Nick2012

Wife's family Visa rejected...now what are our options?

15 posts in this topic

Hi

My wife is from Brasil and we recently married in court last year and now she has a Green card. We live in NY. This October we are having the actual reception(wedding) in the US and would like some of my wife's family to come visit.

Her family members went to Rio to the US embassy and most of them got rejected

Her Aunt and Uncle who have good jobs both got approved while her mom, brother, brother's financee and brother's financee daugher got rejected

I've been reading on this website that you need to show strong ties to Brasil but they didn't really ask them many questions. All they asked was how much money they make.

Do you think the fact that all of them went together at the same time for the VIsa is the reason they got rejected? Also we told them to say that they are all staying at our home. Is it better for them to say they are staying at a hotel and only want to visit for a week?

Also - Can they apply really soon like in 2-4 weeks?

I really want my wife's mom and brother to be able to attend our reception but I want to make sure we give them as much info as possible this time around to give them a better chance of getting approved

Any suggestions are more than welcome!!

Thanks in advance

12-20-11 - Started filling out I129F and gathering other information

01-06-12 - Shipped I-129F forms via FedEx

01-09-12 - Delivered to Texas Processing center

01-11-12 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont

01-17-12 - I-797 received in mail confirming my request for engagement visa

Unless something significant changed in between two visa appointments - denial will be repeated again.

You may want to consider having a reception in Brazil if it's important for that part of family to attend.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is no wait period. They can re apply now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Changing the length of the proposed visit or where one plans to stay does not address the central issue....which is, they failed to convince the VO that they would leave the US when they said....the above items, for example, if changed, do not represent significant or material changes in their current situation (whatever it is). If your relatives are unemployed, or have low skilled, low paying jobs, that is not going to change in 2 weeks.

Your relatives were asked more than one question (a common complaint, never valid, is that the VO asked the relative or friend only one question...which is baloney). For whatever the reason(s), those who were refused did not convince the VO of their intentions. Altering meaningless items hoping to somehow fool the next VO won't work.

If they do decide to reapply in a couple of weeks, you can bet that the very first question asked will be..'what has significantly changed in your situation in the past X number of weeks?'....telling the VO that they now plan to stay only an hour and a half, or that they have booked the penthouse at the Marriott would (a) not be believable and (b) does not represent a change in their situation, only in insignificant details. When they answer "we just wanna go to the US really badly cause it's important", once again, that is not a change in their situation.

Trying to shove some letter through the window that you wrote, promising or guaranteeing their compliance with our laws will have no more value than last week's newspaper. You have no legal authority over them once they enter the US; you cannot make them do anything.

And no, some boiler plate letter from congressman Slushbucket won't do the trick either.

Just to show you what a crapshoot the tourist visa is from some countries, I will give you my wife's experience at the Consulate in Almaty. We decided to have her come to the US to visit. I did send an invitation letter stating our intentions and that I would pay for her expenses while in the US. She sent everything to the Consulate in Almaty and had her interview. A nice young woman interviewed her and denied her tourist visa. We decided to try again after about 3 weeks. She send everything in again and had her interview with a middle aged man who knows where my wife worked and that her salary was well above average for Almaty, but no where close to a good salary in the US. She was approved. The main difference was the CO who interviewed her. You may want to have only those people you really want/need to apply this time around. You can apply as many times as you want or can afford and the Embassy/Consulate will keep taking your money.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Kathryn41

True, but what changed in our situation? The CO is the only difference that I can see. That and shelling out another $165 for another visa application. I am just relating our experience at an entirely different consulate. Each handles things in its own way.

We will never know the exact reason. Maybe if the OP's relatives have travelled to other countries and returned that would help show a pattern. Maybe if the husband and wife and child do not all go to the US that would help as it looks like the entire family is leaving. Maybe it is an age thing. It is unfortunate that their plans are in the hands of a single individual, but that is the game we all decided to play when we decided to marry a person from another country. OP: It might be easier to have the party in a country besides the US. Find a third country all can get to easily and celebrate your union there.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

• 3 months later...

My MIL is going to try for the 3rd time. I think I'm going to ask her to be more confident and not try to push papers in the face of the CO

Any other advice is greatly appreciated thx

12-20-11 - Started filling out I129F and gathering other information

01-06-12 - Shipped I-129F forms via FedEx

01-09-12 - Delivered to Texas Processing center

01-11-12 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont

01-17-12 - I-797 received in mail confirming my request for engagement visa

My MIL is going to try for the 3rd time. I think I'm going to ask her to be more confident and not try to push papers in the face of the CO

Good luck to her. Confidence can go a long ways as can respect.

Dave

Mom can try again but the others should not waste money

Mom has to convince them she would like to be at her childs

wedding...don't grovel, be polite and convincing, if she has

assets she did not disclose do so now...yep they do ask ONE

question if your pay scale answer is meager....oops there it is

no, they scrutinize the applications B4 U get to window

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Not pushing papers in the face of the CO is a wise move. Other than that just tell her to be calm and collected. Good luck to her!!!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

COs ask more than one question....no matter what anyone else says (and those someones have never spent one minute behind the window interviewing anyone, so why should their opinion be worth anything?)

The forum is for everyones opinion not just your negative ones ..U must be miserable

nott everyone a CO ask one question, but applications are eyeballed prior to one getting

to that window if they lack whats required , then they may only get asked one question, some

don't even get their things taken...what make only one person opinion count here? R they

the CO?....ppl complain about insults here we all can be a little kinder on this forum or keep

it moving with the negatives...dont take much to offer a kind word....too many hateful posts by U

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

2 posts containing inappropriate comments have been removed along with one post responding to comments. One poster has also been thread-banned from this discussion.

If you cannot post without resorting to offensive commentary, then do not participate.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.