luck-e and Kookie

Up to when k1 can file AOS and can K2 apply for US passport

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Again, all K-1 visa holders get that printed on their SSN. It states it is valid for work only with DHS authorization. The DHS authorization is the EAD(Employment Authorization Document). It is not valid for work without that authorization. You are not legally authorized to work with the SSN alone. It does not matter if the employer ran a background check on you. You do not have the proper authorization to work in the US. You need the SSN AND the EAD or green card.

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. Any work authorization based on a nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé (e) would also be eligible to apply for an extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765 together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Some of those that fall in the first and third categories (including those who have a pending Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) are required to apply for work authorization and an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization prior to seeking work in the United States. The EAD is the proof that you will show to your employer that you are allowed to work in the United States. In most cases, EADs are granted for a 1 year period.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/employment-authorization-document

Please see the acceptable documents needed for work in the US > http://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents

You need one from List A or one from List B and C. Your SSN is exempt from being used as a document from List C. You need one from List A or an unrestricted SSN, which does not have that stipulation printed on it. You can get an unrestricted SSN after you receive your green card. Until then, you need the EAD along with your restricted SSN to work legally in the US.

What would be the point of an EAD and printing that stipulation on the SSN if all K-1 entrants could just work with the SSN alone?

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.