fhorta

parole in place for veteran

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi AReyes,

have you heard back from USCIS? I am struggling to decide whether we should go ahead and file I-131. I am scared to death of the possibility of getting denied and the possibility of my husband being put in removal proceedings. If you can share any updates on your case i will greatly appreciate it.

thanks much!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Duplicate topics merged.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Yes. Now time to adjust status. One little thing to mention though- after my husband was given the I 94, he took the I 94 and passport to the local driver's license office. He paid the fees, took the pic and was even assigned a drivers license number. However, DPS was not able to verify his lawful presence through their SAVE program. So basically they toild him he has to WAIT until they get confirmation from immigration that his I 94 is legit and that his name appears in their SAVE databases. It took pretty close to a month for dps to get a response from immigration, but he just got the approval notice from DPS that he is all clear to take the test. YAY!!!!

Other strange thing, he received a Notice of Action letter from USCIS stating that they were reviewing his I 94 request about 2 weeks after he was already granted the Parole in Place and given the actual I 94 card in the local office.

I dunno why, maybe a delay in the recording of everything from the local office to the main immigration database? its all good though.

Timeline

Hi AReyes,

have you heard back from USCIS? I am struggling to decide whether we should go ahead and file I-131. I am scared to death of the possibility of getting denied and the possibility of my husband being put in removal proceedings. If you can share any updates on your case i will greatly appreciate it.

thanks much!

Newbie,

Hi. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I am not an expert or an attorney but I can tell you what I have read regarding this whole process and share my experience as well. Supposedly the Parole In Place is a remedy to allow someone the ability to adjust status when their otherwise illegal entry would have disqualified them. But it is not a blanket permission that covers other factors that could still affect the applicants ability to qualify.

For example, if the person trying to adjust status has a significant criminal history, their case still may not qualify to adjust status even if granted the Parole in Place because the other factors disqualify the person, outside of the unlawful presence issue. I DO know that part of the PIP process is to do a Biometrics background check.

Would having a criminal history disqualify someone from being granted PIP? I dont know. But from what I have read, there are other waivers that someone with a criminal background could try to apply for like the 601-a waiver. I may be wrong, but the difference between the two is that PIP allows the person to adjust status without actually leaving, filing the paperwork strictly thru USCIS, whereas the 601A waiver is sort of like a guaranteed answer that even though the person still has to go back to their country to adjust, at least they know ahead of time that their case will not get a time ban of up to 10 years. Processing is thru the Visa Center. I hope this helps.

Questions I had during this process:

1. If someone illegal goes to the USCIS office for an infopass, will they be detained on the spot?

Answer- unless there is an active deportation order at the time, likely no. Security check was to walk through a metal detector, not required to show ID just to walk inside.

2. is there a charge for any part of the PIP process:

Filing and biometrics no. Still have to get passport style photos though.

3. Is biometrics a scary process?

NOOO. must bring form of ID to the appointment and appointment letter. Enter into a large room with seats. Everyone has a quick 1 page application to fill out. Fist one to turn in app is first one to be seen; first come first serve order.

3. How will I know when my PIP request is approved or denied?

I still don't know. I happened to schedule an infopass about 5 weeks after the Biometrics appointment and luckily, was granted I 94 few hours later.

4. Can someone get a drivers license with PIP?

In Texas-YES. However, need to fill out social security affidavit stating you don't have a valid ssn and need to bring at least 2 types of bills/insurance statement/bankstatement, etc, within the last 90 days proving residency in Texas.

Also, you will pay the fee, take the eye test, get picture taken and if your name has not yet been registered in their SAVE database, need to wait about a month for a clearance letter from dps telling you its ok to come back in. Making another infopass with immigration during this time wont speed thing up. Just wait.

I hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

I am a OIF/OEF combat veteran and I submitted an I131 for PIP purposes for my spouse. The process was an ordeal as the PIP package needs to be submitted to the persons local USCIS office.

Once I submitted the package, I received a Notice of Action on March 10, 2014 that the package was received. Well, now it's been over two months and I have not received a biometrics appointment for my wife. The local USCIS office is also uncooperative.

Has anyone experienced this issue? What is the timeline to receive a response from them? How did you over come. From some of post on here it's seems we should have received a response by now. Any help is appreciated.

Timeline

Mailed AOS package: 5/1/14

Received NOA1 email: 5/6/14

Received Hard Copy NOA1 in mail: 5/9/14

Received Biometrics appointment in mail: 5/15/14

Biometrics appointment date: 6/5/14.

BTW-to all people that get approved for PIP/I 94. If you go to get a driver's license and you have not filed you AOS package yet, I think that the driver's license will have an expiration date the same as the expiration date on the I 94 card.

If you wait to apply for your license until after you have NOA1 letter for AOS package, they will give license with a normal expiration date. At least that was our experience here in Texas.

Timeline

I am a OIF/OEF combat veteran and I submitted an I131 for PIP purposes for my spouse. The process was an ordeal as the PIP package needs to be submitted to the persons local USCIS office.

Once I submitted the package, I received a Notice of Action on March 10, 2014 that the package was received. Well, now it's been over two months and I have not received a biometrics appointment for my wife. The local USCIS office is also uncooperative.

Has anyone experienced this issue? What is the timeline to receive a response from them? How did you over come. From some of post on here it's seems we should have received a response by now. Any help is appreciated.

Leodan,

Hi. I'm sorry, I don't recognize the acronyms of OIF/OEF. However, from what your posts sounds like, it seems as though you submitted your PIP to a lockbox iinstead of the local office? Unless you are deployed, you could make an INFOPASS appointment to turn in the same package at the local office, or even your wife could go for you if you are deployed.

When I went for the INFOPASS appointment, they printed the Biometrics appointment letter right then and there. I was originally missing a document but they allowed me to return with the document a couple of hours later and that is when they gave me the Biometrics print out. Just in case you are not aware, Infopass appointments are scheduled online:

https://www.infopass.uscis.gov/

Also, there is a Facebook group dedicated to parole in place applicants with their experiences, its called PAROLE IN PLACE (PIP). The group has a lot of messages in spanish but there are some posts in english too. You definately could post a question in english on the site and receive an answer in english. It is a closed group though. So, you have to send a friend request to be able to see the FB page for them.

I hope this helps :)

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.