JDDM

Working & traveling on cruise line with a green card

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

My wife and I are in a very unique situation, she got her green card in January of 2012 as you can see from our TL. We've done everything we need to and are now waiting for the approval of our I-751 and her 10 year GC to arrive. The unique part is that we work for an American cruise line, we are on ships for 10 months out of the year and are at home in Florida for the remaining 2 months. The current ship we are on is porting out of Fort Lauderdale, FL, so we haven't had any issues with being out of the country for long periods of time. We just got our next assignment for the later part of 2014 and for the first time we'll be on a ship sailing in Europe for 6 months. I've been doing a lot of research on here and on USCIS, what I've found is that you are allowed to be out of the country for up to 1 year. But, if it's more then, six months CPB could give her a hard time at POE on the way back into the U.S. I also read on here that if you have a contract from your employer stating where you are going and what your doing along with solid proof you have deep roots established in the U.S (I.E Bank account statements, tax returns, credit card statements, insurance information, permeant address which we have) you shouldn't have a problem. My question to the VJ community is, has anyone experienced working out of the country for more then 6 months and less then a year? Did you have any issues? Does anyone know if the information I've shared is accurate?

We plan to go visit her family in Romania after we finish our current contract and then fly from there to our next ships home port in Western Europe. Counting all this time, we will be out of the country for 7 months and 4 days. Do you think we'll have any issues entering back into the U.S? Additionally, she will be traveling with a expired GC, but we have the I-751 receipt letter from USCIS extending her GC and authorizing travel and work for one year. I plan to have my Aunt who we live with mail us the 10 year green card to the ship in Europe when it comes in the mail, if we don't receive it before we leave for Romania. Any insight on this unique situation would be welcome, has anyone has experience with this type of situation? Additionally I am correct that her naturalization clock resets after 6 months out of the country? We have absolutely no intention of abandoning her GC, this is our work and we both plan to live in the states for the rest our of lives. I just want to make sure we are covering all our bases here and that we won't run into any surprises. This is the first time she'll be put of the U.S for this long, she went to home for one month in early 2013 but nothing longer then that. Lastly, this may become a recurring situation, that may happen one a year or maybe every 24 months. Will this become an issue for us in the long run? Thank you all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.