Ban Hammer

Student shot at Tacoma, Wash., school

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

TACOMA, Wash. - A student was shot and wounded Wednesday morning at a Tacoma high school, and police were searching for a gunman, a school district spokeswoman said.

Tacoma school district spokeswoman Patty Holmgren said a male student was wounded in the shooting at Foss High School. She said police know who the suspect is and believe he ran from campus.

"Two young people involved. Assuming one young person brought a weapon to school and wounded another," Holmgren told CNN.

Police responded to the school shortly after the 7:30 a.m. shooting and evacuated students while searching the building, police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

The age of the student shot and his condition were not immediately released.

Class were canceled for the rest of the day, and students waited outside to be loaded on to buses.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
This is merely the price the nation pays for insisting on easy as can be access to firearms. There are and should be no surprises on any of these type events. Sadness, sure. Surprises, absolutely not.

no, this is the result of awful parenting and easy child access to firearms.

Timeline
This is merely the price the nation pays for insisting on easy as can be access to firearms. There are and should be no surprises on any of these type events. Sadness, sure. Surprises, absolutely not.

given that above by et, i'm surprised i made it past high school. i grew up with guns around and never had the inclination to touch one without permission from my father. i agree with you, lisa, that it's a lack of parenting, parental control, and the criminal element that provides such. maybe an automatic death sentence for someone illegally providing firearms to underaged users is in order.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

given that above by et, i'm surprised i made it past high school. i grew up with guns around and never had the inclination to touch one without permission from my father. i agree with you, lisa, that it's a lack of parenting, parental control, and the criminal element that provides such. maybe an automatic death sentence for someone illegally providing firearms to underaged users is in order.

My father is USMC. There are guns in the house. There were guns in the house growing up. I was instilled with a respect and a fear for what they do, and was NEVER allowed to go near one. And they were always locked up anyway.

Not only that, but my parents PARENTED me...they knew what was going on in my life...they were there to help me process when I had a bad day. And never in my life would I ever have imagined me as a child having no coping skills so that I felt it was a logical thing to bring a gun to school and shoot someone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think we should BAN HIGH SCHOOL! :protest:

Timeline

follow up - said student above died

TACOMA, Wash. - A student was shot to death at his high school as classes were about to start Wednesday morning, and police arrested another student found wandering in a nearby neighborhood, officials said.

The slain student's age and many details of the 7:30 a.m. shooting at Foss High School were not immediately released, but police spokesman Mark Fulghum said no one else was believed to be injured.

Fulghum said police were trying to determine what prompted the attack.

The suspected shooter fled the scene shortly after the attack, and was captured about two hours later without put up a fight, Detective Chris Taylor said.

"He was wandering in the neighborhood a few miles away," Taylor said. "How he got that far isn't clear."

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

follow up - said student above died

TACOMA, Wash. - A student was shot to death at his high school as classes were about to start Wednesday morning, and police arrested another student found wandering in a nearby neighborhood, officials said.

The slain student's age and many details of the 7:30 a.m. shooting at Foss High School were not immediately released, but police spokesman Mark Fulghum said no one else was believed to be injured.

Fulghum said police were trying to determine what prompted the attack.

The suspected shooter fled the scene shortly after the attack, and was captured about two hours later without put up a fight, Detective Chris Taylor said.

"He was wandering in the neighborhood a few miles away," Taylor said. "How he got that far isn't clear."

link

omG that is just awful

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree that lack of parental oversight is a contributing factor, but we wouldn't leave a nuclear warhead in our living room with a big red button on it and just tell our kids never to push the button. Any time a law is proposed that puts legal responsibility on the gun owners to keep them locked away from children, the NRA lobbies against it. There are many things we can do right now to make these kinds of tragedies from ever happening, but look who is fighting against implementing any reasonable solutions.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree that lack of parental oversight is a contributing factor, we wouldn't leave a nuclear warhead in our living room with a big red button on it and just tell our kids never to push the button. Any time a law is proposed that puts legal responsibility on the gun owners to keep them locked away from children, the NRA lobbies against it. There are many things we can do right now to make these kinds of tragedies from ever happening, but look who is fighting against implementing any reasonable solutions.

But you know the reason the NRA lobbies against is because they know the real agenda of the anti-gun crowd is a total ban on personal ownership. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile ...

Timeline

I agree that lack of parental oversight is a contributing factor, but we wouldn't leave a nuclear warhead in our living room with a big red button on it and just tell our kids never to push the button. Any time a law is proposed that puts legal responsibility on the gun owners to keep them locked away from children, the NRA lobbies against it. There are many things we can do right now to make these kinds of tragedies from ever happening, but look who is fighting against implementing any reasonable solutions.

maybe bust that azz if they even look at it :thumbs:

i'm sure my dad woulda whipped 10 pounds off my azz off if i'd touched any of the guns when i was a kid.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

maybe bust that azz if they even look at it :thumbs:

i'm sure my dad woulda whipped 10 pounds off my azz off if i'd touched any of the guns when i was a kid.

You suggested earlier making parents legally responsible for the safety of their children, right? So if the parents happen to own the guns, but leave them accessible to children, then what? Unless you want to try these teenagers who decide to go on a killing rampage as adults, the adults who are responsible for their child should be partly culpible if they are the gun owner.

Any time a law is proposed that puts legal responsibility on the gun owners to keep them locked away from children, the NRA lobbies against it. There are many things we can do right now to make these kinds of tragedies from ever happening, but look who is fighting against implementing any reasonable solutions.

My point exactly! I would strongly advocate prosecuting the parents to the fullest extend of the law for the crime their child has comitted. But that ain't gonna happen. Because the it would be slap in the face of the nation's law-abiding hunters. :blink:

Timeline
The teenagers who decide to go on a killing rampage should be tried as adults.

The adults who are responsible for giving them access to the guns should be tried as well.

So do you support laws requiring gun owners to take certain steps to ensure their firearms are safe from children?

As far as trying teenagers as adults - I don't think thats a solution - certainly won't be a deterrent. I'd rather see school programs that teach teenagers anger management and conflict resolution.