AHPS2014

Interview with USC Missing Birth Certificate

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My spouse is a US citizen and we got married during November of 2013.

We were notified that our application was received at the end of January and I had my biometrics appointment on February 25th.

We have been waiting on the EAD so that I can apply for a SSN and this past weekend we got a letter scheduling us for our interview. A lot sooner then we expected which is great!

The problem is that my husband legally changed his name back in 2010 and didn't know he had to amend his birth certificate. When the court approved his name change they kept his original birth certificate. He went to request a new one earlier today with the necessary changes but was told it can take 4 weeks to receive the birth certificate in the mail. That would be April 17th!

They gave him a receipt that confirmed the order was placed but he doesn't currently have a copy of his old birth certificate. When we submitted all of our paper work he showed his US Passport with the current legal name on it and sent along a copy of a baptism certificate and an official court document detailing the name change.

We tried talking to USCIS but they were very unhelpful and told us to talk to an immigration lawyer.

Has anyone else had a similar situation or heard of anyone else whose US Spouse didn't have a birth certificate on hand?

Any help would be so appreciated!!! We are freaking out over here.

Thanks!

If you have alternative proof of your husband's US citizenship, such as his passport (as you indicate) then it's unlikely you'll need his birth certificate. You just need to show that he is a US citizen, which usually means showing his US-issued birth certificate / CRBA or a copy of his naturalisation certificate (if a naturalised US citizen) or a copy of the biographical page of his US passport. You're unlikely to be asked to provide this again if you've already provided a copy with the initial filing.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the advice!

We have been worried because the notice for the interview said to bring a birth certificate and other forms of ID that establish citizenship.

The interview is the 15th and the birth certificate might not come until April 17th. So there is a lot of stress worrying that it might not come soon enough.

I just wanted to know if our case would get denied because of something like this. We were't able to afford an immigration lawyer and we have done everything ourselves. Not being able to get the birth certificate in time is a huge stress on us when we have worked so hard to do everything else as right as possible.

There's no way this will cause a denial. I agree with Hypnos that it's extremely likely the passport will be sufficient, but in the event that it's not they'll give you an RFE and you'll bring the birth certificate in to the office a few days later when it arrives.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Please keep me posted too! I am in the same situation as you are except that I am simply missing my spouse (USC) birth certificate from Saudi Arabia and I have NO WAY of getting it from there. I'm still trying to figure out how we can request a copy ..

Do let me know what happens at your interview and if they even bother looking at the birth certificate.

Timeline

Jun - Job offer in US
Jul - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US - 2 year valid

Aug - Left for Hong Kong for training - re-entered @ JFK and received 2nd TN

Sep - Continued work in U.S. on TN visa - valid till Jul 31, 2014

April - Met husband for the 1st time

May- decided to get married

August - Married in Texas, honeymoon in Hawaii (did not leave U.S.)

October - Quit TN job in U.S and moved to Ohio

Feb 18th (Day 0) - Mailed in my AOS package via UPS Express (I-130 & I-485, I693, I864, I765, I131)

Feb 19th (Day 1) - UPS tracking shows package delivered!!!

Feb 25th (Day 6) - Rcvd text&email NOA1 (I-130 = Initial Review & I-485=Acceptance, I693, I864, I765=Initial Review,I131 = Initial Review )

Feb 27th (Day 8) - Rcvd NOA1 in the mail

March 4th (Day 13) - Received biometrics appt letter in the mail - (appt for March 20 in Indianapolis)

March 20th (Day 30) - Biometrics Completed in Indianapolis

March 24th (Day 34) - waiting..... waiting.... and waiting for my travel authorization .. really wanna go to Canada

March 31st (Day 41) - AOS - Received text and email for change of status to "interview and testing"

April 7th (Day 48) - AOS - Received text and email for NOA mailed with info about "interview and testing". Says Interview scheduled for May 8th!!!!

April 10th (Day 52) - AOS - Received NOA2 in the mail for interview on May 8th at 9:30 in Indianapolis

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.