sushma.vj

Will Fiance' able to work on K-1 visa?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Filing for the EAD before filing for AOS is a pointless waste of $380. It takes 2-3 months to receive after filing and your I-94 expires in 90 days. That is also when that type of EAD( category(a )(6 ) ) would expire, so you would have very little to no time at all to actually work. File for the EAD (and AP too) when you file for AOS. The fees for the EAD and AP forms are waived when filed with a pending I-485 for adjustment and that type of EAD( category (c )(9 ) ) will not expire for a year.

If working first thing after entry to the US is important, then you should consider getting married and filing for a spousal visa instead.

This.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

my husband (then fiance) came here on a K-1 visa. he got visa 11/21/12, entered America 11/27/12, we got married 12/20/12. I waited until I had my tax return to file his AOS (costs $1070.00), which was done 4/19/13 and received by them 4/30/13. He had his biometrics appointment 5/24/13 and was approved for work and advanced parole (travel) on 6/21/13, card received by him on 6/29/13. So his EAD (work) and AP (travel) were approved in 63 days according to our timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

As someone else posted, please check the current EAD timelines. Usually it takes between 60 and 90 days after filing for AOS to get your EAD approved. Mine took 65 days, plus another couple of days for delivery.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

@ Kelli and ozzy

Good to know this cause that's what I've been looking at for my fiancé. As soon as he gets here we will marry and get the paperwork started immediately. Thanks for sharing!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife arrived 4-24-13, we were married 6-22-13. We filed AOS, with EAD/AP and it came as a combo card with both on the same card, in about 2 and 1/2 months, we are still waiting on the I-485 conditional GC, and was told it could be April before we get it.

There is no reasonable reason, that you would NOT file for EAD/AP at the same time, it costs nothing, after you pay for AOS..,.,.,.,which we are waiting for, still!

Hi,

I was reading the posts of K1 and like to know if Fiance' can work on K-1 visa if he gets approved and is in USA?

Thanks.

When a foreign fiance comes to the US, it's a good idea to get them acclemated to life in the US. It's certainly going to be different from their country. Don't you want to show her/him around the city, neighborhood?

If working right away is that important, it sounds like money is an issue. If that's the case, and you need your fiance to start working ASAP, maybe bringing them here at this time isn't the best idea.

I find it surprising how many USC do the fiance visa when they can't even meet the basic federal income guidelines. Those minimums are so ridiculously low that if a person can't meet them, I'm not sure how they can survive. My perception may be off because I'm looking at the figures based on living in NYC, whereas other places are much cheaper to live in.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry no working till you file the AOS and have an EAD.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Timeline

When a foreign fiance comes to the US, it's a good idea to get them acclemated to life in the US. It's certainly going to be different from their country. Don't you want to show her/him around the city, neighborhood?

If working right away is that important, it sounds like money is an issue. If that's the case, and you need your fiance to start working ASAP, maybe bringing them here at this time isn't the best idea.

I find it surprising how many USC do the fiance visa when they can't even meet the basic federal income guidelines. Those minimums are so ridiculously low that if a person can't meet them, I'm not sure how they can survive. My perception may be off because I'm looking at the figures based on living in NYC, whereas other places are much cheaper to live in.

Could also be that the person hates being at home and unoccupied. Some people actually like to be productive.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I came on K1, got married and filed for GC, EAD and AP with a date of 4 Nov. So 54 days now and nothing so far other than the NOA1's which are all dated 4 Nov. So I cannot work here yet or go abroad to work and come back. Hope this gives you an idea from someone who is in the process you are talking about right now.

Hi Nobbie,

Thanks for response.

How long did it take to get visa to enter USA since your fiance' filed for K1 visa?

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Can someone please respond, the duration it takes since filing for K1 visa for fiance? As it's my first time filing, interested to know the Process with the timelines.

I did go through the Step-by-Step guide information but it provides instructions for filing. Seeking information from those who actually been through the process.

Please assist. Any information helps.

Appreciate it.

Edited by sushma.vj

Can someone please respond, the duration it takes since filing for K1 visa for fiance? As it's my first time filing, interested to know the Process with the timelines.

I did go through the Step-by-Step guide information but it provides instructions for filing. Seeking information from those who actually been through the process.

Please assist. Any information helps.

Appreciate it.

There is a tab on the top of the page that says Inmigration Timelines, click on K1 visa, and redefine your search for your country at least.

The processing times can be different depending on the case...They can ask for RFE and that can delay a couple of weeks.

The processing times can be really different depending on where the application is sent, texas or california service center.

According to the USCIS website, it is supposed to take 5 months from filing the I-129f to the interview date with K1 approval.

There are VJs here that are still waiting after 5 months for their approval (NOA2), others have been truly lucky, getting their NOA2 in a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.