16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hey there,

I'm somewhat new to the whole K-Visa process, my fiancé is from the UK and we will be filing soon but have some questions that I have not been able to find answers to regarding tax forms when submitting.

My father claimed me as a dependent last year on his taxes, however this year I will be filing on my own. I am a nanny and currently trying to sort out my taxes but I was wondering- how strict are they about having current tax returns? I know I am supposed to show that I can financially support him when he is here, but I am worried that I will have to wait to file the I-129f until I get my most recent tax returns back. Does anyone know if I could submit the I-129f using the tax forms (where I was claimed as a dependent) from last year, even though they are not technically mine? Do I even need to submit tax information? I was checking over the I-129f form and did not see anything about it anywhere.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!!

02/04/14: I-129f Sent

02/0714: I-129f Delivered

02/11/14: NOA1 Electronic Copy Received

02/1314: Alien Registration Number changed

04/21/14: NOA2 Electronic Copy Received

04/29/14: NVC Received Case / LND Number Received

05/06/14: London Received Case

05/13/14: DS-160 Submitted

05/15/14: Medial Exam

05/18/14: Readiness Form Submitted

05/22/14: Packet 3 Received

06/19/14: Interview - APPROVED!!!!

06/23/14: Visa Issued

07/28/14: POE Chicago!!!

08/18/14: Got married :)

09/17/14: AOS/EAD/AP Packet Sent

09/18/14: AOS Packet Received

09/22/14: EAD Electronic Notice of Action

11/25/14: EAD/AP Approved

12/04/14: EAD/AP Received

05/23/15: Big Reception With Both our Families!

06/26/15: Letter of Approval!

07/02/15: Greencard Arrived in Mail!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

You don't have to send any tax forms with your I-129 form. After you get approved by the USCIS and then the NVC you will need to send a bank statement and a letter from your employer to your fiance for his interview at the embassy.

At least this is what my fiance is putting together for me right now. We got our NOA2 and are now collecting documents or my potential interview in a few months in Germany.

As far as I know, you won't need any tax return documents. Eventually maybe for your interview after getting married in the US then and adjusting his status.

I hope I am right and I helped you. No matter what, file the I-129 asap because it takes a while till they even get to it. So you will have months to think about the rest :) and :(

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I forgot: Only if you are self employed you will need the tax return. So I don't know if that applies to your case as you work as a nanny? But still, it will take months until you actually have to send these documents for your fiance.

And you can also have a co-sponsor, in case you don't make enough money yet to support him.

I personally wouldn't wait until I have all documents until I file the K1 visa. I can't wait to finally be together for good ater 2 years now, so it depends :)

Filed: Timeline

In an unrelated question, what happens if one gets married on k1 and does not file taxes together?

I forgot: Only if you are self employed you will need the tax return. So I don't know if that applies to your case as you work as a nanny? But still, it will take months until you actually have to send these documents for your fiance.

And you can also have a co-sponsor, in case you don't make enough money yet to support him.

I personally wouldn't wait until I have all documents until I file the K1 visa. I can't wait to finally be together for good ater 2 years now, so it depends smile.png

Timeline

I think that the IRS considers nannies as being self-employed for whatever reason. We want to file as soon as possible but I want to make sure we have all the necessary information first. I was also looking into a co-sponsor if not having my tax return was a problem, but didn't find much on it. Thanks for your help and good luck to you!! biggrin.png

I personally wouldn't wait until I have all documents until I file the K1 visa. I can't wait to finally be together for good ater 2 years now, so it depends smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey there,

I'm somewhat new to the whole K-Visa process, my fiancé is from the UK and we will be filing soon but have some questions that I have not been able to find answers to regarding tax forms when submitting.

My father claimed me as a dependent last year on his taxes, however this year I will be filing on my own. I am a nanny and currently trying to sort out my taxes but I was wondering- how strict are they about having current tax returns? I know I am supposed to show that I can financially support him when he is here, but I am worried that I will have to wait to file the I-129f until I get my most recent tax returns back. Does anyone know if I could submit the I-129f using the tax forms (where I was claimed as a dependent) from last year, even though they are not technically mine? Do I even need to submit tax information? I was checking over the I-129f form and did not see anything about it anywhere.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!!

As stated, you will file the I-134 affidavit of support with the P3 packet at the Consulate, so you have time. Sending your fathers return means nothing. They want to establish YOU have the financial resources to support your new spouse.

I see no reason to delay filing. It will be well past tax day before your 129 is approved. Then you can submit your 2013 transcript, pay stubs, 1099, bank statements etc.

If you have any concerns if you meet the financial requirements, you should start looking for a sponsor / co-signer now.

Edited by slowlyman

Timeline

I think that the IRS considers nannies as being self-employed for whatever reason. We want to file as soon as possible but I want to make sure we have all the necessary information first. I was also looking into a co-sponsor if not having my tax return was a problem, but didn't find much on it. Thanks for your help and good luck to you!! biggrin.png

If you are indeed self employed, as I am, the filing process is much the same. You just don't have an employment letter. You will have a 1099, tax transcript, and bank statement. Again, they just want to verify you can support your new spouse. They don;t really care how you make your money....................Well, within the confines of the law, Lol

Timeline

Thank you for your response. I guess my main question is, when filing, do they require a recent tax return? Or just bank statements/pay stubs?

As stated, you will file the I-134 affidavit of support with the P3 packet at the Consulate, so you have time. Sending your fathers return means nothing. They want to establish YOU have the financial resources to support your new spouse.

I see no reason to delay filing. It will be well past tax day before your 129 is approved. Then you can submit your 2013 transcript, pay stubs, 1099, bank statements etc.

If you have any concerns if you meet the financial requirements, you should start looking for a sponsor / co-signer now.

Timeline

From the 134 instructions:

Submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources,
as appropriate:
Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial
institutions with deposits, identifying the following details
regarding the account
Date account opened;
Total amount deposited for the past year; and
Present balance.
B.
Statement(s) from your employer on business stationery
showing:
Date and nature of employment;
Salary paid; and
Whether the position is temporary or permanent.
C
. If self-employed:
Copy of last income tax return filed; or
Edited by slowlyman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have a little question I dont know where to search and I'm already pissed. What is the minimum salary wich my fiancee need to have ( shes the american part) .

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you for your response. I guess my main question is, when filing, do they require a recent tax return? Or just bank statements/pay stubs?

As noted above, no tax returns are needed at the time of filing the I-129F. The tax info and /or co-sponsor info is needed at the interview at the consulate.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Hello everyone! I have a little question I dont know where to search and I'm already pissed. What is the minimum salary wich my fiancee need to have ( shes the american part) .

It's on the USCIS website under form I-864p.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

You are eventually going to have to fill out an Affidavit of support they ask on it for the income of the last 3 yrs of income on taxes. I am at this stage now in filling all this out. From my understanding they want copies of W-2 or 1099. If you own a home an it can be sold within a year you can place this in as a asset. The rules say something about adding a car like it has to be in working order to clam it. If you have kids and get child support you can add this in as well.

You do not need your tax info when you file at first, but you will need the information when your fiancée goes to the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.