AboveBeyond

Short Relationship duration?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Does anyone know if a short relationship duration will have a negative impact for applying for K1? I'm began talk to my fiance beganing Feb 1st through Skype (every weekend) and text messages (daily) and plan on going to Cambodia for 2 weeks (in May) to see her and have a engagement ceremony. I plan on filing shortly thereafter in June for the K1 visa. Would the span of 4 months (Feb, Mar, Apr, May) be suffiient to obstain a visa? Is a longer better and is there a "sweet spot"?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

There is no formula or set duration in proving a genuine relationship for visa/immigration purposes. It depends on the case and your circumstances, but that being said-- it is certainly helpful to have a longer relationship timeline before you start the process. You can avoid the presumption of engagement/marriage for visa purposes if you wait longer and collate more evidence. It also helps if you've met a few times in person prior to filing your application. Assume that they will scrutinize your relationship (how you met, fell in love, meeting friends-family, what you have in common, etc.) and put every aspect of it to light. They will consider a quick engagement a red flag and possibly deny your application. Others have been denied for less than that. Be prepared before submitting your papers because the process is not easy nor cheap.

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

I met my fiance on april 27- 2013, and my fiance fill out my petition on june 7 -2013.( one month and 10 days later ,that we met). he came back to visit me again on september. My fiance made a mistake at the petition and on september we got an intent to deny letter, my fiance answered on october 12 , we had more evidence with his second trip, they got the reponse on october 16.

we were approved on october 23.

My interview is on march 18.

My relation was short at the moment that my fiance sent the patitiont.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mine was short too.. Pretty much we decided to get married as soon as we decided to be a couple which was only a few weeks after we met.. Sure, I'm afraid it doesn't look the best, but I know my relationship is valid and just hope that they can see that..

11/27/2013 - NOA1

12/12/2013 - ARN Change

03/18/2014 - RFE sent (no email notice or update online!)

03/29/2014 - RFE notice received in the mail

03/31/2014 - RFE response overnighted

04/08/2014 - NOA2! Hooray!!! (132 days)

04/11/2014 - Post Decision Activity: Forwarded to Department of State (NVC)

04/12/2014 - Received NOA2 hardcopy. Fancy!

04/23/2014 - NVC Received

04/28/2014 - NVC forwarded to consulate. GAME ON!

05/19/2014 - Interview date received via email (by request)

06/10/2014 - Interview - Approved, but... in ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING due to incompetence

07/17/2014 - My Congressman's office sends an inquiry on our behalf

07/18/2014 - VISA SUPPOSEDLY ISSUED & MAILED!! Status reads "Ready" but was mailed per email to Congressman's office

07/28/2014 - COMPUTER GLITCH. Still waiting for visa.

08/04/2014 - ISSUED!

08/07/2014 - Visa received!!!!!!!!!!!

08/12/2014 - US ENTRY!!!!!!!

08/13/2014 - Applied for SSN

08/19/2014 - Received Social Security Card

08/22/2014 - Obtained Marriage License

09/08/2014 - We are married!

09/18/2014 - Filed I-485 & I-765

09/26/2014 - NOA 1 / I-485 & I-765

10/23/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11/07/2014 - EAD card ordered to be produced
11/17/2014 - Employment Authorization card received!
02/18/2015 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case received
07/03/2015 - Notice of Permanent Residency Approval / Welcome Notice received! (Issued 06/27/2015)
02/03/2016 - Got him out of my house.
05/27/2016 - Divorce finalized.

Ours is also short. We met in October and filed in February. We're still waiting for the NOA2, and am hopeful that all our proof of a bona fide relationship convinces them that even though a short courtship, when you know, you know. :)

Tina

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

USCIS cares only that you met in person once within the 2 years before filing. Beware, and do not ever underestimate, the consular phase.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

They don't care if you just met them only once face to face while walking down the street, Just as long as you provide evidence of having met face to face in the previous two years. But, if you hope for approval later, it's a good idea to provide evidence that you keep in touch.

Edited by ExExpat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

There is no universal rule to relationships and their success. Our love story began the same as yours, we met on Valentine's Day 2013, filed two months later in April, got K-1 in September, got married in November and expecting a baby since December :) Fast span within 10 months ha? But we are happy and there was absolutely no problem with USCIS, consulate, or any other institution....Good luck!!!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

It doesn't matter, really, for most consulates. I do think it's better for YOU, to get to know each other, with a lot of time, so you can be sure whether you want to petition for this person and be on the hook for them for a very long time. However, in terms of the visa process, no.

Filed: Other Timeline

It doesn't matter, really, for most consulates. I do think it's better for YOU, to get to know each other, with a lot of time, so you can be sure whether you want to petition for this person and be on the hook for them for a very long time. However, in terms of the visa process, no.

What's important to remember is that when you first mail the petition to the USCIS it will be adjudicated with an up or down vote. Both the beneficiary and petitioner must meet the requirements for filing, which include having met at least once in the previous two years. This is the USCIS level, and not the consulate.

Later, after the petition is approved, is will be passed along to the NVC for further processing, and finally to the consulate. At the consulate the VO will make an assessment as to whether or not the relationship is bonafide. This will require evidence of continuing communication of some sort of relationship that brings you to the point of wanting to marry. I don't think love is a factor or not, as long as you seem to like each other enough to marry.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by ExExpat

I'm glad it's not a disqualifying factor & hopefully no reason to generate a RFE, as I just met my Fiancee in October online, just met her in person last month & just filed I-129F 3 days ago. Just like 'Tina and Johan' said above, "when you know, you know." There is no doubt in our hearts & minds that we want this with everything we have, even with this short time frame.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As mentioned above it is at the consular stage that relationships are scrutinised so a short duration 'courtship' will not be denied at the USCIS stage. Document and retain everything and refer to your country specific forum and consulate reviews for information others included and when in the process it should be submittted. Pay particular attention to how that consulate views relationships which began online as some countries have a cottage industry of young women who 'play' games with foreign men hoping for support and/or rescue. Pay attention to any mentions about how the consulate views money transfers (particulatly prior to formal engagement).

We met on February 5th and filed April 13 and got through to a conditional green card in hand a year and a day since we first met. That said we had a few weeks together (including an international trip during which we got engaged) before filing, an engagement ceremony on yet another trip, and me waiting outside of the consulate during the interview. Needless to say we had phone records, emails, and lots of lovely photos. Also helpful was our relative maturity (43/63) and Jamnan's presence and poise at the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just a reminder to obtain all required documents and original signatures during your visit (birth cerificate and letter of intent). Remember to check for consular specific documents (e.g. which police agency, single certificate, etc.) so you have your checklist ready for packet three and four.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm a little weary at the moment because it's the consulate in Cambodia which is a country that is deemed a high risk for fraud. I went to a lawyer's office that specializes in Cambodian K-1 and saw the approval rate going from 96% in 2007 (1340 processed cases) to 63% in 2013 (361 processed cases).

My evidence that I have so far are:

• Daily text messages - we usually talk for an hour from 9am to 10am
  • Skype - we skype every Saturday and Sunday for an hour a day

I plan on sending her a post card and a stuff animal to her. Hopefully these will help for evidence.

And finally, I plan on having a engagment ceremony with lots pictures along with pictures of us being doing other activities together when I visit her for 2 weeks in May.

I can't say i'm very confident due to the plummeting approval rate and thinking about steps to take if it does get denied. dry.png

Edited by AboveBeyond

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

As others have said. getting your I-129 approved only requires having met in person once in the previous two years. But the consulate stage is very different. There you need to prove a real and honest relationship.

You should post at your local portal and get to know the folks there. They will provide you with the local requirements. Have fun, it's a long ride.

http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Cambodia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.