ShawnMarie

IR-1 Interview in Sydney on 4th Feb - travelling to the US on the 10th Feb?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After an 18 month application process my husband finally has his IR-1 interview at the Sydney consulate next week on the 4th of Feb!!

However... we booked flights last year to visit my parents for a couple of weeks in Chicago, and are departing on 10th February. If he is approved for the visa... and we enter the US on the 10th just as a visitor... is that going to cause problems? I only just now realised this. I'll e-mail the consulate as well but don't have high hopes of getting a response before we leave for Sydney.

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed.

I would wait if approved which is 99% of the time the turnaround is 5 business days I got my passport back in my hands in 7 business days.This also depends where you live I was living on the the Central Coast if interstate add 1 day.

I heard when I went for my interview someone in a similar situation the consulate where not happy when they tell you not to book flights.Postpone your trip by 3 days 1 week it will be worth it.I understand your pain my process took 14 months.

Any questions ask

Mark

He won't be able to visit as a visitor should he have the visa. He would have to activate his visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We had our interview this past Tuesday (the 28th) and got our visa in the mail yesterday (Friday the 31st). It does say it can take longer, but the turnaround right now seems to be pretty quick. We checked the case before ours on CEAC (we just changed the last digit of our case number) and their visa was issued on the same day as ours. So if this all works out for you, your husband won't have to enter as a visitor and you'll be fine.

However, I'm not sure what the logistics of entering the country would be while your visa is being processed, but they do strongly advise against having flights booked before you have your visa in hand. This is different, of course, since these flights were purchased with the intention of entering the US as a visitor, and now your interview has conveniently been scheduled shortly before the flights. Still, I can't imagine this to be the kind of circumstance that sways a consulate into expediting the processing. Furthermore, as long as his visa is processing, his passport will be stuck with the consulate. I suggest you either change the date of your tickets now or regularly check your status after your interview and change them if it doesn't look like you will be getting your visa before the 10th.

Good luck - we're leaving on the 10th as well!

Met: 17 April 2012

Met in person: 5 February 2013

Natalia moves to Melbourne: 28 March 2013

I-129F Sent: 10 September 2013

NOA1: 18 September 2013

NOA2: 11 October 2013

NVC Received: 13 November 2013

NVC Left: 15 November 2013

Packet 3 Received: 22 November 2013

Packet 3 Sent: 18 December 2013

Packet 4 Received: 4 January 2014

Interview Date: 28 January 2014

Interview Result: Approved!

POE: Honolulu 10 February 2014

Wedding: 17 April 2014

AOS sent: 17 September 2014

NOA1: 24 September 2014

Original Biometrics Appointment (Lost in Mail): 15 October 2014

Biometrics Service Request: 30 October 2014

Biometrics Letter Received for 17 November 2014 Appointment: 1 November 2014

Unsuccessful Biometrics Walk-In (Portland, OR): 7 November 2014

Biometrics Completed: 17 November 2014

EAD/AP Approved: 26 November 2014

EAD/AP Received in Mail: 4 December 2014

Change of Address: 1 January 2015

Interview Scheduled: 14 January 2015

Interview Date: 17 February 2015

Thanks for the responses everyone. We are hoping that because we are just entering for two weeks to visit my parents then returning that we won't have to enter on his visa... if so... I wonder if we could activate his visa then return here for five months before moving to the US? I don't know... guess we'll find out tuesday :-\

Thank again :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.