Tala202

How'd You Move Everything?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So my husband and I have been discussing how to move my things down to Virginia for a while now and we're not quite sure how to go about it. I'm in Montreal, which is a ~11 hour drive from his apartment, so it's certainly doable by car, but his car is too small to fit my things and renting a U-Haul truck would be too expensive (gas & mileage; keep in mind he's only just started working full-time and I'm still in school, so money is a little bit of an issue). I don't have too much to move.. no furniture or anything, but a few boxes and probably two big suitcases mostly which would be filled with books, clothes, and other everyday stuff, with maybe a bit of kitchenware.

Anyway, I was wondering how you guys made/are planning to make the move from Canada to the US. I'd love to hear any suggestions! We've heard that Enterprise might be an option, but we've also received a lot of conflicting information, so we're not set on that.

I am the beneficiary.

July 2010: Met in Germany

Sept 14th 2012: Started Relationship (visited each other 20+ times since then)

May 1st – Aug 31st 2013: J1 Stay in US

Dec 23rd 2013– Jan 4th 2014: Trip together to Germany

Jan 30th, 2014: Married in VA!

Feb 11th, 2014: Back in Montreal

USCIS Journey

Feb 13th, 2014: Sent I-130 packet overnight (delayed by DC storm)

Feb 18th, 2014: I-130 received by USCIS (PD)

Feb 20th, 2014: NOA1 (email)

Feb 25th, 2014: NOA1 (paper)

June 11th, 2014: NOA2 (email)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So my husband and I have been discussing how to move my things down to Virginia for a while now and we're not quite sure how to go about it. I'm in Montreal, which is a ~11 hour drive from his apartment, so it's certainly doable by car, but his car is too small to fit my things and renting a U-Haul truck would be too expensive (gas & mileage; keep in mind he's only just started working full-time and I'm still in school, so money is a little bit of an issue). I don't have too much to move.. no furniture or anything, but a few boxes and probably two big suitcases mostly which would be filled with books, clothes, and other everyday stuff, with maybe a bit of kitchenware.

Anyway, I was wondering how you guys made/are planning to make the move from Canada to the US. I'd love to hear any suggestions! We've heard that Enterprise might be an option, but we've also received a lot of conflicting information, so we're not set on that.

Bonjour,

Well you got an option here, you can most definitely rent a minivan or a commercial van, most of the time the mileage are unlimited with those. The only thing is that you would have to bring the car back to Montreal. One way rentals to the US with Canadian cars are possible but very expensive, and not all companies do it. If all your stuff could fit in a minivan then i've seen minivans online at Trudeau airport (YUL) at NU Car rentals for 29.00/day, maybe even cheaper if you reserve the car a week or 2 in advance. Here check on this website www.Carrentals.com , once it tells you what company offers the cheapest price, check the companies website also, sometimes in cheaper going thru the rental company directly.

Make sure you make a list of everything you are bringing thru the champlain/lacolle border crossing for the CBP officers, that could save you hours at the border.

Hope this help.

Bonne Chance

Edited by blest.but.strest

Timeline

Bonjour,

Well you got an option here, you can most definitely rent a minivan or a commercial van, most of the time the mileage are unlimited with those. The only thing is that you would have to bring the car back to Montreal. One way rentals to the US with Canadian cars are possible but very expensive, and not all companies do it. If all your stuff could fit in a minivan then i've seen minivans online at Trudeau airport (YUL) at NU Car rentals for 29.00/day, maybe even cheaper if you reserve the car a week or 2 in advance. Here check on this website www.Carrentals.com , once it tells you what company offers the cheapest price, check the companies website also, sometimes in cheaper going thru the rental company directly.

Make sure you make a list of everything you are bringing thru the champlain/lacolle border crossing for the CBP officers, that could save you hours at the border.

Hope this help.

Bonne Chance

Thanks for all the advice!

We'd definitely like to rent something we could drop off in DC or something, so those minivans from the airport look great. Only thing is the prices for the mileage unlimited ones shoot up to ~$400 a day :( I'll look at the individual company websites tomorrow and see if they'd be cheaper that way.

OMG yes! Thank you so much for letting us know about that. I'll definitely make a detailed list of everything I'll be bringing in.

I am the beneficiary.

July 2010: Met in Germany

Sept 14th 2012: Started Relationship (visited each other 20+ times since then)

May 1st – Aug 31st 2013: J1 Stay in US

Dec 23rd 2013– Jan 4th 2014: Trip together to Germany

Jan 30th, 2014: Married in VA!

Feb 11th, 2014: Back in Montreal

USCIS Journey

Feb 13th, 2014: Sent I-130 packet overnight (delayed by DC storm)

Feb 18th, 2014: I-130 received by USCIS (PD)

Feb 20th, 2014: NOA1 (email)

Feb 25th, 2014: NOA1 (paper)

June 11th, 2014: NOA2 (email)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't bother, left a lot behind, in the end it was simpler.

08-20-2011 Married

Work Visa

03-04-2012 Obtained L1-B Visa at Champlain, NY POE

Green Card

(Day 0) 03-13-2014 Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lock box

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Bio-metrics appointment letter received (appointment 05/02/2014)

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Successful Bio-metrics walk-in @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 53) 05-05-2014 Received hard copy of Interview Letter.

(Day 82) 06-03-2014 Day of AOS interview, Approved on the spot, given an approval letter.

(Day 89) 06-09-2014 Green Card in hand delivered after only 89 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Citizenship

(Day 0) 03-19-2018 N-400 Application Submitted Online

(Day 21) 04-09-2018 Bio-metrics Appointment @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 77) 06-04-2018 Received Interview Letter

(Day 114) Naturalization Interview - Approved on the spot @West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 116) Naturalization Oath Ceremony @ West Palm Beach, FL

________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport

(Day 0) 07-20-2018 Applied for passport (Non-Expedited) @ Clerk of Country, Port St Lucie Florida

(Day 17) 08-06-2018 Passport Received

Uhaul. Cost about 1600 total with gas for a 18hr trip. If you have a place to store some of it take it in trips. You have 10 years to move your things. You'll soon find out whats most important. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Just make sure you're allowed to drive over the border and dropoff is fine in the US.

I agree with NLR though - bringing your stuff gradually is good - just remember to bring everything really important on the first trip since you won't be back home for a while.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just hire a moving company and let them take care of it.

I moved a lot of stuff from Toronto to NYC for $1300 (including sofa, bed, mattress and about 8 big uhaul boxes) Yes it was a cheap deal but they took longer (about 14 days because they have to consolidate your stuff with others.

Go online and call some cross border moving companies.

The other thing you can do is that you can fly over and usually its much cheaper to pay the extra cost of additional suitcase (on international flights its only $75 but I think with US flights its $50 per suit case with 50lbs allowed limit) $50 per suitcase is way cheaper than hiring a company to move your stuff. If you have heavy boxes then this option will probably not work.

You can even try shipping companies (not moving companies) that can move your boxes for a $100-$125 ( I shipped boxes to my sister from Toronto to Calgary with blender and kitchen stuff through Fedex for about $200 per box - the boxes WERE HEAVY!) So you can fly with suitcases and ship the remaining boxes through shipping companies. Moving companies can be tricky so this might be a better option since you have no furniture.

Timeline

Jun - Job offer in US
Jul - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US - 2 year valid

Aug - Left for Hong Kong for training - re-entered @ JFK and received 2nd TN

Sep - Continued work in U.S. on TN visa - valid till Jul 31, 2014

April - Met husband for the 1st time

May- decided to get married

August - Married in Texas, honeymoon in Hawaii (did not leave U.S.)

October - Quit TN job in U.S and moved to Ohio

Feb 18th (Day 0) - Mailed in my AOS package via UPS Express (I-130 & I-485, I693, I864, I765, I131)

Feb 19th (Day 1) - UPS tracking shows package delivered!!!

Feb 25th (Day 6) - Rcvd text&email NOA1 (I-130 = Initial Review & I-485=Acceptance, I693, I864, I765=Initial Review,I131 = Initial Review )

Feb 27th (Day 8) - Rcvd NOA1 in the mail

March 4th (Day 13) - Received biometrics appt letter in the mail - (appt for March 20 in Indianapolis)

March 20th (Day 30) - Biometrics Completed in Indianapolis

March 24th (Day 34) - waiting..... waiting.... and waiting for my travel authorization .. really wanna go to Canada

March 31st (Day 41) - AOS - Received text and email for change of status to "interview and testing"

April 7th (Day 48) - AOS - Received text and email for NOA mailed with info about "interview and testing". Says Interview scheduled for May 8th!!!!

April 10th (Day 52) - AOS - Received NOA2 in the mail for interview on May 8th at 9:30 in Indianapolis

Shipping through fedex would be exponentially expensive across the border. I wanted to ship my husband's telescope to him once. Tried fedex, ups, and postal mail. Box was 22lbs, cheapest was $250ish. I took it as a checked bag next time I visited instead. $25 was better I thought. Lol.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Uhaul. Cost about 1600 total with gas for a 18hr trip. If you have a place to store some of it take it in trips. You have 10 years to move your things. You'll soon find out whats most important. ;)

Really?? Uhaul quoted me $1400 just to rent the truck.

[url=
[url=[url=
event.png

05/19/12 : Got married

USCIS

07/21/13 : I-130 Mailed to USCIS

07/24/13 : NOA1

01/13/14 : Case transferred to CSC

01/31/14 : NOA2

NVC

02/11/14 : NVC received the case

03/18/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

03/19/14 : ENROLL Email sent (Did not receive auto reply)

03/20/14 : DS-261 Available and submitted

03/21/14 : AOS bill Available and paid

03/26/14 : AOS shows paid

03/26/14 : ENROLL email sent again (Received auto reply this time)

03/26/14 : AOS Emailed to NVC (No auto reply, but this is the email they responded too)

03/28/14 : IV bill available and paid

04/04/14 : IV shows paid

04/04/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

04/04/14 : IV package emailed to NVC(Haven't received ENROLL acceptance yet. but I figured I'd try and see what happens, Did not receive auto reply)

04/15/14 : AOS Emailed(received auto-reply)

04/17/14 : Received ENROLL acceptance email from NVC

04/17/14 : IV package emailed(Received Auto-reply)

04/17/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of AOS-notice by email

04/21/14 : AOS approved (No checklist woo hoo, by phoning NVC))

04/21/14 : False check list for IV docs- email from NVC

04/28/14 : NVC reviewed DS-260

04/29/14 : False checklist for IV docs- email from NVC(the second one they've sent me)

05/05/14 : NVC acknowledges receipt of IV- notice by email

05/06/14 : Case Complete

05/14/14 : Interview scheduled--JUNE 25

06/03/14 : Medical with Dr. Ian Zatzman

07/11/14 : POE Qweenston/Lewiston Bridge New York

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you can get a decent Volvo stationwagon (940 or 740) for 1400 usd, drive it back and forth, then sell it. it'll hold yer stuff, I'm a thinkin...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

855 or 98 v70 may also work for this. ;)

If you get a 99+ Volvo wagon make sure the etm has been replaced (electronic throttle had issues for the first few years)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ew - a v70 or 855? no la. different electronics, needs electronics to run.

most 740s and 940s do not need that stuff. important on a longish road trip.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lol true but still decent and bulletproof. But even the "simpler" 245/745/945 may have some issues at this age. Montreal may have rust issues too.

(Had an s70 - sedan version) that I put half a million km on)

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

Why doesn;t he rent a Uhaul van in VA - drive up, collect you and your stuff and drive back?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.