jordanianprincess

Honor Killings

Honor Killings  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have pre-marital relations with your Husband/Are you having pre-marital relations with your fiance?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Does your husband/fiance feel that honor killings are justified by the acts or suspected actions of the victim?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. What would he do if he found out his daughter/sister was having relations with a man? (without you interviening)

• Kill her
    • Disown her
    • Put her on a plane and send her to his home country
    • Forgive her after some time
    • Nothing - Please explain
    • N/A

442 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Although there are many of you that would like to believe that things like honor killings don't happen anymore in the Middle East, they still do until this day. They are not as common as they once were due to stricter laws and publicity, but they do happen. Most of the time, suspicion is enough for the family members to carry out this horrendous act against their wives, daughters, and sisters. There is a mentalily that goes along with this that is something I don't quite understand. I wanted to get a feel for what others think and what your SO's think. I would like to request that only MENA couples answer the questions in the polling to keep it more accurate, however anyone and everyone is free to join the discussion on the board. If you are a non-mena couple and would like to view the results of the poll, please vote for Not Applicable.

Men are not immune to this as well. If a father were to find out that his daughter was having premarital relations with a man, then that man would be next on his list and it would be upheld in religious courts as an honor killing if the autopsy reports came back indicating that his daughter was not a virgin. With this in mind, I wonder why so many men who accept this old custom of honor killings in their family and at the same time, they turn their cheek and doing the same intimate acts with someone else's daughter or sister that they would be willing to kill someone else for.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I had a discussion about this while I was in Egypt. Within the discussion he told me that if his sisters were to "** around" his father would have them killed without question. He agreed with this notion. My answer to the last question was that he'd put them on a plane to his home country. I'm sure his family wouldn't do anything on American soil. Now I don't know how serious he was but he seemed serious.

I used to know a group of Yemeni guys when I was younger. This story was widely known within the group. A younger kid who the group knew had a sister. This sister was having a relationship with a young black man from the neighborhood. The family owned a party store in which the sister worked occasionally. After the family found out about her indecent behavior they staged a robbery and killed her. As far as I know they got away with it. I can't say that I know this story is 100% true but I believe it could and did happen.

Oh my, I'm wondering if some of these votes so far are fakes...

I would hope so- I would hate to think anyone would marry a man who could justify the murder of his own family.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would hope so- I would hate to think anyone would marry a man who could justify the murder of his own family.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that such a man would want to come and live in the U.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I had to call my husband about this one. He said that he would sit and talk to his daughter and find out the answers, but he would love her too much to not forgive her. He said that the honor killings are bad and not right in these years. One of the reasons we had our Islamic marriage before our official wedding was because we didn't want to have the guilt or shame of having relations outside of marriage when we knew we would get married.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that such a man would want to come and live in the U.S.

You would be surprised. I know many Arabs, some that have lived here for decades that still abide by these centuries old customs.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

There have been several honor killings in recent years in the US, and not just be Arabs. In fact, honor killings were legal in this country until quite recently, but only for men to commit against their wives. I'll look up more info on that and come back.

Timeline
There have been several honor killings in recent years in the US, and not just be Arabs. In fact, honor killings were legal in this country until quite recently, but only for men to commit against their wives. I'll look up more info on that and come back.

That would be great. I definitly agree, this is not limited to Arabs at all.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline
I would venture to guess that at least 90% of men from the MENA would agree with idea of honor killings. At least the ones who haven't lived in the West for long or at all.

Well I don't know about 90%. I do think the number is high but maybe not that high. I wonder how many of them believe in the idea of honor killings but would not be able to actually carry one out?

My fiance would be devastated, crushed, and heartbroken if his daughter has done such a thing. He would never have the heart to kill her, but he would disown her and maybe after sometime, he might forgive her.

My family is Christian as most of you know and my cousin who was born and raised and in the US met an arabic girl in High School, they liked each and fell in love. They had pre-marital sex and by the age of 17 she got pregnant. To complicate matters even more, she is Muslim. Her family disowned her. She is happily married now to my cousin, has 2 girls and has not spoken to her family in 6 years. Her mother tries to speak to her secretly sometimes without her father knowing.

What saved her is the fact that she lives here in the US, has she been in the Middle East, she most likely would have been killed.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I would venture to guess that at least 90% of men from the MENA would agree with idea of honor killings. At least the ones who haven't lived in the West for long or at all.

90% of men in the entire MENA region? I seriously doubt it. I can see it being much more predominate in some areas and among certain socio-economic groups, but not 90% as a whole. Too many Berbers in NA to make it be that high.

ETA: I think JP is right when she says some might tolerate the idea, but would never engage it themselves

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is an interesting topic.

I don't know if Hicham's Dad would kill his daughter if he knew she had a boyfriend but I highly doubt it because his family is very open and non traditional.

His sister had a boyfriend for 2 years and although she never directly told her dad about it I think he had some idea about it. Hicham knew about it too.

Do you guys know girls in MENA who date but who don't tell their Dad?

Hicham's cousin dated a guy for 6 years and her Dad never knew although she did tell her Mom about it and she was ok with it. I don't think they had sex before their marriage though. (although I have no way of knowing that luckily)

JP when you say relations do you mean having sex or seeing a man and dating him without the family knowing?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.