Nimi

Administrative Processing (H1B)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My Visa Case is in pending since November 2013, It is under going Administrative processing, is there anyone who is going through the same.

Any recent Approvals/Rejections on H1B.

Edited by Nimi

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Dear this is the common process for Pakistan me and my family have been waiting since May 13... CO puts most of the peoples in AP, no one can give the solution for this time consuming process and no one can pridict the time frame for this stupid process

Timeline

Dear, I have found some useful info regarding Visa security checks in administrative processing, I think it would to useful to share...

There are three kinds of security checks affecting nonimmigrant visa processing:

-- The Visas Condor: Heightened Security Checks

The specific criteria for Visa Condor checks are classified. However, these checks are likely based on several factors.

- The information that may trigger greater scrutiny include unexplained travel to predominantly Muslim countries in the last 10 years, prior employment in sensitive areas, military service for certain nationals, or specialized skills or training that may have military or security implications.

- Your country of birth, citizenship, or residence may also require a Visa Condor check. If you were born in a "T-7" or "List of 26" country, you will likely be subject to a Condor security check.

According to U.S. Department of State reports, approximately 80% of Visas Condor clearances are completed within 30 days. If your Visas Condor check has been pending for over 90 days, you may call the VO public inquiries line at (202) 663-1225 or email usvisa@state.gov.

-- Visas Mantis: Technology Alert List
The Visas Mantis security check is used when potentially sensitive technologies are involved in your visit, work, studies or research in the United States. This check is used when you are involved in any of the 15 categories found on the Critical Field List (CFL) of the State Department’s Technology Alert List (TAL).

The State Department contends that 80% of Visas Mantis checks are completed within 30 days. If your Visas Mantis check has been pending for over 90 days, you may contact the Problem Resolution Unit at saoinquiries@state.gov. Many foreign nationals and immigration attorneys have reported a substantial increase in the number of Mantis “hits” since 2003, particularly for nationals from Russia, China and Hong Kong.

-- NCIC Criminal Database Checks

Consular officials also search the National Crime Information Center (“NCIC”) database for information on criminal convictions before issuing a visa. Many people with common names receive a “false hit.” This occurs when someone with the same or similar name appears in the NCIC database with a criminal conviction. These false hits are occurring with increased regularity, and may take between 4 and 6 weeks to process. The U.S. government recently added 7 million names to this database, of which as many as half were Latino. This has resulted in a significant increase in the number of false hits and delays for persons with common Latino names.

False hits are a major cause of delays in visa processing for visa applicants. False hits can occur in both the Condor or NCIC criminal database. People with common names such as John Smith, Juan Gonzalez, Xian Lee or Ali Mohammad are extremely likely to have a “hit” in one of these databases.

If you have a common name or an arrest or conviction, you may want to consider processing your visa as a Third Country National in Mexico. Some consulates in Mexico have implemented a pilot fingerprint program. This program allows posts to process clearances on "false" hits in the same day, while clearances for positive hits are often received in two days.

Generally, when you contact Public Inquiries at (202) 663-1225 or email usvisa@state.gov. you will be told that the application has been received and is undergoing additional administrative review, and that the consulate will contact the applicant once this review has been completed.

Unfortunately, there isn't any detailed official explanation why administrative processing is taking so much longer to process. This problem may be connected to Department of State or other agencies. One explanation provided by a Department of State representative is that the delay in administrative processing is due to an increase in the visa applications volume.

It is important to understand that once administrative processing has been requested, nothing can be done to expedite the processing of an individual administrative processing. Sometimes, the administrative processing has been completed, but the consulate has not yet contacted the visa applicant.

Edited by Nimi

Timeline

After a consular officer decides that an Administrative processing is necessary, that officer or another consular employee drafts an administrative processing request, which contains information from the applicant’s forms, documents, and interview. That request case may be reviewed and approved by a supervisor. It is then transmitted to the State Department’s Visa Office in Washington, DC. Any supporting documents should be summarized in the administrative processing request and scanned.
The Visa Office distributes the administrative processing request to the State Department’s Bureau of Nonproliferation and other government for review. These other agencies contacted, depending on the technology involved, may include the FBI, CIA, Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Enforcement, Drug Enforcement Agency, Office of Foreign Asset Control, Interpol, and others. The Visa Office then summarizes those agencies’ responses and prepares an Administrative processing stating that the Visa Office does or does not have an objection to issuing the visa, or that more information is needed.
The Administrative processing is returned to the Consulate, where a consular officer makes a decision to issue the visa, refuse the visa, or temporarily refuse the visa to investigate further or to request additional information from the applicant. A visa issued after an administrative processing will contain an annotation showing the date of the SAO clearance and the purpose of the trip, such as “Clearance received 10-JUN- 2012".

Edited by Nimi

Filed: Timeline

Be cautious about any site that claims to provide a complete answer on administrative processing -- some are making educated guesses that may/may not be correct and others are providing flat-out wrong information. I know, for example, that there are no such things any more as Visas Condor checks -- haven't been for quite a few years. Nobody can specify exactly what the administrative processing is for in any given case nor how long it will take. Frustrating, but that's the reality of it.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am sairam , recently on may1 st 2014 I went to h1b visa interview with my dependents in London .The VO lady asked me few questions on my experience , the client and finally VO asked to wait for 20 mins and she gave 221 g form. She retained the I767 form and returned the passports. She said further investigation is

needed ,she rounded the passport and ticked the DSC 160,photos and this plus.

Still now no email nor my case is updated in the pdf site of London.

Basically my am an IT professional working in an MNC from 8 years .From 2 years I am in London on intra company transfer. Earlier I visited US for 2 months on L2

visa and 6 years back I got h1b stamped in Delhi (but could not make it ,due to personal reason).Now I don't know why they put me in AP, 2 weeks but no response

from them.Can anyone suggest me.

• 5 months later...
Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

That is absolutely correct

Be cautious about any site that claims to provide a complete answer on administrative processing -- some are making educated guesses that may/may not be correct and others are providing flat-out wrong information. I know, for example, that there are no such things any more as Visas Condor checks -- haven't been for quite a few years. Nobody can specify exactly what the administrative processing is for in any given case nor how long it will take. Frustrating, but that's the reality of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.