R.Ny

Filling out I-864, most recent federal tax return?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I'm filling I-864 for my wife. It has a check box question-

"I have filed a Federal tax return for each of the three most recent tax years. I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my Federal tax return for only the most recent tax year."

The most recent tax year is 2013. But I'vent yet filed for 2013 tax year. Is it Ok to check above question? I have field for tax years 2010,2011,2012.

Thanks for all the help here.

Hi there

If you have filed your 2013 tax, then that will be your most current tax year. If not, Then your most recent tax year is 2012...Jsut to be sure, make sure you send your 2010 and 2011 to your application, as well as a copy of your 2013 w2 (if you have not filed it yet)

Hope it helps

Regards

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

if u send ur package before april 15th then 2012 will work but if u send after april 15th then they will require in 2013 tax transcript.

USCIS
04/19/13 NOA1 Priority Date
12/12/13 info pass at local office told me file was transferred on 5th DEC
12/12/13 File at NSC
12/19/13 NOA2 (244days)
NVC
01/03/14 NVC Received Case
01/28/14 NVC Assigned Case Number and IIN
02/05/14 DS-261 Available and completed
02/06/14 Received e-mail to pay AOS Fee
02/06/14 AOS bill invoice available and paid
02/08/14 AOS Mailed
03/12/14 IV bill invoice available and paid
03/12/14 Pacakge IV mailed
03/15/14 DS-260 Available and completed
03/28/14 Case Complete
Consulate
04/07/14 Medicals
05/05/14 Fingerprinting & Photo
05/06/14 Interview

The form clearly states you are only required to send the current tax year transcript not all three unless you feel you need to provide additional information to ensure you are seen to be at the correct income level based on your household number. I sent in my AoS package last week and only included the 2012 tax year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

2013 is not supposed to be needed until after the April 15th deadline, however, when it gets this close to the deadline, RFEs do get sent out asking for the 2013 taxes. If you send just the 2013 W-2, then they may think you just did not comply with the requirement to provide a complete copy of your tax return and send an RFE for it. You could send it now, and if you get an RFE, you should have your 2013 taxes filed by then. You could also file the 2013 by the April 15th deadline and then send your AOS application after filing.

And no, it is not required to send in all 3 years worth of tax returns(or IRS transcripts). You need the Total Income info from the last 3 years on the form itself, but are only required to send in the most recent year.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.