riyadc

Filing Tax as Single or Married?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like I had said before, you can hand write with a black pen in the place where it says spouse SSN just put "non-resident alien (NRA)" or just leave it blank and you can also say something like "spouse is currently abroad or not in the USA" in the section where it says "explanation of changes".

Are you the foreign spouse or the USC? I'm not exactly sure by what you mean when you say "it does not make sense not to even put my name on the 1040x form" but I assume if you mean you are the foreign spouse, then you're right that you don't need to put your info in the section where it says "if joint return, enter spouse info" because you are filing MFS not jointly.

I am the foreign spouse, and I am in US but I don't have ITIN or SSN.

I guess we will fill me not having SSN or ITIN or spouse is non resident alien where it says explanation of changes and won't fill anything about me on above.

Since I am in the US, will I be able to amend tax return from single to MFS without putting SSN or ITIN, will IRS accepts NRA for spouses who are in US ?

Thank you very much

I am the foreign spouse, and I am in US but I don't have ITIN or SSN.

I guess we will fill me not having SSN or ITIN or spouse is non resident alien where it says explanation of changes and won't fill anything about me on above.

Since I am in the US, will I be able to amend tax return from single to MFS without putting SSN or ITIN, will IRS accepts NRA for spouses who are in US ?

Thank you very much

Have you not gotten an SSN yet or are you just waiting for it? If you guys are just waiting for it, then you can just wait until it is assigned to you and then amend the tax return. You normally have 3 years to amend a tax return. I suppose you can put in NRA for the SSN and in the explanation say that you are "waiting to be assigned an SSN". I'm curious to know why you don't have an SSN yet though.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you not gotten an SSN yet or are you just waiting for it? If you guys are just waiting for it, then you can just wait until it is assigned to you and then amend the tax return. You normally have 3 years to amend a tax return. I suppose you can put in NRA for the SSN and in the explanation say that you are "waiting to be assigned an SSN". I'm curious to know why you don't have an SSN yet though.

hi

Can you please check your message? I send you a message about the details of my situation.

Thank you

I believe you (riyadc) are right. Looking at this info below in 1040 instructions, you choice would be a good and reasonable one.

Married Filing Jointly

You can check the box on line 2 if any of the following apply.

• You were married at the end of 2013, even if you did not live with your spouse at the end of 2013.
  • Your spouse died in 2013 and you did not remarry in 2013.
  • You were married at the end of 2013, and your spouse died in 2014 before filing a 2013 return.

Nonresident aliens and dualstatus aliens.

Generally, a married couple cannot file a joint return if either spouse is a nonresident alien at any time during the year. However, if you were a nonresident alien or a dual-status alien and were married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of 2013, you can elect to be treated as a resident alien and file a joint return.

Married Filing Separately

If you are married and file a separate return, you generally report only your own income, exemptions, deductions, and credits. Generally, you are responsible only for the tax on your own income. Different rules apply to people in community property states; see Pub. 555.

However, you will usually pay more tax than if you use another filing status for which you qualify. Also, if you file a separate return, you cannot take the student loan interest deduction, the tuition and fees deduction, the education credits, or the earned income credit. You also cannot take the standard eduction if your spouse itemizes deductions.

Be sure to enter your spouse's SSN or ITIN on Form 1040. If your spouse does not have and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN, enter “NRA.”

I believe you (riyadc) are right. Looking at this info below in 1040 instructions, you choice would be a good and reasonable one.

Married Filing Jointly

• You were married at the end of 2013, even if you did not live with your spouse at the end of 2013.
  • You were married at the end of 2013, and your spouse died in 2014 before filing a 2013 return.

Generally, a married couple cannot file a joint return if either spouse is a nonresident alien at any time during the year. However, if you were a nonresident alien or a dual-status alien and were married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of 2013, you can elect to be treated as a resident alien and file a joint return.

If you are married and file a separate return, you generally report only your own income, exemptions, deductions, and credits. Generally, you are responsible only for the tax on your own income. Different rules apply to people in community property states; see Pub. 555.

However, you will usually pay more tax than if you use another filing status for which you qualify. Also, if you file a separate return, you cannot take the student loan interest deduction, the tuition and fees deduction, the education credits, or the earned income credit. You also cannot take the standard eduction if your spouse itemizes deductions.

Be sure to enter your spouse's SSN or ITIN on Form 1040. If your spouse does not have and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN, enter “NRA.”

USCIS STAGE :

05/03/13 : I-130 Filed

05/06/13 : NOA1

11/22/13 : Case transfered to NSC

12/12/13 : NOA2

12/16/13 : Shipped to NVC

NVC STAGE :

01/08/14 : NVC recieved the case

02/06/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

02/11/14 : DS-261 Available and completed

02/12/14 : Received e-mail to pay AOS Fee

02/13/14 : AOS bill invoice available and paid

02/15/14 : AOS Mailed

02/18/14 : AOS status shows paid

02/19/14 : NVC received AOS package

02/28/14 : Received e-mail to pay IV Fee

02/28/14 : IV bill invoiced

03/03/14 : IV bill available and paid

03/06/14 : IV bill shows paid

02/28/14 : IV package sent to NVC

03/03/14/ : NVC received IV package

03/06/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

03/20/14 : Case Complete

03/27/14 : Received Official Email for Case Complete

CONSULATE STAGE :

04/03/14 : Advance Medical

05/14/14 : Interview

xx/xx/xx : Visa Issued

xx/xx/xx : Visa on hand

Also under that same rule for filing MFS, You can claim an exception for your spouse only if your spouse had no gross income, is not filing a return and was not a dependent of another person.

USCIS STAGE :

05/03/13 : I-130 Filed

05/06/13 : NOA1

11/22/13 : Case transfered to NSC

12/12/13 : NOA2

12/16/13 : Shipped to NVC

NVC STAGE :

01/08/14 : NVC recieved the case

02/06/14 : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

02/11/14 : DS-261 Available and completed

02/12/14 : Received e-mail to pay AOS Fee

02/13/14 : AOS bill invoice available and paid

02/15/14 : AOS Mailed

02/18/14 : AOS status shows paid

02/19/14 : NVC received AOS package

02/28/14 : Received e-mail to pay IV Fee

02/28/14 : IV bill invoiced

03/03/14 : IV bill available and paid

03/06/14 : IV bill shows paid

02/28/14 : IV package sent to NVC

03/03/14/ : NVC received IV package

03/06/14 : DS-260 Available and completed

03/20/14 : Case Complete

03/27/14 : Received Official Email for Case Complete

CONSULATE STAGE :

04/03/14 : Advance Medical

05/14/14 : Interview

xx/xx/xx : Visa Issued

xx/xx/xx : Visa on hand

• 2 months later...

Is there anyone help me out how to fill out form 1040x married filing separately no ssn, do my wife need to sign (initial) next to her name ? or just put her name. How long it take to get amended. Thanks for your support.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

Is there anyone help me out how to fill out form 1040x married filing separately no ssn, do my wife need to sign (initial) next to her name ? or just put her name. How long it take to get amended. Thanks for your support.

What are you amending?

MFS to MFJ - if so, then yes you will need the signature of each spouse.

Single to MFS - no, only the filing spouse needs to sign the return.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
  • My wife came to America in August 2013 with a K1 fiance visa.
  • We got married here in October 2013.
  • She has a SSN, which she got shortly after arriving with the K1 visa.
  • We filed for an Adjustment of Status in November, she got fingerprinted, but no interview yet.
  • I work. She doesn't.

How do I file my taxes?

I have seen so many different stories on what to do while browsing the internet, I was hoping to get a straight answer by simply asking.

02/01/2013 - Notified via e-mail that the petition had been accepted

02/05/2013 - Notified the alien registration number has been changed

07/01/2013 - USCIS website page for my case updated - K1 Petition Approved, NOA2 mailed

07/15/2013 - Visa paperwork arrived at NVC

07/23/2013 - Visa paperwork arrived at U.S. Embassy in Tokyo - Packet 3 mailed

08/12/2013 - Interview at U.S. Embassy scheduled for 9:00 a.m. - APPROVED!!!!
08/29/2013 - Flight booked for U.S.

10/05/2013 - Wedding date planned

What are you amending?

MFS to MFJ - if so, then yes you will need the signature of each spouse.

Single to MFS - no, only the filing spouse needs to sign the return.

Yes I am amending previous 2 years where I filled as single when I am married. 2013 I am going to file MFS because of sign and time limit. So to amend from single to MFS do the spouse need to sign on 1040x, and spouse info...pls

Married Filing Jointly

Hi, I am amending previous 2 years where I filled as single when I am married because of the inexperience A/C, But this time 2013 I am going to file MFS because of sign and time limit. So to amend from single to MFS do the spouse need to sign on 1040x, and spouse info...pls

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.