26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience! Hoping to get to that point in the next couple of months. March 2013 filer as well...it has been a long journey. Glad to hear yours is almost over and everything is positive!!!! Congratulations :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congratulations

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-06-01

I-130 Sent : 2013-07-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-08-02

I-130 RFE : 2013-11-17

I-130 RFE Sent : 2013-11-26

I-130 Approved : 2013-12-06

NVC Received : 2014-01-09

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-02-07

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-02-12

Receive I-864 Package : 2014-02-11

Send AOS Package : 2014-02-17

Submit DS-261 : 2014-02-07

Receive IV Bill : 2014-02-26

Pay IV Bill : 2014-02-27

Send IV Package :

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-04-02

Case upgrade Request email may 29 2014

Email by nvc of receiving case update request 18 june2014

case update (confirmation by call) 24 july 2014

casse complete Again as CR1: 29 july 2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Congrats, live long and prosper!

USCIS

2013-04-... - Sent I-130(Lawyer)
2013-04-15 - NOA1
2013-11-29 - Transferred to TSC
2013-12-30 - Approved NOA2 by e-mail
2014-01-13 - NOA2 Shipped to NVC

NVC
2014-01-21 - NVC received
2014-02-25 - NVC case number assigned case
2014-XX-XX - Completed DS-261 online
2014-03-05 - I-864(AOS) Bill Generated and paid
2014-04-01 - Sent I-864(AOS) Package
2014-XX-XX - DS-261 accepted
2014-03-10 - IV bill invoiced and paid
2014-03-19 - DS-260 completed online
2014-04-01 - IV packet sent
2014-04-04 - AOS & IV Packages arrived NVC
2014-04-21 - IV Package false check list
2014-04-22 - AOS check list
2014-05-07 - AOS check list Package scanned at NVC
2014-06-02 - Case completed
2014-06-11 - Interview scheduled

Consulate
2014-04-21 - Medical Exam
2014-07-17 - Interview - APPROVED
2014-XX-XX - Visa in hand
2014-08-14 - POE-Newark

-ROC Journey-
07/20/2016 - Sent package via UPS to CSC.
07/25/2016 - Package received.
07/28/2016 - Check cashed.
-- /--/2016 - NOA1 received.

Timeline

Hello VJ'rs : I just completed my interview in Montreal for an IR1 visa, spouse of US citizen. I have to first say we started the process with the idea that we would not try to rush and just let the process take its course. We filed all our paperwork in March of 2013 and it took about 5 months for it to get through USICS. After we tecieved notification that it was at NVC on November 5th, we registered for electronic processing, filed DS-261. Filled out DS-260 and 864-EZ. Interview letter arrived January 30th via email. Interview was today March 13, 2014.

I arrived in Montreal last night to cold, wind and snow. Stayed at the hotel saint Philip. Suggestion by VJ'er. Consulate is right around the block, or just through the back parking lot and to the right. I got my Starbucks up the street on Rue st. Catherine's, and walked to the consulate, I actually walked right by it and when I xame back there were about 12 people in front of me at 20 to 8am. I had to empty my backpack and leave it on the post up the street. Couldn't leave it near the consulate outside. Apparently the school across the street will hold your bag if it is too big to take in. Purses of average size are okay but nothing larger.

Had to show passport and Loomis courier letter at the front door, then stand in line to get in. One or two at a time through security. Empty all documents, personal items into bins, empty coat pockets, just like at airport.

Go through metal detector. Security guard went through my puse, took out my cellphone, iPod, lip balm and dental floss. Kept them and gave me a ticket to pick up later. Took bin with all items downstairs and emptied bin.

Got into elevator and went to the 19th floor. There were about 20 people in front of me but because I was doing immigration visa receptionist called anyone doing immigration to come forward. She looked at my Loomis letter and passport and gave me a ticket with number A3. I was first. About 15 minutes later I was called to a window where my documents and passport were handed in and my fingerprints taken. The woman was very nice. I was then told to have seat and they would either call my number or my name. About 40 minutes later they called my number and I went to a little room and was asked, how long I had been married, if we had any children between us of our own, this is second marriage for both. He confirmed income and said we were a textbook case and wished everyone's case was this simple.

Bottom line, be patient, check and double check paperwork is complete and signed. Use electronic processing if you can and it should all go smoothly.

Big thanks to Saylin and others for posts. It really helped.

Have updated timeline to reflect and once passport arrives I will update it again

Good luck to all.

Hi fridaynitewine,

Thanks for the informative post. I'm also applying from Canada as my wife and I are both here, and my I-130 was recently approved on March 7th, 2014. We have US bank accounts and a affidavit from her parents that we'll be living with them, and if necessary she'll fly down and reinstate her North Carolina drivers lisense to prove domicile. We've been married 11 years, so hope ours is another text book case just like yours was.

Timeline

Hi fridaynitewine,

Thanks for the informative post. I'm also applying from Canada as my wife and I are both here, and my I-130 was recently approved on March 7th, 2014. We have US bank accounts and a affidavit from her parents that we'll be living with them, and if necessary she'll fly down and reinstate her North Carolina drivers lisense to prove domicile. We've been married 11 years, so hope ours is another text book case just like yours was.

Best of luck, it 's the waiting that is the biggest pain. At least when my husband applied for residence in Canada after we were married he was allowed to live with me while it was in process.

They also told me the other day to expect about 3 hours at the border for processing when I go. Not planning to do that for a couple more months, have a few things to settle here first.

Again, good luck!

Timeline

Best of luck, it 's the waiting that is the biggest pain. At least when my husband applied for residence in Canada after we were married he was allowed to live with me while it was in process.

They also told me the other day to expect about 3 hours at the border for processing when I go. Not planning to do that for a couple more months, have a few things to settle here first.

Again, good luck!

Sounds like we are in a similar situation as you. Were you and your husband both in Canada when you applied? If so, was there any issue proving domicile, or intended domicile for your husband? We married back in 2002 and chose to come to Canada because of my job and pension, with the intent to move to North Carolina upon my retirement. We will have things to settle here too upon getting my US residency, and plan on the big permanent move the end of June, 2015. I was told by US immigration that as long as I enter the USA once a year my green card will stay valid.

Thanks again and congrats on your success!

Timeline

Sounds like we are in a similar situation as you. Were you and your husband both in Canada when you applied? If so, was there any issue proving domicile, or intended domicile for your husband? We married back in 2002 and chose to come to Canada because of my job and pension, with the intent to move to North Carolina upon my retirement. We will have things to settle here too upon getting my US residency, and plan on the big permanent move the end of June, 2015. I was told by US immigration that as long as I enter the USA once a year my green card will stay valid.

Thanks again and congrats on your success!

No, hubby had returned to the US when we applied. He still has his PR card but doesn't use it or any of Canada's benefits including my health care plan. For tax purposes he is a deemed non- resident. When he comes to visit he comes in with his US passport.

I haven't even tried to go to the US while the process is in place, much easier that way.

He can come and go though.

Enjoy your retirement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.