sersa

getting maried after arriving usa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all

I have a question. i am one of the gettting greencard for 2014. and also i had a interview to usa embassy (so got visa on my passport). I am thinking to come in May. the question is that if i get married with my gf, can she get also greencard, or i need to wait to be usa citizen. is it possible anyone can get greencard, get married with anyone who has greencard, or not?. Is there a way to help me?

Thanks

You can apply for a spousal visa even if you just have a greencard. The whole process goes faster if you're a citizen, but not all that much faster. Go ahead and get married and apply for your new wife.

Incidentally, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get your greencard? Did a family member petition for you, or what? Just curious.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you would have been married first, then you could have included your spouse in your DV application. As it is now, you will have to marry and petition for her as a permanent resident - F2A category. it takes years, though Feb. visa bulletin shows priority date of Sept. 2013, so that is not too bad of a wait time right now.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America - OP would be filing as LPR ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you applied and won your visa via lottery as an UNMARRIED person, you must enter the US as such.

Once you've entered the US using your Diversity Visa, you can immediately go back to your home country and marry your GF. Return to the US and file i130 for her.

She will immigrate in a year or more depending on the movement of priority dates for F2A category in the Visa Bulletin.

Edited by apple21

If you applied and won your visa via lottery as an UNMARRIED person, you must enter the US as such.

Well not quite true, if one wins the lottery and then marries a long term partner (with documented proof of long term relationship) before visa interview - they can add them to the case and be processed together for immigrant visa.

Also possible, person applies as single, marries before the lottery results are out (May 1?), adds spouse when sending paperwork to KCC after selection.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

My advise to you is, please consult a good lawyer before you get married. These things are tricky.. It always better to get advise from seasoned laywer before you do anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

She needs to apply for an F1 ( student visa ) from her home country. Visas are issued outside the US. Because you were not married at the time for an interview you will need to marry and apply for an I 130 for your spouse once you marry. That takes about a year for the I130 to process and then you are delayed by the wait per the visa bulletin which can be no delay to years . If she can get an F1 ( which would be harder if she is marrried to you as she has to prove ties to home country ) she can be in the US on the F1.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

Lots of people win GC lottery as the unmarried people, but they get married after winning, and send the documents to KCC as a married couple. Or they get married after sending their papers to KCC but before the interview.

But if you had an interview already, you can't take your girlfriend/wife with you. You can sponsor her after entering the US by yourself.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am not in usa now. we are thinking to come in may. and apply for F1 visa for my GF or any advise i can accept

F1 will take quite some time may be 1 year to get the visa if your GF is not prepared with everything and is starting from scratch like GRE, TOEFL, applying to Univs etc etc & Good amount of money for the University and the total process and again it is a doubtful thing, good amount of money is riding on luck unless she has above average scores in academics and she gets admission into a above average or very good university, then the visa chances are high.

Spousal visa has very high chances of acceptance since the decision is not made on the Officers' discretion instead on hard facts, unlike non-immigrant F1 visa which is dependent on his discretion, But regarding delay its almost 1 - 1.5 year or more for what I have seen some of the cases here in VJ site (research more on the delay).

So for F1 good money is riding on luck and academics, for Spousal Visa I believe there is somewhat delay. Both have their own pros and cons.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.