Rebecca Jo

Is the oath ceremony required?

55 posts in this topic

"Sentimental muck" lol...clever with the words! But seriously...just sit through it...then you can live the rest of your life as a USC.

......which gives one the distinct privilege of paying US taxes for life even if they don't live in the US?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

......which gives one the distinct privilege of paying US taxes for life even if they don't live in the US?

You don't have to become a USC if you don't want to. But obviously you found something beneficial in it.

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

You don't have to become a USC if you don't want to. But obviously you found something beneficial in it.

....well - since I was born here....................

Then not meant for you obviously......................................

..........well as you quoted me, I thought you were speaking to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

..........well as you quoted me, I thought you were speaking to me.

Oh did I quote you? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to waste my time.

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

Oh did I quote you? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to waste my time.

cray5ol.gif

oops8rh.gif

Then your husband doesn't have to become a citizen, what's the issue?

No issue at all. Just a question.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Because it's rather sentimental muck. Much like a high school graduation.

Exactly.

I just looked at the Guide to Natz on USCIS and it looks like you can request a same day oath on the day of your interview.

The answer to your initial question is 'yes', the oath ceremony is mandatory in the sense one must be sworn in, to become a US citizen. Public or private, the oath is a requirement.

If your husband does not want to do the flag waving and all he can simply attend the ceremony, recite the oath and be done with it.

Having said that, citizenship is not a requirement nor is it mandatory and one of its conditions is that the applicant do so of his/her own volition, so chances are your husband may be looking forward to the flag waving experience and all the accoutrements.

Good luck and congratulations to him!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

The answer to your initial question is 'yes', the oath ceremony is mandatory in the sense one must be sworn in, to become a US citizen. Public or private, the oath is a requirement.

If your husband does not want to do the flag waving and all he can simply attend the ceremony, recite the oath and be done with it.

Having said that, citizenship is not a requirement nor is it mandatory and one of its conditions is that the applicant do so of his/her own volition, so chances are your husband may be looking forward to the flag waving experience and all the accoutrements.

Good luck and congratulations to him!

My husband is not a flag-waver in his own country. Although he does water up at any particularly good rendition of "Land of Hope and Glory". :P

But thanks for the nice post.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

My husband is not a flag-waver in his own country. Although he does water up at any particularly good rendition of "Land of Hope and Glory". :P

But thanks for the nice post.

I hear you. My wife has some interesting observations in regards to mob manifestation of patriotism... :-)

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

There are certain things in life that you cannot control - such as being born in a certain place. Some others are the result of your free actions. Applying for a citizenship other than the one you received at birth is one of them. When you apply the government fully discloses what the "whole package" is, including: attending the oath ceremony, listening to "God bless the USA", having to file tax returns every year for the rest of your life, facing the possibility of being called to serve on a jury, and - remotely - bearing arms or performing noncombatant service on behalf of the United States. At the citizenship interview they ask you once more whether you support the constitution and you are willing to give the full oath. If you say Yes, they make you sign the form. At no point does anybody force you to do any of this. You still have the choice of not doing it, and in fact a large majority of the people in the world have not done so, and still live happily without a blue passport.

RJ, google citizenship ceremony [town] and try to find out what they do at your local office. Often there are local news stories you can find describing the ceremony and numbers. Not all make a big deal and some have frequent small group same day oath swearing.

Ours was thousands of people. Houston swears in about 1500 to 2000 every month. So when you get all the families in there too, it was massive and kinda impersonal up in the upper deck where we sat together. You could tune out or be distracted easily and nobody cared or noticed if you waved your flag or not. We skipped the photo op with the judge because there were too many people and we wanted to get to the certificate table in the lobby.

Everybody has a different reaction. Some are completely overwhelmed with emotion because they came from harsh lives and it means a lot to them. The speeches are geared to them really. For others it is a convenience of being able to leave the US for an extended time with no immigration issues to return. But the pomp and circumstance varies by local district, so try to find out what happens where you live.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.