Big World

Previous K-1, now divorced, how to get A-number?

13 posts in this topic

I was married before. I brought my wife over on a K-1 visa in 1995 from Thailand. She obtained her citizenship, got a taste of freedom, and decided she wanted to go her own way. We recently got divorced, and don't have a great relationship now.

Now I am more wise, and met a great girl while living overseas. A K-1 is the option we want to try.

On question 11 of the I-129F petition, they ask for any previous sponsorships, and ask for the A number. So much time has passed, that I don't know how to find this information out. I cannot ask her, and am not sure if she still even has that paperwork. Does anyone know how I can find out, or if this is even relevant? Is there a phone number to call?

Also, at one point, we filled out a form to sponsor her mother. She got a green card but left a few years ago. She came over, but I don't know her A-number either. Will I need this in the future?

If this is going to be trouble, maybe I can get a K-3 visa instead.

Thanks for any advice!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Not N/A, for the beneficiary you put NONE, for the petitioner (USC) you put N/A. The beneficiary will receive a A# once the petition is approved.

Indeed you will need yo submit your divorce decree and may need a waiver, you should check the IMBRA forum.

Edited by Luis&Laura

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I think it is the A number of the person you want to petition for,

No... on question 11 on the I-129F, it's asking whether the petitioner has petitioned for any other aliens in the past... and if so, to enter *their* A Number in the relevant box. No idea what to do about not being able to find the number though... but I'm sure some knowledgeable people around here will have the answer! :)

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

No... on question 11 on the I-129F, it's asking whether the petitioner has petitioned for any other aliens in the past... and if so, to enter *their* A Number in the relevant box. No idea what to do about not being able to find the number though... but I'm sure some knowledgeable people around here will have the answer! :)

Yes, the question is asking for previous A number for my ex, not the A number for my future wife. Is there a phone number for the USCIS that I can call to ask? Anyone know that number?

Filed: Timeline

Big World,

What you don't know is 'unknown' ?

Yodrak

I was married before. I brought my wife over on a K-1 visa in 1995 from Thailand. She obtained her citizenship, got a taste of freedom, and decided she wanted to go her own way. We recently got divorced, and don't have a great relationship now.

Now I am more wise, and met a great girl while living overseas. A K-1 is the option we want to try.

On question 11 of the I-129F petition, they ask for any previous sponsorships, and ask for the A number. So much time has passed, that I don't know how to find this information out. I cannot ask her, and am not sure if she still even has that paperwork. Does anyone know how I can find out, or if this is even relevant? Is there a phone number to call?

Also, at one point, we filled out a form to sponsor her mother. She got a green card but left a few years ago. She came over, but I don't know her A-number either. Will I need this in the future?

If this is going to be trouble, maybe I can get a K-3 visa instead.

Thanks for any advice!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, if you look at the NOA1 and NOA2 notices, A# are assigned earlier on. If you look above the beneficiary's name, the A number is there. :)

Met online 5-11-06

Met in person 8-12-06

Sent in I-129F 9-18-06

NOA1 10-2-06

No touches

NOA2 12-13-06

Actually, if you look at the NOA1 and NOA2 notices, A# are assigned earlier on. If you look above the beneficiary's name, the A number is there. :)

Ah, yes... That would be exactly where I would look, if I had the paperwork from 1995. I guess the sad lesson in this is to save a copy of this paperwork forever, since you never know when you will need it.

I did call the USCIS today. The advice given was to put as much information in that blank as I knew, and to put a note stipulating it with the form (and to put a notice saying "see attached for more info"). The lady I spoke with said they didn't even know who they could talk with inside the USCIS to find out this information, but not to leave it blank. I guess mine is on target for an RFE.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Big World

Filed: Timeline

Big World,

Don't expect an RFE if you indicate on the form that you do not know what the A# is. If you provide the information that you do know, they'll track it down. It may take longer than if you were able to provide the numer, but if you don't have it you don't have it.

Yodrak

I did call the USCIS today. The advice given was to put as much information in that blank as I knew, and to put a note stipulating it with the form (and to put a notice saying "see attached for more info"). The lady I spoke with said they didn't even know who they could talk with inside the USCIS to find out this information, but not to leave it blank. I guess mine is on target for an RFE.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Big World

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry, now I understand what he meant, and of course, Yodrak is correct, "unknown" will suffice as they'll understand that you actually don't know what it is. It shouldn't be a problem.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.