Bella27

Interim EAD please help!

6 posts in this topic

I am also really interested in this topic for a K1 visa holder.

This is copied from another forum posting:

Cesar: "Once you enter with a K1 visa, you are given a I-94 which is a paper that says when you came into the US. That same paper works by default as a work permit until your visa expires in 90 days. After it expires, you are not allowed to work until you receive your EAD."

Another member" I94 is not a permit to work. Only a few port of entries (i.e. JFK) issues a work permit at your point of entry and ONLY with that permit you are allowed to work!"

I am so confused! Someone help please?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I am also really interested in this topic for a K1 visa holder.

This is copied from another forum posting:

Cesar: "Once you enter with a K1 visa, you are given a I-94 which is a paper that says when you came into the US. That same paper works by default as a work permit until your visa expires in 90 days. After it expires, you are not allowed to work until you receive your EAD."

Another member" I94 is not a permit to work. Only a few port of entries (i.e. JFK) issues a work permit at your point of entry and ONLY with that permit you are allowed to work!"

I am so confused! Someone help please?

Thanks!

An I-94 does never ever authorize you to work when you came on a k1. You need a ssn and ead.

Also the rumor that JFK still gives out work permits is still floating around but not true. Apparently back in the day they used to put a work permit stamp in your passport but that's not the case anymore. I came through JFK and I'm currently waiting for my ead. No stamp or permit was given.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Cesar: "Once you enter with a K1 visa, you are given a I-94 which is a paper that says when you came into the US. That same paper works by default as a work permit until your visa expires in 90 days. After it expires, you are not allowed to work until you receive your EAD."[/size]

This is wrong. You have to have an EAD before starting to work.

Edited by HK12

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

• 9 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

@emmaandcarlos

I think the JFK rumor is correct. I arrived in JFK airport as my port of entry last April 19, 2014 thru a k1 visa. I didn't work here in Myrtle Beach until May 28, 2014. When I was hired i was hesitant for our HR to ran an E Verify check since at that time I havent applied for my greencard yet. To my surprise, our HR informed me that I pass the E verify check and Im legal to work.

** I think about 4 days after arrival we went to Social Security to apply for a SSN ...also we dont have a problem because when Social Security officer check my visa and i94 it showed "Legal alien allowed to work".

**in a surprising fate....when I was hired for a full time year round job here in myrtle beach last September I fail on the e verify. So we immediately file I 765 but until now im waiting for a miracle for them to release it early.

Hope this will be a leasson to k1 holders. After your arrival and marriage file I765 and adjust your status right away. Bellieve me if you will not do it it would really be a physical, emotional and mental stress.....

Staying at home and nothng to do is BORING.

An I-94 does never ever authorize you to work when you came on a k1. You need a ssn and ead.

Also the rumor that JFK still gives out work permits is still floating around but not true. Apparently back in the day they used to put a work permit stamp in your passport but that's not the case anymore. I came through JFK and I'm currently waiting for my ead. No stamp or permit was given.

I think the JFK rumor is correct. I arrived in JFK airport as my port of entry last April 19, 2014 thru a k1 visa. I didn't work here in Myrtle Beach until May 28, 2014. When I was hired i was hesitant for our HR to ran an E Verify check since at that time I havent applied for my greencard yet. To my surprise, our HR informed me that I pass the E verify check and Im legal to work.

** I think about 4 days after arrival we went to Social Security to apply for a SSN ...also we dont have a problem because when Social Security officer check my visa and i94 it showed "Legal alien allowed to work".

**in a surprising fate....when I was hired for a full time year round job here in myrtle beach last September I fail on the e verify. So we immediately file I 765 but until now im waiting for a miracle for them to release it early.

Hope this will be a leasson to k1 holders. After your arrival and marriage file I765 and adjust your status right away. Bellieve me if you will not do it it would really be a physical, emotional and mental stress.....

Staying at home and nothng to do is BORING.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No. The I-94 does not authorize a K-1 entrant to work, no matter which POE is used. A K-1 is designated as an alien allowed to work in order for them to get an SSN. The SSN comes with the stipulation "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" printed on it. The authorization will be the EAD or green card. Once the green card is received, you can go back to the SSA to update your immigration status and will receive a new SS card without that stipulation printed on it.

You can file for an EAD before you apply for AOS, BUT it will cost you $380 and only be valid for as long as your I-94 is. Since it takes 2-3 months to receive, it is a pointless waste of money. It is much better to file for the EAD at the same time you file for AOS. The fee for the form is waived when filing and the EAD that is issued in that case will be good for a year, which is usually plenty of time while waiting for the green card approval. The entry stamp on the I-94 is not authorization to work.

If you are working without an EAD or green card, then that work is not legally authorized.

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. Any work authorization based on a nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé (e) would also be eligible to apply for an extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765 together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.