RosscoPeecho

Packet 3 Help

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not correct. As long as she has worked her 40 Quarters or 10 years she can collect SS benefits. The main restriction with not being a citizen, is if she is not living in the US, they will only pay here 1/2 of what she is entitled to, if living in the US, she gets 100%, provided she qualified. This goes for spousal death benefits also. I believe you have to be married 9 months before she qualifies to receive your benefits.

Where did you find that? I read something stating only a USC can collect. But, of course I can;t lay my hands on it now.

Timeline

Where did you find that? I read something stating only a USC can collect. But, of course I can;t lay my hands on it now.

I did this research several years ago, however I just did a quick look on the SSA site:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/

And you can get the information. Just reading through it, I did not remember the 50% part correctly it is 50% of your time must be in the USA, to collect the full benefit as a PR. Not collecting 50% of the benefit. Sorry for the mis-information. There are eligibility requirements.

Timeline

Hey guys so I did what you guys advised and sent no originals accept for the documents that needed signatures. (DS-2001 and i-134).

It was accepted and I already got an interview date of April 9.

Is this some sort of record because my NOA1 was January 25. Nonetheless pretty quick.

My concern now lies with the Police Certificate. There's a chance it won't be available for us until after that interview date.

Anyone have any experience with this happening and a suggestion on what I should do?

Timeline

Not long ago but since the packet 3 came so fast we were scrambling a bit and had to go to her home for the paper that guaranteed she could marry.

They told us 20 April or something like that and then we sent the packet and now we have an interview so soon. I suppose this is a dumb problem since some people wait so long but the speed is incredible here.

My fiancé did say there was actually a woman at the police center who already had her k-1 and was just then getting her certificate for the embassy. That was a little confusing.

I can always email the embassy since they've replied quite quickly to my last 2 email enquiries.

Timeline

if you don't have the police certificate at time of interview you will be issued a 221-g for the reason of missing document with instructions to submit the document asap (with passport if they don't retain it).

Timeline

Just this last week. I'm guessing the new year is a big reason for them to go slow. I believe my girlfriend just paid the fee they asked even tho I told her she should try to pay more to "expedited" service.

She's gonna call them and hopefully figure something out. 4 weeks for a certificate tho? She was told 2 on the phone.

Timeline

Hrm, we requested our police packet back in March and received it within the week. There's a whole shakedown operation going on there, but if you paid the "fee" in the toilet, or whatever kind of silly thing they have going on.

I was speaking to my fiancee about this, and she said to call as you mentioned to follow up.

Our interview is the 4th.

Good luck!

Edited by Thane

-Jan 24th, 2014 sent in I-129F

-Jan 31ist, 2014 received NOA1 via text/email. Arrived at CSC

-Feb 4th, 2014 received Alien registration number.

-Feb 24th, 2014 received NOA2

-Mar 12, 2014 Arrived at Embassy

-Mar 20, 2014 Packet 3 sent to Embassy

-Mar 28, 2014 Received packet 3 instructions in mail

-Mar 25, 2014 Interview date set

-Apr 4, 2014 Interview.. approved :dancing:

-May 21, 2014 - PoE LV NV

-May 30, 2014 - Married

Timeline

They don't want to answer apparently so we're heading down there again tomorrow. Like I said maybe the holiday warrants lazy clearance checks. Nonethless I'm a bit tired of that kind of attitude here.

Good luck to you too.

Timeline

They don't want to answer apparently so we're heading down there again tomorrow. Like I said maybe the holiday warrants lazy clearance checks. Nonethless I'm a bit tired of that kind of attitude here.

Good luck to you too.

Sorry, but are you new to Thailand? Nothing moves quickly, unless you grease the wheels a bit. I wonder if you could file a fresh request and pay for "expedited" service. Maybe Karee or Ning have a thought on that approach.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife never directly dealt with obtaining the police certificate. She didn't want to make the 10 hour each way bus ride from Chiang Mai to get it. We paid some lawyer 5k baht in Chiang Mai to get it for her.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Getting there from inside Bangkok feels like a 10 hour journey half the time anyways so I can understand you but 5k seems heavy.

Here's an update tho. We went there today and he said that this situation happens a lot for people and then he explained the process to my girlfriend for what happens. Something like: she goes to the interview, brings the receipt thing thing from the police and then they'll give her the notice for evidence and we'll have to go back, get the certificate, and send it to the embassy or something. I'll reply again after this actually happens, assuming all goes well with the interview.

He also said it wouldn't have mattered even if we went there days earlier. Almost as if they already decided they were gonna be finished AFTER Songkran. Even tho the previous week they said 2 weeks when we called. Oh well I guess. Just a bit frustrating but almost foreseeable that something out of our own control would trip us up a bit.

I just finished college and this whole process has been more work than some of my classes.

Thanks again.

Timeline

Getting there from inside Bangkok feels like a 10 hour journey half the time anyways so I can understand you but 5k seems heavy.

Here's an update tho. We went there today and he said that this situation happens a lot for people and then he explained the process to my girlfriend for what happens. Something like: she goes to the interview, brings the receipt thing thing from the police and then they'll give her the notice for evidence and we'll have to go back, get the certificate, and send it to the embassy or something. I'll reply again after this actually happens, assuming all goes well with the interview.

He also said it wouldn't have mattered even if we went there days earlier. Almost as if they already decided they were gonna be finished AFTER Songkran. Even tho the previous week they said 2 weeks when we called. Oh well I guess. Just a bit frustrating but almost foreseeable that something out of our own control would trip us up a bit.

I just finished college and this whole process has been more work than some of my classes.

Thanks again.

Your work is just beginning my friend. But, it will be fun.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.