Captain Ewok

IMBRA forum closure? Feedback

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

It was always the plan to close this forum once the IMBRA issue had calmed down some. Can everyone tell me if they think that time has come?

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

I think it's a little too soon. There are still a number of people using this site for insight on applying for waivers. I understand that this is not as hot as before, but it will still be an issue for a number of people. Perhaps we can find a way to include it with other thorny issues in the immigration process.

I have copied a couple of the waivers that members submitted to help others formulate a method for the request. Maybe we can set up something like that and have it as a separate issue under the guides. It is pretty obvious by the successes of members that the strict conditions listed by USCIS in their interpretations are being overcome by other well worded requests.

I hope more members will sound off about their feelings on this topic.

Questions concering IMBRA would more likely to be noticed in the K-1 forum. a thread could be pinned there with general info about it.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I found this topic very useful and when I visit VisaJourney it is always one of my three stopping points. (K-1 and Regional are the other two)

I was dealing with needing to apply for a waver with my K-1 and the samples here were much easier to find. I do think it could be part of the waver topic but the heading should be changed to note that if this forum is closed.

I hope it stays for a while.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The IMBRA Special topics were very helpful to me a few days ago.

May 19, 2006 - Mailed I-129 to NSC (from Nigeria)

June 5, 2006 - NSC received application

June 9, 2006 - Check cleared

June 23, 2006 - USCIS sent RFE

August 4, 2007 - Called USCIS for receipt #

August 14, 2007 - Cousin forwarded RFE

August 21, 2007 - Received RFE from Cousin

August 22, 2007 - Mailed back RFE to CSC - from Nigeria

Received no acknowledgment of receipt of RFE. Mail may have been lost or stolen. Called USCIS twice and they could not confirm receipt.

September 25, 2006 - Case was closed (RFE not received)

November 24, 2006 - Called CSC (Case re-opened, IMBRA RFE to be re-sent)

December 1, 2006 - CSC resends IMBRA RFE to USA address

December 11, 2006 - Had IMBRA RFE couriered from USA

December 28, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE in Africa (severely delayed by holiday season)

January 6, 2007 - Mailed back IMBRA RFE

January 16, 2007 - Touched (CSC acknowledges receipt of RFE)

January 23, 2007 - NOA2 sent

July 17, 2007 - Scheduled Interview date

September 21, 2007 - Submitted I-601 waiver application

Filed: Timeline

Captain Ewok,

I think the forum should remain. The unique issues of answering the relevant questions and, when required, requesting a waiver with the I-129f will be ongoing, as will the issue of disclosure to the alien fiance(e) either before or at the visa interview.

Yodrak

It was always the plan to close this forum once the IMBRA issue had calmed down some. Can everyone tell me if they think that time has come?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Captain Ewok,

I think the forum should remain. The unique issues of answering the relevant questions and, when required, requesting a waiver with the I-129f will be ongoing, as will the issue of disclosure to the alien fiance(e) either before or at the visa interview.

Yodrak

This issue will come up again I'm sure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Captain Ewok,

I generally check this particular topic several times per week and it has been instrumental to getting some very basic questions answered. I am about to file (in the next 2 weeks) and I know of one other person filing this month and we'll both be going with waivers.

If possible, I would love to see this topic remain as is.

best,

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

What about making this a subforum of the K1 forum?.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only provision of IMBRA exclusive to K-1 vs. K-3 is the multiple petition filings component. Some forget that K-3's are not excluded (though some might argue that point).

YMMV

A subforum sounds great. Especially as related to K-1 visas. Those filing for fiance(ee) visas need to be aware of IMBRA and should have some examples of waivers that have been used successfully. As time goes along, this issue is going to evolve into something different. Since it is still very new, the USCIS is likely approving almost any waiver, but it would be useful to know under which conditions they have rejected the waiver.

That sounds like an awful lot to be under a subforum, but I'm sure you will find a way to make it work. You can always restore this forum if issues become to great for a subforum. After all, our congress is liable to do almost anything to screw up an already slow and difficult process.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The only provision of IMBRA exclusive to K-1 vs. K-3 is the multiple petition filings component. Some forget that K-3's are not excluded (though some might argue that point).

I definitely agree with you. While the filing limitations are only applicable to the K1, the rest of IMBRA applies to the K3 as well.

Even though the rush about IMBRA has died down quite a bit, I feel it is still important to have this information available for those not familiar with IMBRA who may be affected by it. This is also a process the USCIS is still new at, there may be issues that arise for specific cases where the information already gathered in this forum will also be of some help. There is also the instance of when this can become an issue during the interview process with the DOS, which I think we will be seeing more of in the very near future.

I would not be apposed to a subforum, only it does need to be in a place for those filing K3s can find it as well as those filing K1s. Maybe this is something that could be placed in the USCIS and Department of State Offices section. Any other member thoughts on this?

(F) ~Kiyah~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It seems like there's quite a large volume of issues dealt with here. To me, I think it may be too much as a 'pinned' thread in K-1. I check in here because I think we need a waiver to file our I-129F too. I almost referred a poster in K-1 to this forum for the OP's waiver question a minute ago.

Would the posts here be archived and searchable if this forum is removed, or changed to a 'waivers' forum?

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.