89 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Latvia
Timeline

B-Abolish AOS all together. It does make a mockery of the whole system where people who do it the 'correct' way get seperated for months or years and other people just skip the queue.

It would also mean that more B2s would be approved if the possibility of immigration intent is taken away.

Better to just abolish this system all together and rebuild something better from scratch. It seems to do little to prevent fraud/scam marriages, I fail to see a reasonable explanation for why the process has to be so long and arduous when a tourist visa is adjudicated very quickly, even if it isn't an immigrant visa. Proof of marriage (K1s may require a bit more review), with police/medical records, should be sufficient in most cases - basically that a marriage is legal (who cares why they wanted to get married, people get married for stupid reasons all the time), that the intending immigrant is not a danger, and that the resident spouse is not below the poverty line should be all they care about.

04/14/12 - First date in the U.S.

02/26/13 - Married

06/3/13 - Petition Filed (had been unsuccessfully trying to move to Europe)

06/6/13 - NOA1 (National Benefits Center)

12/19/13 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

03/3/14 - I130 Approved

03/18/14 - NVC Received file from USCIS

04/28/14 - Received/Paid AOS Bill

05/01/14 - Received/Paid IV Bill

05/14/14 - Sent AOS Package

05/30/14 - Sent IV Package

06/05/14 - Submitted DS-260

06/19/14 - Received checklist for AOS, resubmitted required corrections

08/09/14 - Case completed at NVC

08/14/14 - Received Interview Date

09/08/14 - Interview date - Approved!

09/11/14 - Raced into town, threw car into a parking spot, and ran down city streets to get to the courier company 2 minutes before the close to get passport back

10/10/14 - POE Entry

Filed: Timeline

Better to just abolish this system all together and rebuild something better from scratch. It seems to do little to prevent fraud/scam marriages, I fail to see a reasonable explanation for why the process has to be so long and arduous when a tourist visa is adjudicated very quickly, even if it isn't an immigrant visa. Proof of marriage (K1s may require a bit more review), with police/medical records, should be sufficient in most cases - basically that a marriage is legal (who cares why they wanted to get married, people get married for stupid reasons all the time), that the intending immigrant is not a danger, and that the resident spouse is not below the poverty line should be all they care about.

There have been so lightening quick adjudications on both K1 and CR1 on here and I am talking about less than a month. So they can git er done if they want to.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Dude u are right...anyone can adjust....these ppl here scaring you with lifetime ban are just tired jealous visa filers....all this issue wid intent is quite laughable. ...

Also ppl who have gone through the process wants everyone to experience that lol yea right. ....u can adjust when ever you feel like.....I knw some folks adjust u wud not believe. ....

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I don't have an issue with the people who stay and adjust status, it's legal and those who do it don't get much of a hard time from USCIS so why not. I think that if I'd known about the I-130 backlog before we married me and my wife might have gone down that route, it does grate that doing things the correct way takes so long though, maybe if the processing of K1's and CR1's was more streamlined and less erratic then less people would adjust status on B2's or VWP.

I do think that it should be made harder to adjust status from B2's and VWP though. I understand that people can make snap decisions based on love but suddenly deciding that you don't want to return home and want to stay stretches credulity because if you hadn't planned to stay and adjust status all along you'd have sooo many loose ends. Using myself as an example when I was in the US with my wife the trip before we got married I briefly pondered marrying her then and adjusting status, ok I could have quit my job from the US but what about my house, all my belongings, my car, saying goodbye to relatives and so many more things. It doesn't really add up in a lot of cases.

If they made it impossible to adjust status on a B2 visa or using the VWP then it would make the system fairer and less open to abuse, and also make it easier to grant entry to people who are in the middle of getting a K1 or CR1 as they wouldn't have to worry about them adjusting status.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

There's only a handful of people here who are rabid when they see B1/B2 and AOS in the same sentence.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are quite a few countries where Police Reports are not needed anyway, the obvious one being Mexico.

Not any longer. They are now listed as a requirement on the Juarez checklist for a K-1 > http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ciudadjuarez/231771/PDFs/oct2013k1k4visa.pdf

I believe the travel,state.gov site still states they are unavailable, but that is not true. They can be obtained in Mexico and those applying there since Oct. must bring them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I can understand certain frustrations from those who have gone the longer route and filed for a K1/CR1 however those that do decide to drop everything to stay and file from a tourist visa also have to go through the consequences of that decision as well. I know from my own personal experience it was not an easy decision to decide to not get on a plane and go home. I didn't get to say goodbye to my family and friends and I know I hurt a lot of people by doing that. I had to quit my job suddenly after ten years and suffer the consequence that my reputation with that company may well be tainted. I had to put the burden on my brother to clear out my apartment, sell my things or put them in storage. I only have a suitcase of vacation clothes to live with at the moment until I can get someone to send or bring things over. I lost my security deposit on my apartment as I left so suddenly, terminating my phone contract early was expensive and overall financially it is a struggle not being able to work yet. I am going to miss my sisters baby being born in a couple of months. The hardest was I didn't get to have my family and friends at my wedding... For some people they couldn't do that and that is why they go home and file for a K1 but for my own personal situation my relationship won and it was more urgent to stay with my now husband. Did I choose the easier option? Well I think it is a matter of opinion and depends on each person's own circumstances. I'm only at the start of my journey but I'm very grateful that we were able to decide to stay together and AOS as it may well have saved our relationship that had been weakening due to the distance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I can understand certain frustrations from those who have gone the longer route and filed for a K1/CR1 however those that do decide to drop everything to stay and file from a tourist visa also have to go through the consequences of that decision as well. I know from my own personal experience it was not an easy decision to decide to not get on a plane and go home. I didn't get to say goodbye to my family and friends and I know I hurt a lot of people by doing that. I had to quit my job suddenly after ten years and suffer the consequence that my reputation with that company may well be tainted. I had to put the burden on my brother to clear out my apartment, sell my things or put them in storage. I only have a suitcase of vacation clothes to live with at the moment until I can get someone to send or bring things over. I lost my security deposit on my apartment as I left so suddenly, terminating my phone contract early was expensive and overall financially it is a struggle not being able to work yet. I am going to miss my sisters baby being born in a couple of months. The hardest was I didn't get to have my family and friends at my wedding... For some people they couldn't do that and that is why they go home and file for a K1 but for my own personal situation my relationship won and it was more urgent to stay with my now husband. Did I choose the easier option? Well I think it is a matter of opinion and depends on each person's own circumstances. I'm only at the start of my journey but I'm very grateful that we were able to decide to stay together and AOS as it may well have saved our relationship that had been weakening due to the distance.

But you didn't have any legal consequences compared to someone who wait forever to get just the i-130 approved and then all the drama about Affidavit of support, and then consulate and the eternal wait. The IR-1 route can also cause difficulties like what you had to go through. The AOS with B2/VWP is a loop hole and needs to be plugged, Eventually, someone in the USCIS/DOS will realized it is getting abused. What do you think of tourist who come intentionally during their pregnancy and then deliver here so that their kids are born citizens. They just go back to their home country and when the kids grow up ( college age) they send them back to get all the benefits of the citizenship

http://world.time.com/2013/11/27/chinese-women-are-flocking-to-the-u-s-to-have-babies/

Govt. moves slower, but it will move. When they realize the trend in AOS with visit visa and VWP, they will put an end to it.

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Hi GALBA78

I meant to put this with the copy of your quote lol, I'm in a similar position as you so I know how you feel, it's not an easy decision to make & you often feel torn up inside but now the journey has been started it has to be seen through to it's end. As has been said before everyone makes this journey in different ways & at the end of the day it's through personal choice in what way it's done.

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd say that your situation is what AOS was designed for. You didn't plan on moving when you entered and made a spur of the moment decision. If I'd known it was an option when I overstayed my VWP with my ex fiance I might well have done the same. Although seeing as we've since broke up I'm rather glad I didn't.

You made the decision after arriving and in knowledge that it would cause difficulties at home and I don't think there's many who would argue that you was right or wrong.

It's the people who quit the job, sell the house/end the lease, say all their goodbyes, jump on a plane and walk through border control saying 'Oh yes, I'm only coming for a couple of weeks vacation' when they know all along that they are lying and planning to AOS who need to be stopped.

It's these people who make it so that all AOS cases look suspicious, and it's these people who make it so hard for so many thousands of other people to legitimately visit the US.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The issue is not people migrating with an option to legalise their status, it is migrating without.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This thread has gotten somewhat off-topic. It doesn't matter what your personal opinion of AOS is (although I do think a number of you have to look up what the definition of 'loophole' is). The point is to stop coming into this forum and spreading misinformation and trying to scare people off of doing something completely legitimate - we have enough experience here to warn them about real problems they might run into - claiming to be US citizen, misrepresentation, whatever. about the ability to AOS in your own forums if you want, but this particular one is to offer help and advice on AOSing from a number of different visas, it is not about opinions. Opinions about AOS belong in the General Immigration Discussion forum.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.