ImminentImmigrant

How long does fingerprinting take after entering the US?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Just succesfully went through the CR1 VIsa process. I plan to do an MBA in the US this fall, so planning to arrive in the US next month.

My question is this: I have some pending work in my country of residence so cannot move to the US right now. Plan to visit the US next month to become a permenant resident, start the process of my SSN. I heard that 2 weeks after your POE, you are called for biometrics (fingerprinting). Is this true? I need to keep my trip as short as possible, so do you think 15 days is a safe enough duration?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. tldr: what's the time gap between entering the US on a CR-1 Visa and being called for fingerprinting?

No, a CR-1 does not get fingerprints taken in the US.

You are confusing it with a K-1 or Adjustment of Status process.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

No, a CR-1 does not get fingerprints taken in the US.

You are confusing it with a K-1 or Adjustment of Status process.

Good luck.

Oops. Thanks for clarifying that. Does that mean that technically, I could enter the US and leave within a day or two, as entering the US is the only immediate formality that needs completion?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Your visa stamp in your passport serves as temporary proof of permanent residence for 1 year when indorsed. So I believe you can travel with that once its endorsed. Its stated on the bottom of the visa page.

"SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR”,

Just don't leave for long, there's a set amount of time you are allowed to leave before they pull your green card.

The only time you would need fingerprints after this step is if you remove barriers to get the IR1 or the N-400.

Edited by Jeremy12095

Yep. You will be given a stamp in your passport and that will confer LPR status for a year. You need to follow up on getting your GC mailed out, paying the GC fee, etc, but your travel is completely free upon entry.

LPR is for living in the US, though, and if you live and work abroad for long enough your GC will be taken away. The whole point of this visa is family unity, so leaving your family doesn't mix with it.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.