jordanianprincess

Honor Killings

Honor Killings  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have pre-marital relations with your Husband/Are you having pre-marital relations with your fiance?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Does your husband/fiance feel that honor killings are justified by the acts or suspected actions of the victim?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. What would he do if he found out his daughter/sister was having relations with a man? (without you interviening)

• Kill her
    • Disown her
    • Put her on a plane and send her to his home country
    • Forgive her after some time
    • Nothing - Please explain
    • N/A

442 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I read the Jordan Times and every now and then a story will pop up about honor killings. Most of the times when someone is killed. The person or persons who did it will go right down to the police station and confess.

The victim is usually buried in an unmarked grave with no coffin. There is no service, no period of morning. It is absoulutly disgraceful and sick. As much as I love my country, I hate the fact they condone such behavior.

They have put systems in place to help women who feel they are in danger of being killed but it is just as ridiculous as the crime itself. They allow the girl to check into prison to remain "safe" from her family, but she can't ever check herself out. There are however other organizations that truly do help women in need but they are rare.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
See thats one of the things that concerns me. If I met a man from another country and I was planning on going there then I would do as much research about the country as possible. The info is not hidden, its out there. There are alot of watch dog groups that monitor this stuff. I am happy that I have brought awareness of the subject to our group but concerned over some of the answers I have seen so far including the votes.

I think it was a really important topic to bring up. I hope that people who are in the beginning stages of their relationship and don't know their SO all that well will consider discussing it. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
I read the Jordan Times and every now and then a story will pop up about honor killings. Most of the times when someone is killed. The person or persons who did it will go right down to the police station and confess.

The victim is usually buried in an unmarked grave with no coffin. There is no service, no period of morning. It is absoulutly disgraceful and sick. As much as I love my country, I hate the fact they condone such behavior.

They have put systems in place to help women who feel they are in danger of being killed but it is just as ridiculous as the crime itself. They allow the girl to check into prison to remain "safe" from her family, but she can't ever check herself out. There are however other organizations that truly do help women in need but they are rare.

I like jordan too, but i don't like the judicial system where they only get put in prison for so many years if even that. Also the revenge killing between families there. Some of the men from a family would be put in jail for there protection until a truce can be made.

Filed: Other Timeline

when I think about embracing and accepting an SOs culture, this ain't one of the things I include. I am still out of my mind with the answers to the poll.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline
when I think about embracing and accepting an SOs culture, this ain't one of the things I include. I am still out of my mind with the answers to the poll.

Me too.

An I know I brought it up before, but I'm still a bit puzzled. Yes, this may happen in the U.S., but why would a man want to come to the U.S. and possibly raise a family here knowing that the chances are so much higher of having a daughter who has premarital relations?

Timeline

I don't embrace or accept this in my culture.

I like jordan too, but i don't like the judicial system where they only get put in prison for so many years if even that. Also the revenge killing between families there. Some of the men from a family would be put in jail for there protection until a truce can be made.

Year?!??! Its actually months if even that! :angry:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

Me too.

An I know I brought it up before, but I'm still a bit puzzled. Yes, this may happen in the U.S., but why would a man want to come to the U.S. and possibly raise a family here knowing that the chances are so much higher of having a daughter who has premarital relations?

They think they have the ultimate solution. Move here, make alot of money (because it grows on trees), and when the daughter gets to the age where she could start having relations they say they will move back home. Now in reality many people that say this change as they get used to life here. Not all of them do, but for the most part they leave alot of their customs behind especially if there is no one to hold them to it.

Growing up, my father had a temper. He never hit us or anything but he would yell alot. I'm almost 100% certain that given the time he grew and the area he is from in Jordan that honor killings were tolerated and enforced at that time.

When he came to America, he left all that ####### behind. Like I said many people will say it, just to "fit in" but most won't do it. My dad is westernized now, but not completly. He has held on the values and customs he felt are important and that best respresent out country and he has gotten rid of all the trash.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

I don't embrace or accept this in my culture.

Year?!??! Its actually months if even that! :angry:

ok ok..months!!!!! :blush:

and I don't accept or embrace this as a part of my husband's culture also.

Jacque.....I can tell u one thing ive learned since being married to sofyan....whenever i make an example of something....i should NEVER use one person in his family as the example...he has made that clear...maybe thats why Moh freaked...

on the subject...sofyan and i have talked about it before, not to an extent, but i do know he would never take the life of his own daughter or sister, but i do know he would disown her.....sofyan and i discuss what will happen once we have children and they are old enough where society may get the best of them here, and we both agree its all about the parenting....and i see it everyday....the kids whose parents talk but dont enforce, and those who talk and enforce...i can speak for the 5 muslim girls i work with, ages 18-25, all unmarried, and virgins, and they all say they will wait for marriage, they all grew up in american culture, but, never lost touch with their muslim-arab culture, and i pray, sofyan and i can be the best parents and guide our future children down the right path

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Timeline
I can tell u one thing ive learned since being married to sofyan....whenever i make an example of something....i should NEVER use one person in his family as the example...he has made that clear...

Why do you think that is? I would think that making it personal would allow for a more honest and specific discussion, rather than just speaking generally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
and all this time i was thinking you had some capoeira trick to tell me about :(

But you can scare them away with some strong macumba...

:unsure: nessa just translated that for me.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

jenn,

i think, or maybe im assuming, arabian people dont use families as examples because they have like an old tale that it will happen to the person.

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I can tell u one thing ive learned since being married to sofyan....whenever i make an example of something....i should NEVER use one person in his family as the example...he has made that clear...

Why do you think that is? I would think that making it personal would allow for a more honest and specific discussion, rather than just speaking generally.

I was wondering the same thing!

Timeline
jenn,

i think, or maybe im assuming, arabian people dont use families as examples because they have like an old tale that it will happen to the person.

Oh I see. That makes sense.

I was always nervous when my friends would use death in their family as an excuse to not take an exam or something.

I mean honestly, like if i was speaking to someone and said, "lets say your dad dies from cancer tomorrow..."

wouldnt it kinda make u worried>?

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.