moh-k

Still under administrative processing for a year

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I had my interview on 6th of February 2013 at US Embassy Amman/Jordan, everything went perfect and the counselor handed us (221g) form, they asked me to submit documents. We thought the processing would be over after I sent in one of the documents that were missing. But after the interview I got a phone call from the embassy and they said that we sorry the counselor forget to tell you you’re going under administrative processing, and they asked me not to send anything until this processing is over, and they will inform me what to send.

The first couple months waiting I wasn’t that worried, but after that when we have started emailing them and asking about it they always has the same answer which this case under AP and have to wait and every case is different. They leave us with no answers.

I am really paranoid and I don’t know what to do! Me and my wife got married in US, then we moved to Jordan. We have been married for over three years. She is us citizen and left her country and has stayed with me since 2011. And I have been reading about AP and I do understand there is no way to expedite this processing. Plus for certain cases it takes years and for others get denied. I have clean record and I never done anything illegal. Also, we are applying for ir1 visa if that makes a difference.

Anyone else out there have something similar happen to you? How long have you been waiting for AP? Has a case undergoing AP ever been denied?

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dear My case is also in administrative processing since November 2013. I have not hear anything like any visa has been denied in administrative processing but the time it takes is really annoying. Anyways, here is some useful info that i thought to share with you:

There are three kinds of security checks affecting nonimmigrant visa processing:

-- The Visas Condor: Heightened Security Checks

The specific criteria for Visa Condor checks are classified. However, these checks are likely based on several factors.

- The information that may trigger greater scrutiny include unexplained travel to predominantly Muslim countries in the last 10 years, prior employment in sensitive areas, military service for certain nationals, or specialized skills or training that may have military or security implications.

- Your country of birth, citizenship, or residence may also require a Visa Condor check. If you were born in a "T-7" or "List of 26" country, you will likely be subject to a Condor security check.

According to U.S. Department of State reports, approximately 80% of Visas Condor clearances are completed within 30 days. If your Visas Condor check has been pending for over 90 days, you may call the VO public inquiries line at (202) 663-1225 or email usvisa@state.gov.

-- Visas Mantis: Technology Alert List
The Visas Mantis security check is used when potentially sensitive technologies are involved in your visit, work, studies or research in the United States. This check is used when you are involved in any of the 15 categories found on the Critical Field List (CFL) of the State Department’s Technology Alert List (TAL).

The State Department contends that 80% of Visas Mantis checks are completed within 30 days. If your Visas Mantis check has been pending for over 90 days, you may contact the Problem Resolution Unit at saoinquiries@state.gov. Many foreign nationals and immigration attorneys have reported a substantial increase in the number of Mantis “hits” since 2003, particularly for nationals from Russia, China and Hong Kong.

-- NCIC Criminal Database Checks

Consular officials also search the National Crime Information Center (“NCIC”) database for information on criminal convictions before issuing a visa. Many people with common names receive a “false hit.” This occurs when someone with the same or similar name appears in the NCIC database with a criminal conviction. These false hits are occurring with increased regularity, and may take between 4 and 6 weeks to process. The U.S. government recently added 7 million names to this database, of which as many as half were Latino. This has resulted in a significant increase in the number of false hits and delays for persons with common Latino names.

False hits are a major cause of delays in visa processing for visa applicants. False hits can occur in both the Condor or NCIC criminal database. People with common names such as John Smith, Juan Gonzalez, Xian Lee or Ali Mohammad are extremely likely to have a “hit” in one of these databases.

If you have a common name or an arrest or conviction, you may want to consider processing your visa as a Third Country National in Mexico. Some consulates in Mexico have implemented a pilot fingerprint program. This program allows posts to process clearances on "false" hits in the same day, while clearances for positive hits are often received in two days.

Generally, when you contact Public Inquiries at (202) 663-1225 or email usvisa@state.gov. you will be told that the application has been received and is undergoing additional administrative review, and that the consulate will contact the applicant once this review has been completed.

Unfortunately, there isn't any detailed official explanation why administrative processing is taking so much longer to process. This problem may be connected to Department of State or other agencies. One explanation provided by a Department of State representative is that the delay in administrative processing is due to an increase in the visa applications volume.

It is important to understand that once administrative processing has been requested, nothing can be done to expedite the processing of an individual administrative processing. Sometimes, the administrative processing has been completed, but the consulate has not yet contacted the visa applicant.

Edited by Nimi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I can empathize with your plight, having come out of 14 months of AP myself, despite having a straight forward case. Don't worry that it’s because you've done something "wrong" or blame yourself for it. These days, the AP has become the norm rather than the exception. Some people are in AP for 3 weeks, and some as high as 3 years. But if you've crossed the one year mark, it should be towards the end of the process for you.

I have friends who are consular officers, and even they couldn't "peek into my case". It's a black box where different agencies investigate. Part of the delay is in the case moving from one desk to another. It's a bureaucratic nightmare as one State dept. employee put it.

The process is designed to be free of any influence or interference, so no lawyer, congressman, or even the state department employee can meddle with it. Once it starts, it simply has to run its course and end.

All this is immensely hard to deal with. But the last 14 months have taught me a lot about patience and dealing with the hand I was dealt. Keep the faith!

I had my interview on 6th of February 2013 at US Embassy Amman/Jordan, everything went perfect and the counselor handed us (221g) form, they asked me to submit documents. We thought the processing would be over after I sent in one of the documents that were missing. But after the interview I got a phone call from the embassy and they said that we sorry the counselor forget to tell you you’re going under administrative processing, and they asked me not to send anything until this processing is over, and they will inform me what to send.

The first couple months waiting I wasn’t that worried, but after that when we have started emailing them and asking about it they always has the same answer which this case under AP and have to wait and every case is different. They leave us with no answers.

I am really paranoid and I don’t know what to do! Me and my wife got married in US, then we moved to Jordan. We have been married for over three years. She is us citizen and left her country and has stayed with me since 2011. And I have been reading about AP and I do understand there is no way to expedite this processing. Plus for certain cases it takes years and for others get denied. I have clean record and I never done anything illegal. Also, we are applying for ir1 visa if that makes a difference.

Anyone else out there have something similar happen to you? How long have you been waiting for AP? Has a case undergoing AP ever been denied?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Have the petitioner contact their senator or congressperson in their state to inquire on your behalf

Totally agree. Your wife should contact a senator or congressman. Sometimes it helps to expedite the process. Good luck! I hope you'll be done with all this soon.

Timeline

Not really. They can make inquiries, but there won’t be any effect until after the petition is outside of normal processing time guidelines. Even then, it is negligible in most cases. But it does make one feel like they are doing something by "shaking the tree." Plus everywhere I have read the congressman or senator can’t really expedite the administrative processing. I am just sick of trying and get disappointed. And my biggest worry is to get denied after I waited like over a year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

One of my friend who had same case as yours (Wife - US citizen) had to wait for 25 months after his first interview to get his visa in hand. His wife contacted senators and congressman but I don't think that helped. After his first interview they called him after a year and then again a year later to issue visa.

But as far as I think they dont deny visa. They are just delaying and hope you get the visa ASAP.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Waivers & Administrative Processes forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Totally agree. Your wife should contact a senator or congressman. Sometimes it helps to expedite the process. Good luck! I hope you'll be done with all this soon.

No it can't expedite it. Nothing anyone says or does can or will expedite AP, but inquiring about the case will at least let the embassy know that an elected official is aware of the circumstances and will be monitoring their case. When my husband was in AP in Amman the liaison from my senators office inquired every 2 weeks for us, they gave him the same answers we got, that our case was pending AP and we would be notified when it was complete. The liaison told me even though his inquiries wouldn't get my husband out of AP, it was good that the consulate knew our case was being watched by them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Not really. They can make inquiries, but there wont be any effect until after the petition is outside of normal processing time guidelines. Even then, it is negligible in most cases. But it does make one feel like they are doing something by "shaking the tree." Plus everywhere I have read the congressman or senator cant really expedite the administrative processing. I am just sick of trying and get disappointed. And my biggest worry is to get denied after I waited like over a year.

I still think it's a good idea to get an elected official to inquire on your behalf, we did. Even though it won't expedite it, the consulate will know your case is being watched, and it certainly won't hurt.

I still think it's a good idea to get an elected official to inquire on your behalf, we did. Even though it won't expedite it, the consulate will know your case is being watched, and it certainly won't hurt.

I agree-my husband's AP is going on 2 years in March and Ive contacted the congressmen and senator to no avail. They stated something similar to what mimolicious was saying; it doesnt expedite AP but it lets the consular section know that there are important people back in the Us keeping a close watch on the progress of the case. Plus if you were to ever take extreme legal steps against the dept of State (which I hope for noone to have to ever reach that point) this would be a necessary step to have tried first to solve the issue. Stay positive and keep updated about the progress of your case. Hopefully it will be over soon enough.

Timeline

I have been in ap for 8 months and half now .. my wife contacted both of congressman and senator and it didnt help out .. everytime we contact the embassy they always have the same reply is that our case is undergoing administrative processing and we have to wait .. but i never heard of people got denied after ap .. hopefully all aps will end soon .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone going through mandatory Administrative Processing also known as 221(g) please listen carefully. I've been through this painful procedure and I can guarantee you involving a congressman, senator or even a president will not expedite the process in any way. Just stay calm and wait. It takes maximum of two years but majority of the cases are resolved within a year. mine took exactly one year and my friends took 18 months. Let them do their thing and they will email you and send you a letter in mail once its completed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.