ShowMeState

K-1 Visa Marring my ex-wife Sister(merged)

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Several Post removed the OP did not come here to be judged. If you cannot answer his questions without attacking and judgement do not reply or further action will be taken ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Because of the complexity of the situation I would most certainly hire an immigration attorney who will be able to tell you exactly what to expect and to help you should any problems and red flags arise. With cases like this your immigration attorney will also represent you at the interview. Your situation has too many red flags to go through the process a second time without some legal and professional guidance.

Day 0 - 12/06/2013 - AOS package mailed

Day 4 - 12/10/2013 - Hard copy NOAs received in mail (x4)

Day 10 - 12/16/2013 - Biometrics appointment notice received

Day 37 - 01/13/2013 - Successful Biometrics appointment

Day 46 - 01/22/2014 - Online status changed to "testing and interview"

Day 52 - 01/28/2014 - Received hardcopy of interview notice for 03/04/2014

STILL WAITING ON EAD NOTICE

Also in the I-864 part 8, Sponsor's Contract it states "Note that divorce DOES NOT terminate your obligations under this Form I-864" so I am just wandering if the OP is in a position to sponsor another person???

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also in the I-864 part 8, Sponsor's Contract it states "Note that divorce DOES NOT terminate your obligations under this Form I-864" so I am just wandering if the OP is in a position to sponsor another person???

As long has someone meets the income requirements, they can sponsor as many as they choose to.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Because of the complexity of the situation I would most certainly hire an immigration attorney who will be able to tell you exactly what to expect and to help you should any problems and red flags arise.

Maybe yes and maybe no. This is a question about the seriousness of the new relationship and to eliminate any fears that a CO might construe it to be part of a larger fraud case.

With cases like this your immigration attorney will also represent you at the interview.

No, I do not believe anyone but the beneficiary can represent themselves at their interview.....most surely the fiance could be present, if the Embassy allows that, but a complete stranger....I don't think so.

Your situation has too many red flags to go through the process a second time without some legal and professional guidance.

The guidance would most likely be to wait to petition the new fiance until some time has passed to establish the new relationship. An experienced attorney might suggest marriage and the CR-1 route rather than the K-1.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Key questions that will come up:

Did you file your ex-wife's ROC jointly? The CO will want to verify if evidence submitted with the ROC was all true and correct.

Did you know after one year that she prefers females? If at the time the conditional residence was based on a marriage the CO will want to verify that the marriage was not for the purpose of procuring an immigration benefit. Perhaps that was not the intent at the onset but if they feel you knew about her liking of females they may further scrutinize the ROC that was just approved as well as the new petition. The norm on same sex relationships on the island will be taken into consideration.

When did you start the new relationship? The dates indicated may bring further scrutiny on the ROC you recently submitted certifying that all evidence submitted was true and correct to justify a valid marriage and give your ex-wife immigration benefits.

Lastly, petitioning a sister will be scrutinized as visa fraud....

The questions are redundant therefore no answer is required and I answered as the possible thought process of the CO. Things to think about....

Good luck,

Edited by MIBEN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I once told my wife I would have been better off if I had married her sister instead

She slapped me so hard it still hurts to this day!

As for OP you go ahead and file. Worst case they might put you in AP. If your story is true then things should resolve themselves. It may just take longer than usual.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Cant you just send a letter explaining the situation with your application and send lots of proof that your relationship is legitimate. There probably will be scrutiny but it might work out.

Edited by woohoo25

Removal of Conditions 

4/10/17 - i751 sent

4/13/17 - i751 received

5/3/17 - Check Cashed

5/5/17 - NOA 1 (dated 4/13)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think I would wait at least 6 months after the divorce before filing for a K-1 visa. That way it looks like you got divorced, then started to get close with your ex-wife's sister.

With the exception of the whole in-law thing, I went through something like that last year. I brought my Russian fiancee here in 2008 on a K-1 visa and we were married just over 4 years when I found out she was having an affair. She had become a US citizenship a few months before that. 10 days after my divorce was final last March, I met another Russian woman online (this time from the Ukraine) and we started to grow very close. An immigration attorney told me I might be called in for questioning during the early stage of the application if I applied for a new K-1 visa too soon.

But it took awhile before my new love agreed to marry me. By the time we applied for the K-1 visa, it had been 8 months since my divorce. The USCIS California Service Center approved it in 3 weeks. We are now waiting for the NVC to send the file to Kiev.

So I recommend waiting at least 6 months. Build up lots of evidence of your relationship in the meantime and don't submit any evidence from before your divorce. In fact wait a couple of months before you start gathering evidence of the relationship and go there to see her. The longer you wait, the better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Lots and Lots of evidence of a real relationship will be needed. Not only do you have to overcome the whole I got divorced and want to bring another immigrant. You also have the I got divorced and now I want to bring another member of her family here.

I would say make at least three trips to visit the new flame and have about pounds of evidence to provide with the case. Don't think affidavits from any of her family members will count for much.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Thread back open, 8 off topic posts removed and 4 members thread banned. Post constructively or do not post.~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You'll be an ant under a magnifying glass on a hot summer day.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I will try to look at this with as little judgement as I can.

What you need to do is you have to look at it from an outside perspective. If you break it down it looks like this:

- Got 1 woman in to the country succesfully through the K-1 Visa.

- Marriage ends after 3 years, the time it takes for her to not need to still be married to you.

- You intend to repeat the process with another woman shortly after (I believe?) the divorce.

- The woman you intend to marry is your now ex-wife's, sister, that you have not had a romantical relationship with for a good/long period of time that you can prove . I say this while assuming the divorce is recent, therefore you couldn't have been in a different relationship before the divorce.

All in all, I understand the situation. As much as it sounds very suspicious and something that could be in a movie, it's possible it's all true. However, you have odds piled up against you from almost every single aspect of what these workers will be looking for.

- High risk country where a lot of K-1 Visa fraud happens.

- Divorced right after 3 year period ended on a prior K-1 Visa and attempting to file for a new K-1 with a different woman. <- This one is a major concern. Even if they overlook the fact that these women are sisters. The timing for this is just incredibly suspicious.

- Little proof of a longterm/ongoing relationship.

- Very, very, very suspicious circumstances where both women are from the same family.

Now I absolutely don't mean to offend you or your love interest and/or ex-wife. But are YOU certain you're not being played? These are women coming from a country where the living conditions are less than optimal for the poor. I don't know anything about them, they could be very well off which makes this point moot. But how certain are you that they're not just using you to get in to the country?

These are all questions you need to ask yourself before you even consider doing this. Because with the circumstances you gave us there will indeed be red flags galore.

And if you and your new lover, can not convince the people working your case that beyond all doubt you two are incredibly, hopeleslly and completely in love and devoted to each other. Then I personally don't think that you will have much chance of this new petition being accepted.

All that being said, I'm sorry for your divorce and good luck in the future.

Excellent, objective, and comprehensive comment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.