Chicken_Little

Grrr...

107 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Cheese Curds are illegal in the US by health code because all cheese must be pasteurized and you can't get cheese curds if the milk has been pasteurized..

what? How am I supposed to open up a poutine stand when no one will hire me because all my experience is in Canada? (I've been reading the getting a job horror stories...)

I know from visits that some things are hard to find in the US, but on the flip side, the selection of other stuff is enormous. Still, I've started making notes.....

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Cheese Curds are illegal in the US by health code because all cheese must be pasteurized and you can't get cheese curds if the milk has been pasteurized..

what? How am I supposed to open up a poutine stand when no one will hire me because all my experience is in Canada? (I've been reading the getting a job horror stories...)

I know from visits that some things are hard to find in the US, but on the flip side, the selection of other stuff is enormous. Still, I've started making notes.....

Great news Hockeygal!!!!...You were given some bad information from another member!!! Now you can open your very own Poutine stand!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curds

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, they can make fake cheese curds with pasturized milk. The law is the same in Canada.. I think Quebec was the last holdout. Still, there are places to buy a little old world cheese here and there. Illegal yes.. Tasty too.

And here is a link to get 5 pounds of them in the mail. USA made..

http://www.rockcheese.com/supfreschees.html

You need to head out to Dairy country!

Edited by cmartyn

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It took me a while, but I finally read the last page.

I appreciate the info about the flour---I, too, make my own bread and found it was just impossible and that was taking into account the elevation (SE Idaho---south of the Snake River plain).

In the place that I visit and will be moving to (if things work out for 2007), I have found that the prices are all about double what I have paid for stuff in Canada---with, perhaps, the exception of here in Calgary. There are tons of people here who have tons of money and the prices reflect the wealth.

Surprises were the lack of price difference between large flake rolled oats and "quick" rolled oats---large flake cost more in most places that I have lived in Canada. Since I can no longer eat "quick" oat without gagging (gad they're gross), I do not know if the large flake cost more or less than quick oats because the store that I buy oats from doesn't carry the grody quick oats. But, in Idaho, they are the same price---and that's in WinCo or Fred Meyer (Albertson's just plain costs more).

BUT, Albertson's is a hold out for Jello 1 2 3. Anyone old enough to remember when that used to be in Canada?

Thanks, also, for the heads up about the corn syrup ubiquity. No wonder the boyfriend looked at me strangely when he discovered that I did not know what Karo Syrup was. He spoke of it like "Karo" was the substance from which the syrup was made---and I had never heard of such a plant or fruit. Then, when he showed me some, I realised what it was (my mom used Beehive) and that I still hadn't heard of it. (We needed some for a pie.)

I found that the plain cappuccino that is dispensed from a machine in the Stinker's chain of gas stations / convenience stores is a good substitute for Timmy's English Toffee cappuccino. I don't really care for anything else that Timmy's sells---I *did* like the tim-totes, but they don't sell them anymore.

Cheese curds are made in Logan, UT and it's a quick jaunt over the ID border to go get some. I can't remember the name of the store at the moment. And there's a rumour that they also have cheese curds up near Rexburg . . . or on the way to Rexburg . . . .

Yes, Buckley's is available online to the states, but it is only the kind with Dextromethorphine (sp?) in it. The regular Buckley's still has to be purchased in Canada. I gave some to my boyfriend last year for his birthday after fielding the complaints about the online stuff.

Oh, Yves brand of veggie "meat" is from Vancouver, not Montréal.

However, as the produce department in *any* grocery chain in SE ID is far more extensive than anything I have seen anywhere (except California)---I can live without Timmy's instant sugary powdered coffee mix, Y&S licorice cigars and can put up with having to specifically buy "bread" flour.

Ah, but yes, it *is* good to ###### sometimes. :-)

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Filed: Other Timeline

well, after living here in North Carolina for a year and a half, I've about found my way around and learned to adapt a few things.

First, I, like Velvett, HATE High Fructose Corn Syrup (I even recently ranted about it on my blog.) I really miss my Pepsi, among other things.

Heinz is now making an organic ketchup which is made in Canada, and contains no HFCS, so I've switched to that, after using up the last of my Canadian Heinz ketchup recently.

I'm also now selling Watkins Products and none of their products contain HFCS (or MSG). The Meat Magic is like Worcesteshire Sauce back home, (even Lea & Perrins here in the US has HFCS in it of course :P )

At Christmas time I ordered a bunch of stuff from Canadian Favourites because my husband tried to tell me that there's no difference between Canadian KD and US Mac & Cheese. HA! So I ordered a couple boxes and yes, he agreed the Canadian is better. Plus I got some "real" Cadbury's chocolate, some Shreddies (another thing that I miss from home!), and some Bits & Bites for hubby.

They have also added Health & Beauty products, and you can order Gravol and Neo Citran from there.

Locally I have been able to find a few Canadian/UK favourites. I can get Dare cookies and Stoned Wheat thins crackers at Ingles stores (tho recently they haven't had my fave Cinnamon Danish cookies). Wheetabix cereal can be found in the "organic" food aisle in some stores. And sometimes at Big Lots they'll have some Canadian imports.

I really wish I could find some proper bagels around here. It really is a regional thing tho, the bagels here in NC are mushy and squishy and really really yucky, but a couple weeks ago we drove up to Chicago for a couple days and the hotel had some not so bad bagels for breakfast.

I have a bread maker to make bread because store bought is disgusting and there's no bakery around here. But lately its been doing weird things and my bread is turning out mutant, the last one completely inedible :( Could be user error, or maybe the flour or yeast was funky. Dunno.

Anyhoo, now that I've finally either got used to US equivalents, or found where to get Canadian foods, we're going to be moving to Wisconsin in a couple or few months, and I'll have to start all over again. I do suspect tho that up there I will be able to get more Canadian things than I can here, and may have a better selection of "international" foods up there. At least its closer to the border and if I really need to, I can drive a couple hours up to Manitoba to grab a few things.

oh, and cheese! I dislike American cheeses, so I buy imports. English and Irish mostly, because for some reason the Canadian imports cost twice as much!

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks like I may have to order Rappie Pie mix from Nova Scotia (Ted D'Eon makes the best!)....I'm a bit skittish to try it myself and of course you can't buy it here in the South. Thanks to Peggy I now have a recipe for Donair Sauce :D Poutine can't be that hard to duplicate either, so I'm confident with trying that. Sigh....I miss Nova Scotia :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm goin gto give the donair reciepe a go soon. Always enjoyed my time in Halifax!! Head out to the bars, then donairs after!! Nothing better than waking up in the morning with a hangover, with a smelly donair wrapped in tin foil laying by your head!! The good old days, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm goin gto give the donair reciepe a go soon. Always enjoyed my time in Halifax!! Head out to the bars, then donairs after!! Nothing better than waking up in the morning with a hangover, with a smelly donair wrapped in tin foil laying by your head!! The good old days, lol

:lol::lol::lol:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

[/quote

Isnt that the truth Scott. I can relate to that. :yes:

About that Donair Sauce. I made that the other day, and I only put 1/2 cup of vinegar in the recipe. I still found the taste of it to overpowering. Seems like all I could taste was the vinegar. So just watch out when your making it. Only add so much of it as a time.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im pretty new to VJ so its been fun going back and reading some older posts..I really enjoyed this thread..

Im American, my husband Canadian..and when I moved to Canada 5 years ago, I literally cried the first time I went grocery shopping here...I couldnt find anything that I was used too..over the years I have adjusted, but I look forward to getting home and doing some major grocery shopping!!....Our suitcases are always LOADED with groceries when we go for visits! I love the SuperWalmarts back home, the prices, the selection...etc..One of my favorite lines they carry is Blue Bunny!

I will however miss Ketchup Chips, Passion Flakies, Donairs, and the Chinese Food its alot different than it is back home in Las Vegas..

My husband just wonders if the cravings for Tim Hortons will ever go away...hes already missing it and we just sent in our paperwork!..LOL

Kimmbo

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline

Ok going way back to the person who couldn't find the honey garlic sauce for ribs etc. We have them at all our grocery stores (King Soopers or Safeway). There's several brands that sell it and I use it for my chicken quite often.

Onion bagles? Yep we have those as well, I don't get them or buy bagles, but every once in awhile at work people bring them in and I always grab the onion ones.

Kraft Dinner to me tastes the same here as it does in Canada. Just of course the name it different and people wonder what I'm talking about when I say Kraft Dinner rather then Kraft Mac and Cheese.

And yes we have Mrs. T's perogies here, which I can't remember the brand I used to get in Canada, but they're pretty close to the same taste I think...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I personally think that the US has more choices in the grocery stores than Canada AND it's much cheaper. (I'm talking about San Francisco) It's not a big deal... just substitute it with something else!!!! I know I'm gonna get beat up when I say this but there are other better coffees out there. Tim Horton's not the only one!!!

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Timeline

Hpw do we go about banning MAO? lol I do love Timmys, but yes I do enjoy other coffee's as well. Prior to Tims though, i wasn't much of a coffee drinker.

I think the selection is pretty even between USA/Canada, price wise sort of matters where u live in Canada/USA. I know milk, dairy was cheap in SASK, but $$$ on the east coast of Canada.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hpw do we go about banning MAO? lol

Hehehe.. I knew I was gonna get beat up when I said that.. :lol:

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Timeline
Hpw do we go about banning MAO? lol

Hehehe.. I knew I was gonna get beat up when I said that.. :lol:

Beat up?? oh no, it shall be worse than that!!!! Sleep with the lights on!! :unsure::dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.