Trochilidae

Medical envelope from embassy - how do I use it in the i-693 form for the i-485 package

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

In the middle of putting together my I-485 package. In my K1 package from the embassy in my home country I got an envelope that has DO NOT OPEN on it in big red letters. The instructions on the envelope say 'K1 - applicant copies of medical forms. Retain this sealed envelope for your I-485 application with the USCIS Office. Do not open.' I'm going to assume these are my medical records that I got during my medical exam in my home country while filing for the K1 visa.

Do I send this envelope in together with the I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination? Or do I need to set up some kind of second medical exam with a civil surgeon who will then finish filling in the form?

Thanks for any advice!

You only need to give the the DS-3025. I'm guessing it's in the sealed envelope. no reason why it should be sealed though.

There was another "Do not open" envelope from the Embassy that you handed over at POE, correct?

Edited by Lainie B

Also you don't submit the I-693 without going to a civil surgeon. The vaccination sheet hopefully was marked as "complete" (though you won't know unless you open the envelope). If it was complete, then you don't need the I-693 at all, and you won't need to see a civil surgeon in the US (if your medical in your home country was done within a year of submitting your I-485).

There was indeed another huge yellow envelope I handed over at the POE.

The envelope I have now is a normal letter sized envelope (white) containing a somewhat thick bundle of folded papers. I can barely make out the words 'US Department Medical Examination of Immigrant or Refugee' on a paper inside. It's imprinted with the the words 'The United States of America - Official Business'.

Actually, now I'm even more confused. I just found my DS-3025 form which says "for use with DS-2053 or DS-2054" and it lists my full vaccination history. It is signed and completed exactly to the specifications listed in this post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/439062-i-693-clarification/?p=6338622%C2'>

Now I'm wondering what "for use with DS-2053 or DS-2054" means. I haven't seen these forms mentioned anywhere else.

So now I'm wondering, what in the world could be in the envelope? I really don't want to unintentionally submit an incomplete I-485 package.

I'm not sure what's in the envelope. Probably a copy of the rest of your medical forms for your records, but I don't know why they're marked Do Not Open. All you need for the I-485 is the DS-3025.

To submit the DS-3025, does it have to be the original one or can it be a copy?

Copy is fine. I would be surprised if they gave you the original. I think the original would be inside the Do Not Open package that was handed in at POE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the AOS/Family-Based main forum -- OP is past the K-1 stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Looks to just be a copy for your records, they must have thought you need a copy sealed for the I-485 but you don't, all you need is a complete Ds-3025 or if it isn't complete then you need to get the missing vaccinations and go to a civil surgeon to have them transcribe the vaccinations onto an I-693 (not a full medical).

Thank you all for the replies! I'll be sending in a copy of the completed DS-3025 then and keeping the envelope here. Worst that can happen is an RFE at this point!

Just thought I'd share my experience.

I submitted my AOS application with only my DS-3205. I also received a sealed CD from my medical back in my home country but I did not include that. I thought my vaccinations were complete and did not need the i-693.

I did not receive an RFE and was given an interview date. During the interview, the officer requested for my I-693 and I didn't have it. Turns out I was missing a second MMR shot. Everything else went well during the interview, I was just given a paper that says I need to mail in my I-693. I mailed it in and received my approval letter 2 weeks later, and my green card 1 week after that.

So yes, the worst that can happen is an RFE in the mail or during the interview. But otherwise, you're still on the right track!

Edited by fluff5

Just thought I'd share my experience.

I submitted my AOS application with only my DS-3205. I also received a sealed CD from my medical back in my home country but I did not include that. I thought my vaccinations were complete and did not need the i-693.

I did not receive an RFE and was given an interview date. During the interview, the officer requested for my I-693 and I didn't have it. Turns out I was missing a second MMR shot. Everything else went well during the interview, I was just given a paper that says I need to mail in my I-693. I mailed it in and received my approval letter 2 weeks later, and my green card 1 week after that.

So yes, the worst that can happen is an RFE in the mail or during the interview. But otherwise, you're still on the right track!

hi there, I have a DS-3025 from my home country too, but there wrote incomplete on it. Since I only had one shot, I didn't get the booster shot (second shot). I didn't go to see a civil surgeon so far, do I need go to get the booster shot? or I just mail the incomplete DS-3025, then I go to see the doctor and get the I -693, and bring it on my interview?

thanks

hi there, I have a DS-3025 from my home country too, but there wrote incomplete on it. Since I only had one shot, I didn't get the booster shot (second shot). I didn't go to see a civil surgeon so far, do I need go to get the booster shot? or I just mail the incomplete DS-3025, then I go to see the doctor and get the I -693, and bring it on my interview?

thanks

If you haven't sent in your application, it's better to go see a doctor and get the i-693. Better to be sure and complete i think.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.