cwhetstine

Will we get approved?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello All,

Long time lurker first time post. First, I'd like to say thank you to Thai visa journey members who shared their experiences. Your information on here is extremely invaluable and helped alleviate some of our concerns throughout this complicated process. Way more informative than the visa service I hired. (useless) I think we got all our bases covered, however, as we get closer our anxiety is cause for many a sleepless night. My fiancé Renu has her Interview in less than 3 weeks and I would appreciate if someone with experience to check if there's anything that might potentially cause a hiccup for our K-1.

Some Background:

I'm 33, she's 31 and we've been together going on 2+ years. I lived in Thailand with her for 1 year (Bangkok) and I'm also half Thai myself but grew up in the States. She works at an American style pub and speaks good English as she studied at AUA language center Bangkok.

Positives (I believe) going for us:

All Paperwork thoroughly checked and organized.

30+ Photos

Apartment lease in my name with utilities in hers

100+ chat logs for when I returned to the U.S.

6X the minimum income requirement from my current Salary and Veteran disability compensation (U.S. Navy 10+)

Red Flags: (maybe?)

Both married twice (have all required divorce paperwork in Thai and English, but still I don’t think it looks good?)

Her kid is Thai/Danish and lives with his father (he's Thai/Danish also) in Denmark so we cannot get his birth certificate and is that really required? The kid isn't coming nor was he even on the initial petition. We have a letter from the father saying he will take care of him as he has been for years. (Renu gets weekend visits when they come back to Thailand)

No ring. We (well maybe just me) decided not to get a ring until she came here not because I was cheapskate., In hindsight I think that was a mistake. (Just wanted to take her to Jared, ha!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I surely will be paying it forward. Sorry for long post.

- Charlie

Timeline

Most likely you will fly through the interview. you clearly have a relationship.

They may be suspicious of a marriage between you. having been together in Thailand for so long. Any ceremonies in Thailand?

Did she leave Thailand to live with the previous husbands? Any over stays?

How long from termination of both your previous marriages and filing the 129?

Were either of you married when you met?

Edited by slowlyman

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello All,

Long time lurker first time post. First, I'd like to say thank you to Thai visa journey members who shared their experiences. Your information on here is extremely invaluable and helped alleviate some of our concerns throughout this complicated process. Way more informative than the visa service I hired. (useless) I think we got all our bases covered, however, as we get closer our anxiety is cause for many a sleepless night. My fiancé Renu has her Interview in less than 3 weeks and I would appreciate if someone with experience to check if there's anything that might potentially cause a hiccup for our K-1.

Some Background:

I'm 33, she's 31 and we've been together going on 2+ years. I lived in Thailand with her for 1 year (Bangkok) and I'm also half Thai myself but grew up in the States. She works at an American style pub and speaks good English as she studied at AUA language center Bangkok.

Positives (I believe) going for us:

All Paperwork thoroughly checked and organized.

30+ Photos

Apartment lease in my name with utilities in hers

100+ chat logs for when I returned to the U.S.

6X the minimum income requirement from my current Salary and Veteran disability compensation (U.S. Navy 10+)

Red Flags: (maybe?)

Both married twice (have all required divorce paperwork in Thai and English, but still I don’t think it looks good?)

Her kid is Thai/Danish and lives with his father (he's Thai/Danish also) in Denmark so we cannot get his birth certificate and is that really required? The kid isn't coming nor was he even on the initial petition. We have a letter from the father saying he will take care of him as he has been for years. (Renu gets weekend visits when they come back to Thailand)

No ring. We (well maybe just me) decided not to get a ring until she came here not because I was cheapskate., In hindsight I think that was a mistake. (Just wanted to take her to Jared, ha!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I surely will be paying it forward. Sorry for long post.

- Charlie

I would suggest simply allowing karma to play its role now. There is about to be a cascade of events that lead to what you expect as you plan your future.

Red flag? At least orange. The pub. There must be no sense of anything that resembles the bar scene. I offer this with total respect and understanding. In another case the person was suspected to have one " job " when in reality she cleaned the place on day shift.

I assume she will know how to describe what Americans think of as " food service workers ".

Married twice. It simply means you are both experienced enough to know what you want and how to succeed.

You already own the ring. You just cant see it yet. Its that karma we believe in.

Being prepared rather than scared will assure you of the correct result. You have done well; just polish it some now.

Timeline

Thanks for fast response Slowlyman,

Hmm no marriage ceremonies while I was there well at least I hope not lol.

She traveled with her previous husband overseas (Thai/Danish guy) when they were married but no overstays. Mostly on vacation and business.

Marriage was terminated long before I filed petition. ( Filed in September 2013, previous marriage finalized Feb 2012)

Last part though, you bring up something I didn't think about. I separated from my wife in September 2011 (separate not divorce yet as it takes 6 months) but was assigned to Thailand in December 2011 and met Renu in January and started our relationship. So technically I was still married when I met and began an relationship with Renu (divorce didn't finalize until Feb 2012). Should I include the marriage separation paper work for the interview?? This is something I didn't think about before, but now I can see the importance. I need to prep Renu in case she gets asked this question. Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Red flag? At least orange. The pub. There must be no sense of anything that resembles the bar scene. I offer this with total respect and understanding. In another case the person was suspected to have one " job " when in reality she cleaned the place on day shift.

I assume she will know how to describe what Americans think of as " food service workers ".

100% agree. OP needs to get his ducks in a row concerning that situation. The "American style pub" isn't gonna look good to them. Fair or unfair that's gonna raise a flag.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Thanks Ning!

Your right,

I should let fate play out but this process and being without her is killing me. Plus with all that's going on currently with Thailand has me and her so worried. Just hope our past lives doesn't negate us from having one together in the future. (kids, marriages..)

She works a Bully's Pub Bangkok, a popular family restaurant (even though its near Nana) in Bangkok where all them Embassy folks like to go for lunch. So hopefully that might be a positive. We can only hope whoever does her interview is one of her regulars lol.

Timeline

She traveled with her previous husband overseas (Thai/Danish guy) when they were married but no overstays. Mostly on vacation and business.

Marriage was terminated long before I filed petition. ( Filed in September 2013, previous marriage finalized Feb 2012)

Last part though, you bring up something I didn't think about. I separated from my wife in September 2011 (separate not divorce yet as it takes 6 months) but was assigned to Thailand in December 2011 and met Renu in January and started our relationship. So technically I was still married when I met and began an relationship with Renu (divorce didn't finalize until Feb 2012). Should I include the marriage separation paper work for the interview?? This is something I didn't think about before, but now I can see the importance. I need to prep Renu in case she gets asked this question. Thank you so much!

Leave out any hint of a marriage.

Lets keep in mind you separated , were divorcing in in Sept when in the USA. I don't think the fact that you met someone 8,000 miles away while working would be seen in any bad light. Your whole plan revolves around a plan to legally enter the USA for the purpose of marriage.

The divorce docs should be enough. If they want the others just scan it to them.

Edited by Ning

Timeline

She works a Bully's Pub Bangkok, a popular family restaurant (even though its near Nana) in Bangkok where all them Embassy folks like to go for lunch. So hopefully that might be a positive. We can only hope whoever does her interview is one of her regulars lol.

Never heard of it. Which is good.

I looked it up. Seems like a decent place along the lines of Bourbon Street. Hard to say how they'll look at it.

Timeline

Thanks Ning!

Your right,

I should let fate play out but this process and being without her is killing me. Plus with all that's going on currently with Thailand has me and her so worried. Just hope our past lives doesn't negate us from having one together in the future. (kids, marriages..)

You probably didn't expect some of this but your future wife would appreciate your understanding of our belief. Fate? Maybe. But its more likely our own actions are invested in karma.

This may mean there are things in the past that caused problems but the future is determined by our present efforts. You see if you are at peace with the past then leave it there. If that's the case there is no reason for others to review that past because they cant affect it so why bring it up? They know that so leave the box closed.

Lower the flag about job. She probably is a food server on the day shift at a fine pub and just happens to at least see embassy people at times. She isn't doing anything they aren't. It doesn't get a better.

Timeline

Wow thanks for all the responses guys,

I put her occupation as Waitress. Is that something I should have her prep on as well to properly explain it's not "one of those bars?" She's never worked in one of those places (no judgement on people who have) but Bully's is near Nana. (Next door to the J.W. Marriott) so one could make a judgement.

You guys make valid points. I can see where someone could assume the worst. It's something we both overlooked in this process because we just assumed they would have better judgement on distinguish between whats a family pub as opposed to..well you know what I mean...

Karee - Yes Bully's is very similar to Bourbon Street but the food is not nearly as good. (Don't tell her I said that!) You will see a lot of expat families in there.It's kind of surreal when you walk in being so close to the "Adult Playground" and all.

Ning -

You are so right on many levels. A couple of weeks ago I was confident we were ready, however, it's just right now our anxieties are heightened because the interview date is getting so close plus the uneasy political situation in Thailand is unnerving. I just want to do my part to help her be prepared and ready. But your right, sometimes we should let karma take it's course.

Edited by cwhetstine

Timeline

Wow thanks for all the responses guys,

I put her occupation as Waitress. Is that something I should have her prep on as well to properly explain it's not "one of those bars?" She's never worked in one of those places (no judgement on people who have) but Bully's is near Nana. (Next door to the J.W. Marriott) so one could make a judgement.

You guys make valid points. I can see where someone could assume the worst. It's something we both overlooked in this process because we just assumed they would have better judgement on distinguish between whats a family pub as opposed to..well you know what I mean...

Karee - Yes Bully's is very similar to Bourbon Street but the food is not nearly as good. (Don't tell her I said that!) You will see a lot of expat families in there.It's kind of surreal when you walk in being so close to the "Adult Playground" and all.

Ning -

You are so right on many levels. A couple of weeks ago I was confident we were ready, however, it's just right now our anxieties are heightened because the interview date is getting so close plus the uneasy political situation in Thailand is unnerving. I just want to do my part to help her be prepared and ready. But your right, sometimes we should let karma take it's course.

People work in these restaurants as we all know so she should just be ready to explain she is a food service worker. They may or may not want to look into this aspect.

Their judgment is tested every day so they are pretty good but they also are tuned into the bar girl bit too. I know someone that has tired twice but because she IS one of these bar girls she just cant get past it with the embassy.

I have learned that Karee is a very good adviser. He is no Bully but does know something about Bourbon as we see here.

Of course you are both nervous or anxious because that's part of this journey. Your foundation is solid so I don't see any real problems.

Timeline

Best thing you can do to fend off the "bar girl" image is dress like a typical Thai lady. Jin was suprised how many of the woman interviewing looked like they just came from the bar. A good Thai girl won;t dress like that.

Timeline

Best thing you can do to fend off the "bar girl" image is dress like a typical Thai lady. Jin was suprised how many of the woman interviewing looked like they just came from the bar. A good Thai girl won;t dress like that.

Yeah this is key as well. There have been alot of girls walking out of the embassy with many tears and no visa wearing tight jeans and high heels. Should dress in business attire. Black slacks and white shirt.

I don't think I would worry about the past marriage stuff (Though I am not a lawyer either). Just be honest. There are many reasons why people stay married yet not with the person. It's expensive to even file for divorce so some people have to wait until they can afford it. Or like you had to move to another country and that doesn't make filing for divorce easy when you have to notarize documents and mail things. Just be open and honest about your past relationships if asked. I think it would be more of a red flag is she had attempted a visa in the past to the US. Good Luck to you too.

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.