Chicken_Little

Grrr...

107 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't drink coffee at all, but my wife tried it while she was up there and of course my parents raved to her that she has to try it when we had visited last time. She did and was like, ok tastes like any other coffee. Only time I ever get anything from there in Canada is when I'm on the 401 visiting friends and then comming back to see my parents and they have those travel rest stops that always have that and either a Wendy's or a Sub shop in them. There's always a Tim Hortons. If I ever get anything it's a bowl of soup...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just of course the name it different and people wonder what I'm talking about when I say Kraft Dinner rather then Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Yeah took my fiance a while before he understood what Kraft dinner was.... :lol:

Of course I think Mac & cheese is goofy, but oh well....

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really missed crumpets and finally found an online place on the West Coast that makes real crumpets: www.teancrumpets.com - I ordered in 2 dozen hehehe and the price including the shipping worked out to be comparable to buying them in store in Canada. I also ordered in some crumpet rings from cooks.com so I can now make my own!

About the variety . . . well, having gone back to Canada for Christmas and joining my sister in law for a last minute run to a grocery store - Canada beats the US hands down for having much better and more variety of fresh produce including exotic or tropical fruits. Even Whole Foods here doesn't have as much variety as their local grocery store (used to be a Loblaws) and that is what I miss a lot. I buy a lot more frozen here and yeah, I use a lot more mixes to make things because things don't turn out the way they are supposed to when I make them from scratch. I did find some Heinz tomato soup that doesn't have HFCS - it cost twice as much as the other tomato soup does and it isn't carried in any of my local grocery stores (Target, Kroeger, Walmart - pretty basic stuff only). I can drive an hour to an hour and a half to get some things in Whole Foods north of Atlanta but don't do that often.

I haunt Big Lots! You never know when they are going to get in some of my favourite Canadian and British foods on a buy out:-). What I also miss is having a Dutch specialty store - love salt licourice! And I still miss real peamale bacon and 'old' cheddar that is actually older than 6 months! What gives with that?!! The extra old cheddar here is less than a year old and tastes like mild! I miss curds - I used to go to the cheese factory in Wilton Ont. to buy them still warm from the vats.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

, and Timmy's (YIKES.... do I miss those Ice Capps)

Dunkin Donuts Coffe Coolata(sp?) is similar to Tim's Ice Capps, but not the same. Yes, I'm recomending a place for coffe besides Wawa.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dunkins coffee is ok, with their XL I have to get 7 shots of cream!!! Soo strong!!! When I walk into the store, I dont even have to say what I want!! I felt bad one day, I was like #5 in line, and the servers automatically got me my coffee ahead of the others,oops!!! pays to tip i tell ya!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I really missed crumpets and finally found an online place on the West Coast that makes real crumpets: www.teancrumpets.com - I ordered in 2 dozen hehehe and the price including the shipping worked out to be comparable to buying them in store in Canada. I also ordered in some crumpet rings from cooks.com so I can now make my own!

About the variety . . . well, having gone back to Canada for Christmas and joining my sister in law for a last minute run to a grocery store - Canada beats the US hands down for having much better and more variety of fresh produce including exotic or tropical fruits. Even Whole Foods here doesn't have as much variety as their local grocery store (used to be a Loblaws) and that is what I miss a lot. I buy a lot more frozen here and yeah, I use a lot more mixes to make things because things don't turn out the way they are supposed to when I make them from scratch. I did find some Heinz tomato soup that doesn't have HFCS - it cost twice as much as the other tomato soup does and it isn't carried in any of my local grocery stores (Target, Kroeger, Walmart - pretty basic stuff only). I can drive an hour to an hour and a half to get some things in Whole Foods north of Atlanta but don't do that often.

I haunt Big Lots! You never know when they are going to get in some of my favourite Canadian and British foods on a buy out:-). What I also miss is having a Dutch specialty store - love salt licourice! And I still miss real peamale bacon and 'old' cheddar that is actually older than 6 months! What gives with that?!! The extra old cheddar here is less than a year old and tastes like mild! I miss curds - I used to go to the cheese factory in Wilton Ont. to buy them still warm from the vats.

Kathryn I'm going to that link (www.teancrumpets.com) and it's automatically taking me to http://www.teaandcrumpets.org/, where you can buy tshirts, art and earrings but no actual crumpets. Can you please verify the link for me or let me know where I'm going wrong? :)

Cerise, of the wants crumpets too aura

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline
I personally think that the US has more choices in the grocery stores than Canada AND it's much cheaper. (I'm talking about San Francisco) It's not a big deal... just substitute it with something else!!!! I know I'm gonna get beat up when I say this but there are other better coffees out there. Tim Horton's not the only one!!!

Don't let em scare you Mao, I'm Canadian and I'm not that fond of Tim's coffee. It seems to me to be a much bigger deal on the East coast than the West coast. :)

:lol:

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline

I would agree Tims is bigger on the east coast and on the prairies, maybe not so much on the West.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I personally think that the US has more choices in the grocery stores than Canada AND it's much cheaper. (I'm talking about San Francisco) It's not a big deal... just substitute it with something else!!!! I know I'm gonna get beat up when I say this but there are other better coffees out there. Tim Horton's not the only one!!!

Don't let em scare you Mao, I'm Canadian and I'm not that fond of Tim's coffee. It seems to me to be a much bigger deal on the East coast than the West coast. :)

:lol:

Thank you ceriserose for your reply.. I am not a coffee drinker and once in a blue moon, I'll have a cup of coffee at work (when I'm very sleepy and I feel like I'm gonna doze off!) I'm more of a tea and water drinker! :lol: For me, I dont drink coffee that often because whenever I do, I pile on the milk and sugar and I know it's BAD for me! heheh I do have to admit that I like Tim Horton's chili, some of their donuts.. and their frappaccino! I do, however, have to give credit to the coffee they serve in Madrid, Spain. As a non coffee drinker, their coffee really is my cup of tea! (coffee, in this case) I've never had such a good cup of coffee that doesnt' leave a bad aftertaste!

Anyways... I know it's very frustrating for the person who is moving to start from scratch and adapt to a new place... environment, foods, choices in groceries, etc... but I guess as long as you're reunited with the one you love, you shouldn't worry about little things like that, right? I'm generally pretty flexible when it comes to things like that.... I figure, it'll give me a chance to try something new! Another thing I thought that might be the reason why a number of us are experiencing this is the fact that someone might have moved to the US from a more 'urban' part of the country to a more 'rural' part of the country where the choices are not as plentiful as they would like it to be.... Again.. that's just my opinion.... :)

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Filed: Other Timeline
Just of course the name it different and people wonder what I'm talking about when I say Kraft Dinner rather then Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Yeah took my fiance a while before he understood what Kraft dinner was.... :lol:

Of course I think Mac & cheese is goofy, but oh well....

the Canadian version is different from the US version. The ingredients are different, and the Canadian tastes more cheesy. As Kath mentioned, even regular cheese here in the US isn't very cheesy. I have to agree. I usually buy imported cheese, at exhorbitant prices mind you! because anything I've ever tried that's made here in the US just doesn't resemble cheese IMO. Its like rubber and with very little flavour.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
the Canadian version is different from the US version. The ingredients are different, and the Canadian tastes more cheesy. As Kath mentioned, even regular cheese here in the US isn't very cheesy. I have to agree. I usually buy imported cheese, at exhorbitant prices mind you! because anything I've ever tried that's made here in the US just doesn't resemble cheese IMO. Its like rubber and with very little flavour.

My husband thinks I'm crazy because I flat out refuse to eat "Kraft Mac & Cheese". It's so gross! He actually doesn't think that Kraft Dinner tastes different, so I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I just finally got used to the taste of US fast food, and I'm still iffy on the Chinese food here.

US grocery stores may have more "choices", but it's mostly just more packaged foods, definitely not fresh stuff. I miss the huge grocery stores of Canada. It is cheaper there though, so that's a plus. I've been our main grocery shopper for the past 10 months or so, and I still get confused about what kind of milk to buy.

Timeline

Well the biggest thing I have noticed is there is no french on the packages. :) Oh and I can not find the garlic butter spread I get when I visit my fiancee in Canada.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
Well the biggest thing I have noticed is there is no french on the packages. :) Oh and I can not find the garlic butter spread I get when I visit my fiancee in Canada.

No disrespect to the French people, but what a pain! lol Love flying in the USA, as all announcements are only in English, lol

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
No disrespect to the French people, but what a pain! lol Love flying in the USA, as all announcements are only in English, lol

Yeah english and spanish that is...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Have never heard Spanish when flying, nor see it on food labels.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.