vanee

Culture shock for Canadians in the US

184 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't moved to the US yet. We are thinking on July but i have visited 4 times and spend 4 weeks in July. In Houston i had a hard time with the whole recycling thing. In Canada its really easy but where Ramos is they don't do it. I did find aschool near by to take newspapers and cardboard but i always feel so bad about throwing things away. That was a major things for me. But yes the paying with credit card thing did take a bit of time to get used to paying and making sure i was giving the right note or bill took adjustment too. But everyone was so nice i only had a few people who were a bit rude. I know it says hk but i am currently working here.

Edited by Nancy and Ramos

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still getting used to the whole "check card" thing... like how it's not really like a debit card (but it is) and not really like a credit card... and getting asked if I want cash back each time.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Been super mild here in DC. Meg keeps hoping for a Snow day!! Nothign here has really shocked me, except for no Tim Hortons and knew that prior,lol Drivers are idiots in every country, just more so here ,lol For the most part people have been ok,haven't had too many problems. Did I mention no tim hortons? lol

I know what you mean with the No Tims!! It also took me a bit of time to get use to driving in miles rather than km, and the food sizes are huge!!! We share meals when we go out to eat.

Edited by Nancy and Ramos

Timeline
american cheese sucks :)

:yes:

I totally agree with you......You have said what i think. I know it says that i am in hk but i am a Canadian working here. Ramos is in Houston and listening to the talk raido shows, and they make me laugh sometimes at what people choose to share about their lack of knowledge.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
american cheese sucks :)

:yes:

I totally agree with you......You have said what i think. I know it says that i am in hk but i am a Canadian working here. Ramos is in Houston and listening to the talk raido shows, and they make me laugh sometimes at what people choose to share about their lack of knowledge.

Never take Talk Radio at face value. The hosts (in general) are there just to incite strong feelings and get people to call in, thus making the show more entertaining for the listening audience. This isn't to say all Talk Radio is bad; it's not. But most of it is inflammatory and just plain rude.

Fortunately for us all, Talk Radio does not represent the city, state or country. It just shows what a relative few people think.

As for American Cheese... I'm the USC in the relationship, and I used to like it when I was a little kid. Little kids have no taste, so American Cheese was as good as anything else. Now that I'm much older and have experienced other cheeses, I can't say that American Cheese is really appetizing. Although it's still much better than spray cheese. I never understood the attraction to that.

Timeline
I haven't moved to the US yet. We are thinking on July but i have visited 4 times and spend 4 weeks in July. In Houston i had a hard time with the whole recycling thing. In Canada its really easy but where Ramos is they don't do it. I did find aschool near by to take newspapers and cardboard but i always feel so bad about throwing things away. That was a major things for me. But yes the paying with credit card thing did take a bit of time to get used to paying and making sure i was giving the right note or bill took adjustment too. But everyone was so nice i only had a few people who were a bit rude. I know it says hk but i am currently working here.

I agree with you on the recycling issue. Louisiana is the same way.

I am amazed at the amount of garbage (including us I am ashamed to say) that we put out- twice a week!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Although it's still much better than spray cheese. I never understood the attraction to that.

One of the primary reasons my husband is moving to the US is his discovery of Easy Cheese on Fritos Scoops :P

google.gif

Timeline
Although it's still much better than spray cheese. I never understood the attraction to that.

One of the primary reasons my husband is moving to the US is his discovery of Easy Cheese on Fritos Scoops :P

I have never met a cheese or cheese product I haven't liked!

Nini & Bee, what part of PA are you moving to? We're in the Philadelphia area.

My fiance (Bee) lives in Devon, near King of Prussia. I'm originally from Vancouver, myself.

What I've been really grateful for is Whole Foods and Trader Joes, which produces both organic foody and a wide selection of cheeses. Funnily enough, the last time I was over here, my fiance and I managed to find this amazingly tasty sharp white cheddar. Turns out that it was from Vermont. :D

I didn't mean to sound so despondent in my last post, because I am finding things that I like about the area, but it's definitely been a bit of a shock sometimes when I do the usual daily routine. I'll probably never get used to the highway system, though!

Luckily my fiance agrees with the organic/recycling thing, and he's been very happy to support the local farmer's markets. All we really need is to find a recycling depot like they do in Vancouver, and we're a little closer to what it's like for me at home. :)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Nini & Bee, what part of PA are you moving to? We're in the Philadelphia area.

My fiance (Bee) lives in Devon, near King of Prussia. I'm originally from Vancouver, myself.

We live in Media, which is 15 minutes west of Phila, and probably 20 minutes south of Devon, if we take 252.

There's also a Wegmans in Downington/Exton which isn't close, but not too far either. I've never been there, but they're like TJ's...a lot of original stuff/whole foods, etc.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

thats funny!...my husband (Canadian), LOVES Easy Cheese!.. I grew up on it so I love it too, especially on Chicken in a Biscuit! (its the name of a cracker by Nabisco in case anyone was wondering..LOL)

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline

try easy cheese on triscuits! i promise you won't be disappointed! very salty and cheesy - its a very evil addictive snack....

also, on the whole organic, local farmer support, etc - the US is going through a huge transition period where more and more of the trader joe, whole foods stores are popping up, and even in popular grocery stores theres sections organic or locally grown food... I think over the next 10 years we're going to see a big change in this, especially with people being so aware of the earth's problems whether it be health and what you put in your body or taking care of the environment. ive noticed a huge change over the last 2 years (im from chicagoland) and i see things popping up everywhere. the majority of my diet consists of organic/naturally raised foods, and it's very easy and accessible to me more and more each month.

*edit: yes i know easy cheese isn't organic, but there are just some things you can't give up! :P

Edited by piosenka

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
try easy cheese on triscuits! i promise you won't be disappointed! very salty and cheesy - its a very evil addictive snack....

also, on the whole organic, local farmer support, etc - the US is going through a huge transition period where more and more of the trader joe, whole foods stores are popping up, and even in popular grocery stores theres sections organic or locally grown food...

Oh I think Ive had Easy Cheese on every cracker ever made!..LOL..Dont know if they are in the US or not but Triscuit has a new flavor in Canada called Cracked Black Pepper...my husband just asked a few days ago when we were eating them if we had anymore Easy Cheese from our stash that we had from our last run over the border to Buffalo...sadly we are out of Easy Cheese

I cant wait to get back to Trader Joes and Wild Oats!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

also, on the whole organic, local farmer support, etc - the US is going through a huge transition period where more and more of the trader joe, whole foods stores are popping up, and even in popular grocery stores theres sections organic or locally grown food...

Oh I think Ive had Easy Cheese on every cracker ever made!..LOL..Dont know if they are in the US or not but Triscuit has a new flavor in Canada called Cracked Black Pepper...my husband just asked a few days ago when we were eating them if we had anymore Easy Cheese from our stash that we had from our last run over the border to Buffalo...sadly we are out of Easy Cheese

I cant wait to get back to Trader Joes and Wild Oats!

Oh yes, yes they do have them here.....our personal favourites are the roasted garlic ones and the rosemary & olive oil ones. Pop some cheese on those babies and mmmmmmmm!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline
I'm still getting used to the whole "check card" thing... like how it's not really like a debit card (but it is) and not really like a credit card... and getting asked if I want cash back each time.

I STILL don't understand this. What the heck IS this card? Is it a debit card or is it a credit card? Is there some sort of writeup about it online so I can figure out what it is? I just don't get it. Please help. LOL

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.