irl

Experience calling USCIS about case status and processing times for I-751

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a late September filer, called USCIS today because I don't have any updates on my case for more than 5 months. I asked to speak to tier 2 and the lady told me that the normal processing time for I-751 cases is 1 year and that I even can't ask about a service request before my 1 year extension letter (NOA1) expires. I was really surprised to hear that as the uscis website indicates that the normal processing time is 6 months. When I politely asked her about the website info and said that I even know a few people who had submitted their cases later than I did and had already been approved, she told me that there must be a mistake in the website and all my info is wrong and that I should not argue (which I actually did not) and advised to wait.

Now I have a few questions to you guys:

1. What is the normal processing time for I-751? Can we rely on the info from their website?

2. Can I submit a service request if there is no info about my case for more than 6 months?

3. What was your experience talking to tier 2 officers?

Thanks. Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hello!

I would call back again and get a different person. And when you do, don't even bring up what other people's experiences are because that's the reaction you get.

To answer your questions:

1) Normal processing time per USCIS is currently "6 months" and this is based on the current average process time for I-751 - 6 months can change to 9 months if the current average processing time is 9 months etc. Now, USCIS gives you the allowance to follow-up if you don't hear back after 6 months - I don't think anyone should argue that as it's documented so I don't understand why some Tier 2 officers would argue. However, you don't HAVE to follow-up after 6 months if you want to wait - you have up to a year to do that. USCIS understands how frustrating it is to wait so they give you the timeframe so that you can give them a reasonable time to get to your case. With that said, the officer you spoke isn't wrong - you do have up to a year but whether it's considered the "normal processing time" it's debatable. Some Tier 2 officers will say you are out of the normal processing time if it's beyond 6 months.

2) I would wait and call again after your 6 months mark - 5 months is a bit short. You will have a better chance of getting a service request submitted at that time.

3) I spoke with two Tier 2 officers. As I mentioned in the beginning, don't bring up what other people experienced or what you already know. I have seen nothing but unhelpful results when you do that. When I called each time, I assumed that I am not aware of many of the logistics (even though I've been on VJ for a while) so that this way the Tier 2 will make an attempt to educate you on the process. The first time I called was just to get an "idea" of whether I should receive a receipt notice after I submitted my RFE. The second time I called, it was regarding a response to a service request I had submitted through a Tier 1. The letter tells me my case is still in "normal processing time" but the Tier 2 I spoke with (different person from my first call) tells me that although usually they give applications 6 months there is no guarantee that the adjudicator reviewing your case will follow that. The most he could do was send in a more specific service request and I just had to wait. This is the reason why I would call back again and speak with a different person because you may get someone who is more helpful than the first.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

I am a late September filer, called USCIS today because I don't have any updates on my case for more than 5 months. I asked to speak to tier 2 and the lady told me that the normal processing time for I-751 cases is 1 year and that I even can't ask about a service request before my 1 year extension letter (NOA1) expires. I was really surprised to hear that as the uscis website indicates that the normal processing time is 6 months. When I politely asked her about the website info and said that I even know a few people who had submitted their cases later than I did and had already been approved, she told me that there must be a mistake in the website and all my info is wrong and that I should not argue (which I actually did not) and advised to wait.

Now I have a few questions to you guys:

1. What is the normal processing time for I-751? Can we rely on the info from their website?

2. Can I submit a service request if there is no info about my case for more than 6 months?

3. What was your experience talking to tier 2 officers?

Thanks. Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

ROC Journey:

4/24/13 - Submitted I-751 application

4/26/13 - I-751 officially filed

6/11/13 - Biometrics done

8/14/13 - Rec'd RFE

9/21/13 - Submitted RFE response

9/23/13 - RFE response rec'd at VSC

(about 2 months later)

11/21/13 - Service request via Tier 1 submitted

12/11/13 - Response to service request rec'd - vague info about processing times

12/12/13 - Service request via Tier 2 submitted

12/10/13 - APPROVED!!! (letter rec'd 12/14/13)

12/16/13 - 2nd Service request response rec'd

12/17/13 - Card production email/text rec'd (online case updated)!

12/24/13 - Notification rec'd via email regarding card mailed on 12/23/13 (online case updated as well)

12/26/13 - 10-yr card rec'd!

One thing I have learned on this journey:

There is no such thing as an "overkill" evidence package. Submit anything and everything you can. Who knows what will prevent you from getting an RFE.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you very much, Victorian221b. Your response is really helpful.

I will call again after 6 months if I don't have any info before that.

Hello!

I would call back again and get a different person. And when you do, don't even bring up what other people's experiences are because that's the reaction you get.

To answer your questions:

1) Normal processing time per USCIS is currently "6 months" and this is based on the current average process time for I-751 - 6 months can change to 9 months if the current average processing time is 9 months etc. Now, USCIS gives you the allowance to follow-up if you don't hear back after 6 months - I don't think anyone should argue that as it's documented so I don't understand why some Tier 2 officers would argue. However, you don't HAVE to follow-up after 6 months if you want to wait - you have up to a year to do that. USCIS understands how frustrating it is to wait so they give you the timeframe so that you can give them a reasonable time to get to your case. With that said, the officer you spoke isn't wrong - you do have up to a year but whether it's considered the "normal processing time" it's debatable. Some Tier 2 officers will say you are out of the normal processing time if it's beyond 6 months.

2) I would wait and call again after your 6 months mark - 5 months is a bit short. You will have a better chance of getting a service request submitted at that time.

3) I spoke with two Tier 2 officers. As I mentioned in the beginning, don't bring up what other people experienced or what you already know. I have seen nothing but unhelpful results when you do that. When I called each time, I assumed that I am not aware of many of the logistics (even though I've been on VJ for a while) so that this way the Tier 2 will make an attempt to educate you on the process. The first time I called was just to get an "idea" of whether I should receive a receipt notice after I submitted my RFE. The second time I called, it was regarding a response to a service request I had submitted through a Tier 1. The letter tells me my case is still in "normal processing time" but the Tier 2 I spoke with (different person from my first call) tells me that although usually they give applications 6 months there is no guarantee that the adjudicator reviewing your case will follow that. The most he could do was send in a more specific service request and I just had to wait. This is the reason why I would call back again and speak with a different person because you may get someone who is more helpful than the first.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.