jordanianprincess

Honor Killings

Honor Killings  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have pre-marital relations with your Husband/Are you having pre-marital relations with your fiance?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Does your husband/fiance feel that honor killings are justified by the acts or suspected actions of the victim?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. What would he do if he found out his daughter/sister was having relations with a man? (without you interviening)

• Kill her
    • Disown her
    • Put her on a plane and send her to his home country
    • Forgive her after some time
    • Nothing - Please explain
    • N/A

442 posts in this topic

I'm hoping that they think their husbands are just all bark and no bite, and therefore it will be a non-issue. Still, IMO, that's an awful big gamble to take, and I know I couldn't handle it.

It's not unusual for people to justify the words, beliefs and actions of their SO, but how someone can justify talk like this is beyond me.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
another interesting similarity is that in Albanian, to my understanding, every relationship within the family has its own word, unlike English, where the same word is used, aunt, for instance, for your father's sister, your mother's sister, your uncle's wife. In Albanian, all those relationships have their own word, and so one's Uncle is just the brothers of your father, not the brothers of your mother or the husbands of your aunts, etc. It defines a status within the family...

India is the same way. A younger person never refers to an elder by his/her name. Even a wife can not address her husband with his name (this isn't as true these days as it was 2-3 generations ago). Everyone has a 'title'. If my dad had three brothers, each of them would have a title I would have to address them by, going by their age respective to my fathers age. It's very complicated and used to confuse me a lot as a child. My parents tried to get me to learn all the titles when I was young because my grandmother wanted us to but I just never could remember them all. Right now I call them what I want, I keep it respectful (so no names) but I mangle the titles. Except my older cousins, I call them by their names even though I am not supposed to. I should add that my family in India is more traditional than most in all matters except religion (it is oddly dominated by athiests who miss Communism... I never did figure that out).

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

I wonder, our word for "tea" came from India, could our word for "living room" also be from there?

Maybe. The world is much more intertwined than we realize. Heck, I just read about archaeologists finding a Vishnu (a Hindu god) statue in the Volga region of Russia...

Why is this only a MENA poll?

There are countless cases of honor killings in the north of Brazil, all for similar reasons discussed here.

:(

Nevermind....

If I were going to make a guess what was in JP's mind, I would say she was interested in hearing what the mindset was for those here involved in ME/NA relationships because she knows it's not just a ME/NA practice.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
It is also not uncommon to hear MENA men talking to other MENA men about how they would not think twice about commiting an honor killing if their wife/sister/daugter did such a thing. However if a MENA man were to say that he would not commit a honor killing, he would be considered a coward by other men. There is alot of pressure on them from their friends, families, and peers as well. They may agree to carry out an honor killing because if they don't, they could be killed for refusing to do it.

Not MENA but reading out of out right curosity. This is the sort of comment that honestly makes me shake my head. Not at J.P. but at the mentality she's describing. Parents should, and most I know would, lay down their own life to save their child's in an instant. Without a thought. SO I think in this culture, or at least the culture I was raised in, a man would be considered a coward if he killed his child to save his own life...

I shake my head at it as well. The reason I started this poll is because I wanted to see how many people still think this way. I find disturnbing that people still think this way in this day and age. People live by these age old customs because they are under so much presurre to do so. They don't learn from history or their mistakes.

Now to be fair, MENA families are some of the most protective I know. The ironic thing is they will lay down their own life to save the life of a family member UNLESS you have shamed them which is the WORST thing you can do. I know its kinda hard to comprehend but its just the way life is there. When it comes to these age old customs and its not just in MENA, its kill or be killed.

There are countless cases of honor killings in the north of Brazil, all for similar reasons discussed here.

I am just trying to get a feel for how many MENA people still buy into this load of bull.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I wonder, our word for "tea" came from India, could our word for "living room" also be from there?

Maybe. The world is much more intertwined than we realize. Heck, I just read about archaeologists finding a Vishnu (a Hindu god) statue in the Volga region of Russia...

Interesting fact: scientists say that the languages spoken by native Brazilians in the 14th century might have been influenced by antient Phoenician. How did the Phoenicians get here? No one knows...

ETA: It is just a theory and a fun fact. No one proved that...

Edited by Reynaldo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am just trying to get a feel for how many MENA people still buy into this load of bull.

I see... But the results aren't that good...

If the majority of people believe that is ok, doesn't that stop being BS???

Interesting fact: scientists say that the languages spoken by native Brazilians in the 14th century might have been influenced by antient Phoenician. How did the Phoenicians get here? No one knows...

There's an ancient Hindu legend which scientists repudiate but many people of faith in India still believe is true - the legend of the pushpak vimaan. Basically, an airplane in ancient times. The legend goes at the beginning of the advent of the age of evil (kaliyug) there was an invasion by barbarians (modern day revisionists like to say the allusion is to Alexander or the Muslims, but the legend is much older so I doubt it) and the Hindu brahmins (the keepers of wisdom) destroyed anything that would help them. This included the pushpak vimaan.

Maybe that's how the Phoenicians got there.

Or maybe we're all descended from the same alien source :alien:

I am still hoping that some of the votes are fake :blink:

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Timeline

You would think so. I'm pretty sure the votes are not fake. Maybe you don't see the results as being good, but I see them as being very imformative. There are at least 3-4 voters that have no issue having pre-marital relations but have been programmed to kill their sisiter or daughter if she did the same. Its all a double standard. I hear men spew out this ####### all the time however I don't know how many them would actually do it if they were put to the test. There are probebly alot of women who are hoping that their men are blowing off steam when they make these statements and some of them probebly are.

People tend to make statements like that all the time, "if you do this Im gonna kill you". Most people don't mean it, some actually do.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline
People tend to make statements like that all the time, "if you do this Im gonna kill you". Most people don't mean it, some actually do.

But that isn't right either, is it?

I never said it was, but you can't deny the fact that it happens.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.