compost - and last year finally found a large compost bin at CostCo of all places! So, now we are waiting to take our first compost from that. When we asked about composters at Lowes we just got blank looks.

Not having any paper recycling has bothered me for a while as well, although there is a depot at a local fire hall about 5 miles away that does take magazines! What we have done is purchased a cross cut shredder and weshred just about every thing now - and then wet it down and use it as mulch on the gardens. I sure hope it starts to degrade faster than it is - we may have to mix it in with other commercial mulch - because we will soon have more paper shredded than we have garden:-).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hubby's weighing in here, and he says it's simply that the VISA symbol opens up your Debit card to the VISA network....

(similar to Interac and Plus symbols in Canada). Visa has opened it's network up to the banks for the purpose of the check card and it's just a very common and accepted network and that's why they issue them that way. Does that help the discussion any?? :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said, but basically if you have a check card with a VISA or Mastercard logo, but it's tied to your bank account, you have the option to run it as credit. The reason you do this is because a lot of cards that are run as debit charge you a fee. If you run it as a credit card, the store pays the "transaction fee". There really is no difference, its just better for you to always run it as a credit. It will still take it out of your account. Another plus of having a check card thats supported by VISA or Mastercard is that your debit card will now be accepted anywhere those cards are accepted. I don't really understand why some people have debit/check cards that are not tied with those logos, unless you are getting amazing rewards.

If you go to a store and they say they don't take debit cards, but you give them your debit card with a VISA logo, they will have to accept it (provided they accept visa credit cards). They do this for convenience purposes and you prob can use that sponsored debit card anywhere in the world that accepts visa or mastercard.

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Right now, all of our bills are paid online and I don't write checks anymore it seems...well, I take that back. I have to write a check for our daughter's lunch at school. I could send cash but we seldom have cash anymore. Other than that, no check writing here. I have run into some doctor's offices that will not take a debit card. They require cash or check. That's when I take cash with me.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the only things I pay by check or rent and car insurance....

I could phone in the payment for the car insurance but they charge an extra 5 bucks if you do that :P and there is no option to pay it online....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.