jamster0105

Husband asked me to leave

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

She or he can always go back home. My hubby took a leave of absence from his job rather than quitting. We did not open joint accounts for several months. In other words he didn't burn his bridges back home before making sure it worked out. When he received his AP he then returned home for two months to tie up all his loose ends.

What would a USC have to gain from scamming a foreigner and bringing them here as an immigrant after spending thousands of dollars to do so?

Why can't a marriage just "not work out". Why does it always have to be a scam? The problem is when an immigrant comes here, their marriage doesn't work out (as a lot of them don't) and then insist on remaining and obtaining a green card by any means possible, including lying.

Why is the USC obligated, according to you, to follow up on the promise of sponsorship? Would you like to be on the hook for possibly the rest of your life to support someone you only lived with for a month or a few months. That is what the sponsorship means.

Edited by belinda63

Love means never having to say "You're sure it's mine?"

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I appreciate all of the feedback everyone has given. Just to share a few more details: When she left her husbands house, she asked him to give her a signed document indicating that he asked her to leave the house. She also has cell phone video of his verbal abuse towards her.

As far as proving a relationship, this will be the hard part. His attitude went down the toilet a very short time AFTER they got MARRIED and filed the AOS I485. He's also lied to us about his wife as he called us and told us that she was the one that threatened to move out of the house and in with one of his friends. It's hard to prove who's telling the truth, but given her written and video evidence, plus the fact that she left the state to come stay with us, that to me proves that she has no where else to go. If she had stayed with her husbands male friend, it would appear that she is having an affair with him, which is definitely not the case!

The reason she wants to stay here is quite simple, actually: She gave up and entire 15 year teaching career in Manila to come be with this man in the US. She, unlike many others, was living a comfortable life in the Philippines and chose to give that up for this guy. Unfortunately, unlike the US, it's not easy to re-establish yourself in the Philippines after leaving. Now, she is here, with no other friends besides us, and since she is stuck here, without any savings, why not try to make a new life for herself in the US, LEGALLY? I personally don't have a problem with this.

One more thing I'd like to add: Our friend had no knowledge that my wife was even living and married in the US when she arrived. She had only found out through a neutral person in the Philippines that we were living here. Prior to their reconnection, they hadn't had contact in over 10 years. I'm only putting this out there because some people may say our friend deliberately came here so she could eventually wind up with us. Definitely not the case. We are just looking for good, unbiased advice on how to help our friend the legal way. Thanks again everyone for your time

Sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune, jamster! It is very saddening indeed that she left her happy life in Philippines just to live a life with somebody she <apparently> doesn't know too much on the personal level. It's not uncommon, especially for K1 visa holders, such a yours truly. But that was her decision, same as most of the immigrants here. As you have indicated, she was a mature & educated woman, so she could have probably saw certain probabilities, such as arguments on the daily basis and even relationships not working out. <I hope.> I mean, it could happen to anybody.

I was a teacher too for 5 years in the Philippines, part-time only and had another full-time job. My point is I can always go back either to teach again or do another job, should my marriage doesn't work out. She still has a family and friends back home as support. Anyway, if your friend had 15 years of teaching experience, I don't see any problem why she can't go back again as well and teach, since she only missed, what? less than a semester / term. Why does she still want to stay if the very reason why she's here is for this man?

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Three pages of derailment removed two members thread banned, any further derailment will result in the same~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

What benefit would a USC gain from scamming a foreigner? Spending thousands of dollars to bring the to the US as a scam?

Maybe not the word scamming....but everyone does something for a reason, you can believe the USC is getting something from the relationship or they would not be doing it, just as the person coming over is gaining something......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Pretty obvious I would have thought, just hit the PI and MENA forums.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You, being a Filipino, probably would understand that there is a certain amount of "pride" towards returning after a failed relationship abroad. I've been happily married to my Filipina wife for over 6 years now. We have two beautiful little boys and are both working towards a positive future. However, according to my wife, she understands completely the "pride" thing.

Not to judge you, but my wife says it is VERY common in the Philippines for family and friends to gossip and be nosey about the person who traveled abroad. It's all too common for someone like my wife's friend here to go home to the Philippines to not only struggle at getting her life back, but having to deal with the criticism of others. Yes, we Americans are not perfect. We tend to be nosey with the people around us as well, but for the most part, we keep our personal feelings to ourselves or between close friends or loved ones. It is, however, common for other Filipinos to confront one another and belittle someone who "failed" in an American marriage, or any other foreign country for that matter. It's almost not worth going home to the Philippines to have to deal with the "BS" of gossip on a failed relationship along with the other struggles she'd have to deal with. To each their own, I guess.

For the people who keep asking why, ask yourself the same question? If you gave up almost everything, as our friend did, would it be easy for you to piece things back together? Remember, put yourselves in her shoes..... It may be easy for one person to hop a plane and pretend their experience didn't happen, but it's not so easy for others. Why not try to make it work here, since she is already here? Maybe she can't get a teaching job here in the US, but being an educated person from the Philippines who speaks nearly fluent Englsih, I think it's an exaggeration to say she'd be working in a dead end job making minimum wage. Just my opinion though. All I know is if this happened to any other close friend or family member of mine, I'm going to do everything I can to help that person while they are still here legally.

Sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune, jamster! It is very saddening indeed that she left her happy life in Philippines just to live a life with somebody she <apparently> doesn't know too much on the personal level. It's not uncommon, especially for K1 visa holders, such a yours truly. But that was her decision, same as most of the immigrants here. As you have indicated, she was a mature & educated woman, so she could have probably saw certain probabilities, such as arguments on the daily basis and even relationships not working out. <I hope.> I mean, it could happen to anybody.

I was a teacher too for 5 years in the Philippines, part-time only and had another full-time job. My point is I can always go back either to teach again or do another job, should my marriage doesn't work out. She still has a family and friends back home as support. Anyway, if your friend had 15 years of teaching experience, I don't see any problem why she can't go back again as well and teach, since she only missed, what? less than a semester / term. Why does she still want to stay if the very reason why she's here is for this man?

First time chatting on yahoo messenger: Jan 6, 2007
Met in person in Manila: May 12, 2007
Returned to Manila: Sep 25, 2007
Will you marry me?: Sep 26, 2007
Wedding: Jan 5, 2008
Mailed I-130 Petition application: Aug 11, 2008
NOA1 for I-130: Aug 15, 2008
Touched (I-130): Aug 21, 2008
Mailed I-129F (K-3) application: Aug 22, 2008
NOA1 for I-129F (K-3): Aug 27, 2008
Touched (K-3): Sep 1, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 8, 2008
Touched (I-130): Oct 9, 2008
Approved (K-3 and I-130): Feb 11, 2009
Interview: 6/3/2009- Approved!
POE: 8/25/2009!

AOS
Sent: 3/3/2011
NOA1: 3/11/2011
Biometrics: 4/5/2011 - everything went fine!
RFE: 4/11/2011
RFE response received by USCIS: 4/28/2011

N-400

Filed: 7/17/2014

Text receipt: 7/23/2014

You, being a Filipino, probably would understand that there is a certain amount of "pride" towards returning after a failed relationship abroad. I've been happily married to my Filipina wife for over 6 years now. We have two beautiful little boys and are both working towards a positive future. However, according to my wife, she understands completely the "pride" thing.

Not to judge you, but my wife says it is VERY common in the Philippines for family and friends to gossip and be nosey about the person who traveled abroad. It's all too common for someone like my wife's friend here to go home to the Philippines to not only struggle at getting her life back, but having to deal with the criticism of others. Yes, we Americans are not perfect. We tend to be nosey with the people around us as well, but for the most part, we keep our personal feelings to ourselves or between close friends or loved ones. It is, however, common for other Filipinos to confront one another and belittle someone who "failed" in an American marriage, or any other foreign country for that matter. It's almost not worth going home to the Philippines to have to deal with the "BS" of gossip on a failed relationship along with the other struggles she'd have to deal with. To each their own, I guess.

For the people who keep asking why, ask yourself the same question? If you gave up almost everything, as our friend did, would it be easy for you to piece things back together? Remember, put yourselves in her shoes..... It may be easy for one person to hop a plane and pretend their experience didn't happen, but it's not so easy for others. Why not try to make it work here, since she is already here? Maybe she can't get a teaching job here in the US, but being an educated person from the Philippines who speaks nearly fluent Englsih, I think it's an exaggeration to say she'd be working in a dead end job making minimum wage. Just my opinion though. All I know is if this happened to any other close friend or family member of mine, I'm going to do everything I can to help that person while they are still here legally.

Yes, pride comes as a big player in life's decision. Migrating to another country is a big pill to swallow, but side effects have to be anticipated. I can go on with the premise that she has more to go back for in Philippines, and sorry to say this, almost nothing to hold on to here in America.

Ok, let me pause a bit, What's the status of her AOS as of this moment, by the way? She has to realize that her LEGAL status depends solely on her marriage, since she was here on a K-1 visa. VAWA is a strong case, but basing it from a short-lived marriage is, IMHO, a long shot.

I truly wish the best for your friend.

Edited by sweet cakes

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Says it all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi, let me share my thoughts. I'm a Filipina and had been to the US through K-1, but I came home before my 90 days and didn't marry. I understand your reasons why you prefer your friend to have a legal capacity to stay in the US despite of failure of marriage with no AOS / GC yet.

In some cases, I agree that "pride" maybe one of the reasons of not coming back to home country. In my case, I never felt hurting my "pride". Eversince, even before coming to the US, it was always on my mind, that if my relationship ain't working out, despite of my exerted efforts to make it work, I will surely come back home 100%, than to stay out of status or become illegal in the US.

It really depends on individual situation and what is really the ultimate reason of coming to the US ? Is it about love and marriage? advancement ? or maybe both ?

-- InHisTime

Attagirl! dancin5hr.gif

After all, it doesn't matter what other nosey people says of a failed marriage (which can happen to anybody, by the way) when one goes back to Philippines. It's still way way better than a life that is struggling where to go and what to do next.

Edited by sweet cakes

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, pride comes as a big player in life's decision. Migrating to another country is a big pill to swallow, but side effects have to be anticipated. I can go on with the premise that she has more to go back for in Philippines, and sorry to say this, almost nothing to hold on to here in America.

Ok, let me pause a bit, What's the status of her AOS as of this moment, by the way? She has to realize that her LEGAL status depends solely on her marriage, since she was here on a K-1 visa. VAWA is a strong case, but basing it from a short-lived marriage is, IMHO, a long shot.

I truly wish the best for your friend.

What do you mean by that?

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

What do you mean by that?

Excuse my figurative play with words, honey. But when the doctor prescribe you meds, don't you ask the doctor or even bother researching on your own what the probable side effects are? Similarly,when the OP's friend was asked by his then fiance to move to another country to marry and live a life with him, didn't she bother asking if he can commit a happy life with her? And even if the USC did, haven't she weighed the consequences and realize the other probability? Success and failure of a relationship / marriage always have that 50% probability of either case happening. But when one has decided to leave everything behind, that pill has to be taken.

Hope the semantics won't get this topic to derailment <again>. happy.png

Edited by sweet cakes

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Excuse my figurative play with words, honey. But when the doctor prescribe you meds, don't you ask the doctor or even bother researching on your own what the probable side effects are? Similarly,when the OP's friend was asked by his then fiance to move to another country to marry and live a life with him, didn't she bother asking if he can commit a happy life with her? And even if the USC did, haven't she weighed the consequences and realize the other probability? Success and failure of a relationship / marriage always have that 50% probability of either case happening. But when one has decided to leave everything behind, that pill has to be taken.

Hope the semantics won't get this topic to derailment <again>. happy.png

Ok, honey. :)

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.