Rebecca Jo

Is the oath ceremony required?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was quite frankly glad to have it over and done with. The ceremony obviously meant more to some than others , I found the cheesy Lee Greenwood song so annoying. Couldn;t they have picked something else? I mean really!

I didn't come from a war torn country and neither did I arrive as a refugee so I suppose that is why my stance is so blasé, I became a US citizen for convenience really. I didn't want to continuously be asked about my US status every time I came and went. I wanted to be treated like everyone else and have the same rights and priviledges.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The bolded part, I looked at it this way, at my age and being female I couldn't see being called to fight but I took it as if all heck broke out it would be about protecting my family. And you darn tooting I would protect my family by all means necessary, but that probably would never come to that. Zombies probable have a better change of happening =P

Precisely how I felt about it. No one is going to hand me a gun - I'd be useless.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

No issue? HA HA!!!

Religion is such a good bandage excuse for everything.

You DO NOT NEED a reason to have a BBQ, EVER! lol

Is there something the matter, Misha'sgirl?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I was quite frankly glad to have it over and done with. The ceremony obviously meant more to some than others , I found the cheesy Lee Greenwood song so annoying. Couldn;t they have picked something else? I mean really!

I didn't come from a war torn country and neither did I arrive as a refugee so I suppose that is why my stance is so blasé, I became a US citizen for convenience really. I didn't want to continuously be asked about my US status every time I came and went. I wanted to be treated like everyone else and have the same rights and priviledges.

I agree with the "normalization" bit.

It probably shouldn't matter to either of us (husband or I) what the words would be or what the ceremony would be like. He would not be naturalizing because it meant anything (emotionally) for him to be a USC. It wouldn't be a life changing event or cause for celebration. It would just be another step in the process. On the appointed day, probably just best to "unplug" and get on with it.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Waiver or Modification of the Oath of Allegiance.

In certain circumstances there can be a modification or waiver of the Oath of Allegiance. These circumstances are as follows:

* If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require you to provide documentation from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.

* If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words on oath and so help me God included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).

* USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the persons physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.

Source http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter5.pdf

Certainly was a discussion in my family, like they are going to take a 45 year old woman and toss a gun in her hand. On the other hand, if bad guys came her to rape her and her daughter, she would have no problems shooting them. In my wife's home country, the people were not allowed to own a gun, but the crooked military and police were under strict orders from their dictator. Least here, she is allowed to have a gun.

Ha, for many, God is money or themselves, they consider them a God. So exactly whom or what is this God? If some get up tight about this, should find something more worthwhile to get up tight about.

With the third item, if in that condition, and came here via marriage, their marriage is not even a valid contract.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I find this conversation interesting.

I guess some people can't care less about the USA, just want to be a citizen for convenience and all the oath ceremony "show" is an annoying step they would love to skip, much less willing to swear to defend the country if needed, etc..

For other people that still see this country as the land of opportunity, freedom, etc.. perhaps came escaping persecution or war in their countries, to become a citizen is very emotional and they look forward each and every part of the journey, including the end with the songs, the flags, etc..

To each its own, but to me it looks a bit "fake" to want to be citizen, and then find annoying that they have to go through the Oath ceremony, nobody is forcing anyone to be citizen it is your choice, your GC is good enough, so if no ready to do what is required then why going through the hassle?

FYI the same day ceremonies, like mine was, includes the speeches, the videos, the singing, etc... in my group of around 40/50 people there was no flag waiving, but some were crying and visibly emotional. It lasted about 40 minutes or so. I understand that when the ceremonies are schedule for thousands, go much longer (obviously) and can have more added "for show", as news cover them at times.

I imagine some of you won't like my post, sorry.... but when I started my journey and it was not an easy one, I knew what it would entail and I was OK with it, no "tailoring to my preferences" needed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I have discovered that public Demonstrations of nationalism and national pride is not always viewed the same by all cultures... For many, to love where you live does not require the marching band and flag waving... They find it strange we do that here... So for many, not wanting to publicly rah-rah-rah invokes a wierd feeling... However, the USA requires this in order to be one a citizen, thus, those choosing to become a citizen must do this as a prerequisite. My husband had a few issues with the "idea" of the bearing arms clause, but figured at 40+ years old figured he would not be one called. Besides, there are loopholes to not have to be drafted and the fact he retains his Italian citizenship anyway...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I find this conversation interesting.

I guess some people can't care less about the USA, just want to be a citizen for convenience and all the oath ceremony "show" is an annoying step they would love to skip, much less willing to swear to defend the country if needed, etc..

For other people that still see this country as the land of opportunity, freedom, etc.. perhaps came escaping persecution or war in their countries, to become a citizen is very emotional and they look forward each and every part of the journey, including the end with the songs, the flags, etc..

To each its own, but to me it looks a bit "fake" to want to be citizen, and then find annoying that they have to go through the Oath ceremony, nobody is forcing anyone to be citizen it is your choice, your GC is good enough, so if no ready to do what is required then why going through the hassle?

FYI the same day ceremonies, like mine was, includes the speeches, the videos, the singing, etc... in my group of around 40/50 people there was no flag waiving, but some were crying and visibly emotional. It lasted about 40 minutes or so. I understand that when the ceremonies are schedule for thousands, go much longer (obviously) and can have more added "for show", as news cover them at times.

I imagine some of you won't like my post, sorry.... but when I started my journey and it was not an easy one, I knew what it would entail and I was OK with it, no "tailoring to my preferences" needed.

Government tailors to no one.

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please understand, we want you all to pick up a gun when asked.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.