Rebecca Jo

Is the oath ceremony required?

55 posts in this topic

Thanks, Nich-Nick. That was a really good idea.

I found some news links for natz ceremonies in Charleston, West Virginia. It looks like they do them 2 or 3 times a year. I even found a youtube vid (albeit only 60 seconds long).

Seems they sometimes have a couple of people sing. Some politicians making speeches. The video showed each applicant standing up and saying where they were from.

Funny thing this though. I found an article in a Charleston paper where a guy complained about seeing one of the applicants reading the Pledge of Allegiance from a piece of paper. He opined that should not be permitted.

Is it any wonder my husband would be fine to naturalize if it weren't for the flag-wavers?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Sounds like yours will be the worst for your situation...much more personal where each stands up and they bring in choirs or soloists and such. Maybe you could make up some health related story or phobia and ask for a personal oath in a judges chambers. Ours was a court session, even in a double decked basketball arena. It was a federal judge and "district xyz court is now in session", gavel, etc.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Sounds like yours will be the worst for your situation...much more personal where each stands up and they bring in choirs or soloists and such. Maybe you could make up some health related story or phobia and ask for a personal oath in a judges chambers. Ours was a court session, even in a double decked basketball arena. It was a federal judge and "district xyz court is now in session", gavel, etc.

biggrin.png

While I've been having this discussion with everyone here, the husband came into the room. So I asked him - again - what he would like to do. I always get the same response. "I'm not interested in doing it for the patriotism and the flag waving. You know how I feel about that. If it would save immigration hassles, then yeah. Otherwise I'm not bothered".

He asked me what the oath says. So we googled it and I read it to him. He was OK with it till I got to the three sentence fragments about bearing arms etc. He started looking down and around at that point and was distinctly, obviously uncomfortable. He asked me what the Oath of Allegiance is for aliens to the UK. We looked it up. Pretty straightforward - allegiance to the Queen and support of the crown. No mention about gun-toting or military service. He got up out of his chair and left the room.

I kind of think it's quite all right for a country to expect allegiance if you want to be part of it. I think it's a bit "in your face" to bang the war drum while doing it.

I dunno. It's a real toss-up as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

biggrin.png

While I've been having this discussion with everyone here, the husband came into the room. So I asked him - again - what he would like to do. I always get the same response. "I'm not interested in doing it for the patriotism and the flag waving. You know how I feel about that. If it would save immigration hassles, then yeah. Otherwise I'm not bothered".

He asked me what the oath says. So we googled it and I read it to him. He was OK with it till I got to the three sentence fragments about bearing arms etc. He started looking down and around at that point and was distinctly, obviously uncomfortable. He asked me what the Oath of Allegiance is for aliens to the UK. We looked it up. Pretty straightforward - allegiance to the Queen and support of the crown. No mention about gun-toting or military service. He got up out of his chair and left the room.

I kind of think it's quite all right for a country to expect allegiance if you want to be part of it. I think it's a bit "in your face" to bang the war drum while doing it.

I guess it is what it is. If you want to become an USC you have to agree to it and if you don't it might not be for you. You don't HAVE to be a USC.

Edited by Sean86

Filed: Other Timeline

Didnt he take outh at US embassy in UK for his visa? at time it was for telling truth to CO and this time its for gaining Citizenship. So whts wrong with it?

Tell him not to be a Drama boy at this stage when he has to go through from the door not from the roof. cuz hes not a SUPERMAN

Waiver or Modification of the Oath of Allegiance.

In certain circumstances there can be a modification or waiver of the Oath of Allegiance. These circumstances are as follows:

* If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require you to provide documentation from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.

* If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words on oath and so help me God included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).

* USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the persons physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.

Source http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter5.pdf

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think you are reading too much into my question.

some offices offer same day oath, but it's on you to dig and find out which ones. If 'that office' not offer it, then

hey ! make it an all day event, including a tailgater bbq party, pinatas (plural), and a video crew.

and do remind your husband that 'support of the Crown' includes bearing arms for the Crown.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didnt he take outh at US embassy in UK for his visa? at time it was for telling truth to CO and this time its for gaining Citizenship. So whts wrong with it?

Tell him not to be a Drama boy at this stage when he has to go through from the door not from the roof. cuz hes not a SUPERMAN

I wonder if Superman ever had a green card?dancin5hr.gif

some offices offer same day oath, but it's on you to dig and find out which ones. If 'that office' not offer it, then

hey ! make it an all day event, including a tailgater bbq party, pinatas (plural), and a video crew.

and do remind your husband that 'support of the Crown' includes bearing arms for the Crown.

British soldiers, "boys" and Armalites. Not something unknown to him. Hence the reason he gets a bit "squiggly" about any kind of Nationalism.

Hardly a reason for an all day bbq, I think.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It's such a life-changing event, I'll beg you two to rethink it, make it a party.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

biggrin.png

The bolded part, I looked at it this way, at my age and being female I couldn't see being called to fight but I took it as if all heck broke out it would be about protecting my family. And you darn tooting I would protect my family by all means necessary, but that probably would never come to that. Zombies probable have a better change of happening =P

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Its suppose to be an enjoyable ceremony and according to some office managers, like the old one in St, Paul. The more the merrier, like waiting until at least 5,000 applicants are to receive their certificate after a long nine month wait. Security lines are super long, and really no else there cares if you received your certificate outside of your immediate family. Just another person making that line even longer.

In regards to legality, you can lip sync your oath, but at your interview, you already read and signed the oath in front of an officer. You should stand however at the oath ceremony. Some have a congressman or some other politician attend, so you can learn how good they are and vote for them at the next election.

In our cases, weren't even required to sign the certificate in front of an officer, just hand it to you and tell you to sign it at home. But you better check it first, if any typos on it, will cost you 400 bucks and another 6-12 month wait. We also got to watch patriotic videos on an old 27" TV set. Then a impersonal message from the president of these United States. And a tiny US flag we can wave that appears to be made in China.

No refreshments, and typically a line to use the rest room, heck lines every place. And a long for us, 450 mile drive and using a very valuable vacation day.

Would have been much happier if they gave us that certificate at the end of the interview.

Tried my best to get my stepdaughter included with her mom, she barely turned 18, and it wasn't our fault they misplaced my I-130 for her that caused another two month delay. But 18 is 18, no ifs, ands, or butts. So was another two year wait, 1,350 miles of driving, three vacation days used up, another 680 bucks plus that much in transportation cost. But the final reward was, we were finally through with the USCIS.

And you better be very good while waiting for the oath letter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No issue at all. Just a question.

No issue? HA HA!!!

Waiver or Modification of the Oath of Allegiance.

In certain circumstances there can be a modification or waiver of the Oath of Allegiance. These circumstances are as follows:

* If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require you to provide documentation from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.

* If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words on oath and so help me God included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).

* USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the persons physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.

Source http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter5.pdf

Religion is such a good bandage excuse for everything.

British soldiers, "boys" and Armalites. Not something unknown to him. Hence the reason he gets a bit "squiggly" about any kind of Nationalism.

Hardly a reason for an all day bbq, I think.

You DO NOT NEED a reason to have a BBQ, EVER! lol

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.